Memory Fuckage

CaledonianGonzo

7 hours ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

was there ever a reason given for why those lanes and all the small secret bars disappeared ?

A lot of the SE corner now just feels like more stages and none of the quirky secret stuff that made it cool

Totally agree, I still enjoy it, but it has definitely lost some of its soul! it may have been a bit more DIY but seemed much more creative.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2021 at 11:01 PM, dotdash79 said:

I think when they changed the direction of the West Holts stage it helped make room for it.

Wait, doesn't that mean the crowd - even for a moderately sized crowd, will spill out over the boardwalk? The space they create for the WH means it'd be on the left side of the field and the majority of people will have to watch from a jaunty angle.

22 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Wait, doesn't that mean the crowd - even for a moderately sized crowd, will spill out over the boardwalk? The space they create for the WH means it'd be on the left side of the field and the majority of people will have to watch from a jaunty angle.

It wasn’t changed massively. 

• 11 months later...

Dredging up an old thread but in my wasted state in (I think) 2008 i'm sure I remember my friend and I going to 2 venues in Trash City called the Twisted Disco and Snake Pit. The Twisted Disco gave you glasses to wear which made everything look like you were inside a kaliedoscope. The Snake Pit had drag acts miming to songs, I remember one swinging on a swing singing Poison by Alice Cooper. Anyone else remember these venues?

The same friend also recently recounted a story to me of Glastonbury 2000, she was certain that she had missed coming to see Bowie with me to go see REM instead. I felt bad telling her it couldn't have happened as REM played in 1999 and she most likely went to see them with me.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Dredging up an old thread but in my wasted state in (I think) 2008 i'm sure I remember my friend and I going to 2 venues in Trash City called the Twisted Disco and Snake Pit. The Twisted Disco gave you glasses to wear which made everything look like you were inside a kaliedoscope. The Snake Pit had drag acts miming to songs, I remember one swinging on a swing singing Poison by Alice Cooper. Anyone else remember these venues?

The same friend also recently recounted a story to me of Glastonbury 2000, she was certain that she had missed coming to see Bowie with me to go see REM instead. I felt bad telling her it couldn't have happened as REM played in 1999 and she most likely went to see them with me.   

The Snake Pit definitely existed, you needed a tattoo to enter, temp ones were on sale. 

No idea about the twisted disco.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Possible that there were two different Snake Pits existing at different points in Time I guess.

This blurb says it started in 2009

https://brightfx.co.uk/themed/snakepit.php

I can't remember the specifics of what was there in which year - but it's worth saying that those first few years of Trash City had a lot of changes year to year, and a few more venues that either only appeared once or would be radically changed between festivals. So it wouldn't be a huge shock if the Snakepit had more than one incarnation.

2007-2009 wasn't the "same every year" routine that the SEC has fallen into more recently.

Edited by incident

9 minutes ago, incident said:

I can't remember the specifics of what was there in which year - but it's worth saying that those first few years of Trash City had a lot of changes year to year, and a few more venues that either only appeared once or would be radically changed between festivals. So it wouldn't be a huge shock if the Snakepit had more than one incarnation.

2007-2009 wasn't the "same every year" routine that the SEC has fallen into more recently.

Anus Close only appeared once