Graspop 2022

demontje

Looking at the Hellfest headliners that have not been confirmed for Graspop:

Scorpions: have a show in Germany on the Sunday, so highly unlikely

Nine Inch Nails: Hellfest exclusive, would not suit Graspop for a headliner I reckon as well.

Nightwish: high possibility, have a show at Pinkpop that weekend but are free on the Sunday.

Guns N' Roses: free for the Sunday, but have a show the day before and after, therefore not likely.

Wardruna: no way they will headline

Sabaton: possible, they have shows planned a few days later in Europe.

My gut feeling says either Nightwish or Sabaton will replace Aerosmith if the rumor is true that they're cancelling.

That’s an absolute killer for me that, they were the number 1 reason I bought my ticket for this. They’re second only to Guns N Roses on my list of bands I still need to see, and it was going to be brilliant capping the weekend off with them. 

One saving grace is that the Sunday is arguably the strongest day for me, so there’s still plenty I want to see currently. I only hope we don’t end up with a Werchter situation and they can find a suitable closing act for the weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 49Lawson said:

I know none of this is the festival’s fault but this line up has taken a severe beating the last few weeks. Depending on who the replacement is I might be looking to put my ticket back on the market 

Especially for the people who bought a ticket for Friday... with both headliners (Avenged Sevenfold and Faith No More) cancelled... And the bands who can get the spot aren't many: Scorpions not available, Bring Me The Horizon not available, Gojira play in Brussels 3 weeks after, Guns N Roses don't play 2 days in a row, Foo Fighters are in Spain area (can't imagine them anyway), Evanescence are in Scandinavia (Sweden on 16th, Finland on 19th), Nightwish are at Pinkpop...

Ghost could be a replacement for Avenged Sevenfold. I would say that SOAD would be ideal but it looks like they are not touring in '22. As for the other two bands that canceled, there are plenty of great potential replacements with some of them being on the bill of previous (canceled) GMM editions. And most of them are European which reduces the risk of new cancelations: Katatonia, Soen, Solstafir, Haken, Swallow the Sun, Insomnium, The Ocean, Psychotic Waltz, Rival Sons and so on...I hope we'll get some of these.

2 hours ago, Archi said:

Especially for the people who bought a ticket for Friday... with both headliners (Avenged Sevenfold and Faith No More) cancelled... And the bands who can get the spot aren't many: Scorpions not available, Bring Me The Horizon not available, Gojira play in Brussels 3 weeks after, Guns N Roses don't play 2 days in a row, Foo Fighters are in Spain area (can't imagine them anyway), Evanescence are in Scandinavia (Sweden on 16th, Finland on 19th), Nightwish are at Pinkpop...

They played the 2nd and 3rd of october 2021

They played the 11th and 12th of september 2021

They played the 1st and 2nd of november 2019

24th, 25th, 28th and 29th of november 2017...

Most of them were in the same venues though, but not all. I think if you throw enough money it's a possibility. So I guess it'd be more of a "too expensive for GMM" thing than a "they never play 2 shows in a row" thing

On 2/16/2022 at 3:45 PM, Boss89 said:

They played the 2nd and 3rd of october 2021

They played the 11th and 12th of september 2021

They played the 1st and 2nd of november 2019

24th, 25th, 28th and 29th of november 2017...

Most of them were in the same venues though, but not all. I think if you throw enough money it's a possibility. So I guess it'd be more of a "too expensive for GMM" thing than a "they never play 2 shows in a row" thing

Did you look at the venues they played on the dates you mentionned? It's always the same place, except one show in 2017 (maybe a special off show because the 3 others are at the same place). When they play the same venue, it happens indeed they play 2 days in a row. Because they don't have to move their big stage/production. Guns N Roses or another big band, they're less keen to play several days in a row because they have many stuff to move. They booked them in 2018 with a huge line-up so it could be possible again - if they didn't increase their fee too much with the Covid. Anyway, it's 99.99% they're out for GMM. And seems too big to be last-minute replacement. Why not book them in the first place if they were really interested anyway.

@Ken19 Any infos here?

I don’t know if this would be Bon Job I’d thing but I know they have done the odd festival in the past. Always been great fun when I’ve seen them and would be a welcome addition for me. I’m sure there was some rumours going around that they were set to do European Stadium shows this year too

• 4 weeks later...

Soen has Graspop in their events on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SoenMusic/events

I wonder why GMM has not given an update on the new headliner. The problem is, there is no hurry, the festival is sold out and they can go for a cheap replacement...

Is it not an option for GMM and Gojira to cancel their gig at Vorst Nationaal on july 5th and replace A7X?

This gig has been replaced from february and a lot of ticketholders are on holiday that day. Also, this show doesn't sell out, in contrast to the two Tilburg shows one week later... Maybe they remain silent, so that both gigs in Graspop and Vorst can find place?

Alcatraz Festival did something similar with the gig of Arch Enemy / Behemoth next fall: cancel it and give both bands a headlinerspot...

I really like Gojira but they're not big enough (yet) in Belgium to be an headliner at Graspop. I can see them coming in 2023 when they'll do a proper festivals tour but not this Summer. 

Scorpions moved some of their German shows to 2023 so they're now available on June 17th to play at Graspop... there're many headliner-size bands available. So they could have Scorpions - Megadeth - Whitesnake in a row on the same day. 

Like you said, the festival is soldout so they can take their time. 

1 hour ago, Archi said:

I really like Gojira but they're not big enough (yet) in Belgium to be an headliner at Graspop. I can see them coming in 2023 when they'll do a proper festivals tour but not this Summer. 

Scorpions moved some of their German shows to 2023 so they're now available on June 17th to play at Graspop... there're many headliner-size bands available. So they could have Scorpions - Megadeth - Whitesnake in a row on the same day. 

Like you said, the festival is soldout so they can take their time. 

I agree that Gojira aren't quite big enough for headline spot, certainly not same popularity as A7X, but then Aerosmith -> Sabaton was also a downgrade in pure popularity. I'd really like Ghost to headline. I know many metalheads dislike them but I think they'd put on a great ending performance in terms of theatrix. I'm confident GMM will sort something good out 🤞

Of course Sabaton don't have the same aura as Aerosmith but they have a big success now, especially in Belgium! I'm not surprises to see them headline, I was just expect them for 2023. Their last Belgian show was at SportPaleis, the biggest indoor venue in the country (even if it wasn't full capacity if I'm right). Gojira are a level below. Ghost could be headliner or co-headliner in 2023 for sure.

3 minutes ago, TheMofessor said:

Who are you thinking then? Given Gojira being announced as replacing A7X at other festivals, I guess they're the most likely. But Idk I feel Graspop will want something better for the 25th anniversary (sort of, fuck Covid), surely?

yep, Gojira wasn't supposed to play the festival circuit this year but they are replacing A7X as headliners at every festival. Ghost could do it as well but apparently they are exclusive to Hellfest