Memory Fuckage

CaledonianGonzo

For one reason or another I was looking at the 2019 map and a combination of lockdown, old age and the general passing of time has done for my recollection.

Oddities I spotted:

- Rabbit Hole switched places with the Bimble Inn and moved halfway down The Park

- Glasto Latino in the corner of the West Holts field

- Something called No Average Groove

- Something called Samula

- And did they fix the shape of the Sonic Stage?

Are you also now confused by a Glastonbury that you actually attended?

Webmap-2019-v4-1.jpg

No Average Groove was just a hole in the fence at Silver Hayes that had a DJ both in it.

Samula was just what they called the Cave with a slightly different set up.

I remember seeing the new shape of Sonic on the map but I can't remember what it was like on the ground.

1_41309736-0734-47ec-8096-45bf8e754780.jpg

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Amazing.

What went on at this face shaped......er.....bureau?  Did they sell stamps or something?

We were camped in Pylon and so walked past it a fair amount, I even think we had a brief dance there on our way to bed on Thursday night I could not tell you for the life of me what kind of music was emanating from it, but it had attracted a crowd of similar scale to those you'd find dancing at food stall that was playing some tunes.

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

I think when they changed the direction of the West Holts stage it helped make room for it.

It was ace. I had a LOVELY kip in there to the backdrop of a salsa class when it was too warm out, and was only a hop skip and a jump from a goan fish curry when I came to. That's win-win in my book

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whit?

"This year we also welcome two new bars – The Taphouse (situated in Leftfield) and The Elephant Bar (near the Pyramid Stage). The Taphouse will be selling a thirst-quenching range of craft keg beers and real ales straight from cask, bringing great beer and tunes to the heart of the markets! The eye-catching Elephant Bar is a new venue not to be missed. Two giant elephants stand guard, whilst refreshing craft beer and DJ’s await those who dare to discover this bar’s secrets."

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/bars/

Anyone?

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Taphouse replaced Rock The Kasbar, not sure on Elephant Bar, think it was on the stretch between The Pyramid and The Other. There was an indie venue there a few years back.

I worked with Shelter/Avalon events on the Stonebridge bar, but the guy camped next to me was put in the Taphouse and when I went to visit him there one night it seemed a little souless!

7 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I worked with Shelter/Avalon events on the Stonebridge bar, but the guy camped next to me was put in the Taphouse and when I went to visit him there one night it seemed a little souless!

I didn't go in but Kasbar (Kasbah?) Was a pretty good venue, liked the sunken tables and they'd often have Tony Bowen or similar on.

23 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I didn't go in but Kasbar (Kasbah?) Was a pretty good venue, liked the sunken tables and they'd often have Tony Bowen or similar on.

IIRC it was a bar on the right, a DJ with dancefloor/no mans land/people sat on the floor area in the middle and some picnic benches out the front.

I went to to the Kasbah/bar in years gone past and agree the effort into making it look good was much more.

TBF it sold beer which is what I wanted so no real complaints and its mainly a through area round that bit isn't it? 🙂 

On 4/10/2021 at 9:36 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

- Rabbit Hole switched places with the Bimble Inn and moved halfway down The Park

From memory this was actually a pretty large bar called Rabbit Hole, but the actual Rabbit Hole also still existed. I think. I never went to either but did go past this bar version quite often.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

For those that went pre super fence (before 2002) were there any hidden treasures like talked about above to discover?

I don't know the true accurate answer to that, but can say that I never found any secret bars. There used to be a lot of 'illegal' DJ set up's where people with their own drink would congregate and dance.

I do recall what we called the Rizla Tent (there were giant Rizla flags outside of it) playing music into the wee hours. However, my memory is so crap now that I can't recall if that was pre 2002 or not. Can anybody clarify?

9 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I don't know the true accurate answer to that, but can say that I never found any secret bars. There used to be a lot of 'illegal' DJ set up's where people with their own drink would congregate and dance.

I do recall what we called the Rizla Tent (there were giant Rizla flags outside of it) playing music into the wee hours. However, my memory is so crap now that I can't recall if that was pre 2002 or not. Can anybody clarify?

The first few years I went (2004-2007) people still generally after the headliners either, went to the stone circle to sit and have a smoke/trip out, dance at Joe Bananas or a Wine bar until it shut or sit at their campsite staring into a fire and gurning. 

Then in 2008 the S.E Corner started to take off and the Glastonbury we know as today was born. (I know Lost Vaguness was there before etc but it never really attracted the crowds that Shangri-La/Block 9 does) 

I've seen the Babylon videos from the mid 90s on YouTube....looks right up my street. 🙂

Edited by gooner1990

Different kind of memory fuckage.  For years I was convinced that I had seen the reformed Velvet Underground on the Pyramid Stage and that they weren't very good.  Until a while back I went through old programmes and line-ups and realized the VU played in 1993 - a year I didn't go! My first Glastonbury was in 1994.

Don't think there is much footage of it either. And yet I seem to have quite a vivid image.  My only explanation is that an ex-boyfriend who went that year must have given me a very detailed description of it, and over time my memory decided that I had seen them..... 

Edited by Watergirl
  • Upvote 2