Oxfam

blutarsky

Following the Haiti scandal the charity is in the news again today thanks to The Times uncovering news of two Oxfam staffers are being investigated regarding allegations of bullying and sexual misconduct in the DRC. 

Dominic Raab has blocked Oxfam from applying for funding from the overseas aid budget again. 

Does anyone see this affecting the festivals relationship with the charity? 

21 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Following the Haiti scandal the charity is in the news again today thanks to The Times uncovering news of two Oxfam staffers are being investigated regarding allegations of bullying and sexual misconduct in the DRC. 

Dominic Raab has blocked Oxfam from applying for funding from the overseas aid budget again. 

Does anyone see this affecting the festivals relationship with the charity? 

Last time they were accused of not dealing with the issue so I think as they appear to be addressing the problem this time then I expect the relationship to continue.

I think Raab/Government is just taking the chance to stick the boot in on an organisation that was critical of their decision to cut the aid budget.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, parsonjack said:

They're still doing great work across the globe and getting my monthly contribution.

Yes, their work is so vital it can’t be derailed by this situation, as long as they properly and openly deal with it, putting zero tolerance policies in place that ensures it can’t happen again. 

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, their work is so vital it can’t be derailed by this situation, as long as they properly and openly deal with it, putting zero tolerance policies in place that ensures it can’t happen again. 

I agree that their work is vital and should not be derailed. However, I would argue that zero tolerance policies should already have been in place. They should have been in place a long, long time ago - even before Mark Goldring was first at the helm. That said, how do you completely build a 100% efficient system when there's always going to be self serving sociopaths about, and in such numbers? I mean it takes a very special type of c**t to do the things some of these people have already known to have committed. And now there's talk of another incidence!

I am reliably informed that the above is in direct contrast to what I've heard used to go on on the Greenpeace ship or ships (I can't recall this specific). Apparently (and according to a source I have no reason to doubt) before they used to go out on the boat into the fray, they would stock up on shed loads of booze. Then it was getting plastered drunk all the time, as well as bed hopping. The best gig going on the high seas to certain eyes. Mind you, they did go in hard when they had to do their confrontations with a load of whalers etc. 

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I agree that their work is vital and should not be derailed. However, I would argue that zero tolerance policies should already have been in place. They should have been in place a long, long time ago - even before Mark Goldring was first at the helm. That said, how do you completely build a 100% efficient system when there's always going to be self serving sociopaths about, and in such numbers? I mean it takes a very special type of c**t to do the things some of these people have already known to have committed. And now there's talk of another incidence!

I am reliably informed that the above is in direct contrast to what I've heard used to go on on the Greenpeace ship or ships (I can't recall this specific). Apparently (and according to a source I have no reason to doubt) before they used to go out on the boat into the fray, they would stock up on shed loads of booze. Then it was getting plastered drunk all the time, as well as bed hopping. The best gig going on the high seas to certain eyes. Mind you, they did go in hard when they had to do their confrontations with a load of whalers etc. 

Yes,  in any organisation large or small there will be such behaviour (I worked in schools long enough to witness this).  Hopefully this inappropriate culture and behaviour is changing now,  becoming unacceptable and being exposed.