West Holts 2022

CaledonianGonzo

On 4/23/2021 at 9:33 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Did anyone see her on WH a few years back?  I missed it, but I seem to remember hearing she struggled a bit.

Yeah I can also attest to her being pretty godawful that day but reports that she's upped her game I do love to see. She's getting some main stage slots in this year at festivals which could up her EXP to take on a decent afternoon slot on Pyramid.

On 4/23/2021 at 3:32 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

We're hearing more and more about Valerie June

Yes, she’s great, saw her a few years ago, love the new album. Ideal for WH or The Park

You also mentioned Atlin Gun, they sound really good too, had tickets to see them next month but it’s cancelled. Anything like these two on WH and I’ll be happy

On 4/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, Brave Sir Robin said:

So much great jazz around at the moment, a lot of it from right here in Blighty, but Moses Boyd should be near the top of the list. And he can bring 'SW2' along too (with whom this slinky funky number is a collaboration):

Like it. Agree some superb jazz around currently 

Best band I saw at the last Glastonbury was The Comet Is Coming

On 4/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, Brave Sir Robin said:

So much great jazz around at the moment, a lot of it from right here in Blighty, but Moses Boyd should be near the top of the list. And he can bring 'SW2' along too (with whom this slinky funky number is a collaboration):

Yes, would love to see it. 

17 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Fresh Simz

This album is going to light up the autumn.

still think I'm right that a West Holts headline slot would be better for her than a lower down pyramid slot. She'd have time to have a better show and I think it would be ace in the dark. This is THE album I'm waiting for this year. 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

still think I'm right that a West Holts headline slot would be better for her than a lower down pyramid slot. She'd have time to have a better show and I think it would be ace in the dark. This is THE album I'm waiting for this year. 

She’s not headline level yet 

50 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

'Yet' doing a lot of work here.  If the album goes big - as it looks like it might - then I don't see why it would be unreasonable.

You could be right.

If the album does explode then I reckon early afternoon Pyramid would be where she’d slot in.

Let’s see. 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

You could be right.

If the album does explode then I reckon early afternoon Pyramid would be where she’d slot in.

Let’s see. 

I also think if Glastonbury are serious about gender equality and black lives matters then they need to take some risks. They have been happy to take chances on white men with guitars with much less of a back catalogue. Give her a chance to prove herself. If I get tickets and Little Simz was headlining West Holts there'd have to be a real humdinger of a headliner elsewhere to keep me away. 

20 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I also think if Glastonbury are serious about gender equality and black lives matters then they need to take some risks. They have been happy to take chances on white men with guitars with much less of a back catalogue. Give her a chance to prove herself. If I get tickets and Little Simz was headlining West Holts there'd have to be a real humdinger of a headliner elsewhere to keep me away. 

On that basis do you think a headline WH slot would be "better" than a mid-range Pyramid slot? Smaller stage but higher placing, so maybe less exposure than on the Pyramid?

Personally I think they'd do better going big on WH.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

On that basis do you think a headline WH slot would be "better" than a mid-range Pyramid slot? Smaller stage but higher placing, so maybe less exposure than on the Pyramid?

It would be cool for Simby to finally get a pyramid slot after her other sets on Park and WH, but I think a WH headline would go down better and I have a feeling their could be a really cool live show to go alone with these new album, 

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think it depends on the act for me personally I'd prefer to see her do a headline slot. More chance to put on a show and looking at the work she's put into the last 2 videos it would give her a great opportunity to put across her creativity. I also think for your 'armchair Glastonbury viewer' they probably watch a bit more of the later coverage and there's something about the different vibe of a night time show. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

You imagine she’d got a decent slot because of her back catalogue and upcoming banger of an album, rather than gender or skin colour. 

27 minutes ago, nikkic said:

You imagine she’d got a decent slot because of her back catalogue and upcoming banger of an album, rather than gender or skin colour. 

I agree but you are the one who said you didn't think she was there yet. I merely pointed out that she has a bigger back catalogue than white men with guitars who have and that Glastonbury have made a commitment to both gender equality and black lives matter which means that I feel she should be given the same opportunities as those white men with guitars. 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I agree but you are the one who said you didn't think she was there yet. I merely pointed out that she has a bigger back catalogue than white men with guitars who have and that Glastonbury have made a commitment to both gender equality and black lives matter which means that I feel she should be given the same opportunities as those white men with guitars. 

What I mean is that if they bump her it should be because of her musical talent. Nothing else. 

I love her, but is she as big as Janelle Monae, Justice, Dizzee, Wu Tang, The Jackson’s etc? 

Not a chance. 

Not yet anyway.