Drinks in cans!

sedra

16 minutes ago, sedra said:

Bingo. you've hit the jackpot with that one sedra.

You've just guided us to a drinkers bible. 

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Bingo. you've hit the jackpot with that one sedra.

You've just guided us to a drinkers bible. 

Number 21😂

Cocktails look rubbish but actually some good recommendations on the wine front. 🍹🍸🍷

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I want to drink a hand made Long Island Iced Tea, and I want to drink it now. in fact, I would like to drink a lot of it. 

It was my want for LIIT's that inspired me to ask for a cocktail set for my birthday. The real financial outlay was acquiring all of the component parts of the 'tea, but now that I have them... potent iced teas on demand.

2 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

It was my want for LIIT's that inspired me to ask for a cocktail set for my birthday. The real financial outlay was acquiring all of the component parts of the 'tea, but now that I have them... potent iced teas on demand.

Hello WestCountryGirl,

I was on a short break to Dublin when I was first introduced to the delights of the Long Island Iced Tea. It was in a pub called (I'll never forget it's name) Judge Roy Bean. Now, as you may know, the spirit shots in Ireland are larger than those of the UK. In addition to this 'bonus' was the fact that the barman must have been very new to bar personing. I say that because instead of making up a measure using the 5 spirits necessary, he actually put 5 measures of the spirits in a single glass (remember - they are bigger shots over there too). The he added the sour mix and a splash of Coke. This was my first ever Long Island Iced Tea. It was beyond mentally satisfactory, in my opinion. So, much so that I ordered another, then another, then another, and another after that too. I had started at about noon and finished at about 5pm. I'd essentially had 25 shots of spirit in that sitting. The only reason i left the pub was that I had to go bac to my brothers (he was living in Dublin at that time) to get ready to go out for the night to get drunk! Wow, was I drunk by then already.

Since that wonderful experience, I have tried a Long Island Iced Tea wherever I have travelled in the world. Nothing has ever beaten that moment in time in Dublin though.

Oh and yes - I've also bought all the ingredients too. Those 5 bottles of spirits really do hit the pocket hard. 🙂

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello WestCountryGirl,

I was on a short break to Dublin when I was first introduced to the delights of the Long Island Iced Tea. It was in a pub called (I'll never forget it's name) Judge Roy Bean. Now, as you may know, the spirit shots in Ireland are larger than those of the UK. In addition to this 'bonus' was the fact that the barman must have been very new to bar personing. I say that because instead of making up a measure using the 5 spirits necessary, he actually put 5 measures of the spirits in a single glass (remember - they are bigger shots over there too). The he added the sour mix and a splash of Coke. This was my first ever Long Island Iced Tea. It was beyond mentally satisfactory, in my opinion. So, much so that I ordered another, then another, then another, and another after that too. I had started at about noon and finished at about 5pm. I'd essentially had 25 shots of spirit in that sitting. The only reason i left the pub was that I had to go bac to my brothers (he was living in Dublin at that time) to get ready to go out for the night to get drunk! Wow, was I drunk by then already.

Since that wonderful experience, I have tried a Long Island Iced Tea wherever I have travelled in the world. Nothing has ever beaten that moment in time in Dublin though.

Oh and yes - I've also bought all the ingredients too. Those 5 bottles of spirits really do hit the pocket hard. 🙂

Sounds great obviously but also that should be the norm. It's called "Tea" because there's so little room for the coke left that the mixture just takes on a translucent brown colour. 

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello WestCountryGirl,

Oh I'm right in the mood for some this weekend now. Just need to get the lemons in.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Sounds great obviously but also that should be the norm. It's called "Tea" because there's so little room for the coke left that the mixture just takes on a translucent brown colour. 

It should indeed be the norm, but hasn't been wherever else I've had that drink (and that's a fair few places / countries now). However, it shouldn't have been the norm for what he was charging me. If he'd put 5 full shots in the drink (which he did) then he should have charged me for 5 shots. He didn't do that. He just looked up the price on the cocktail menu (which was meant to be for one mixed shot) and charged me that. Hence why I went off on one - I knew that I was being savagely undercharged, and made hay while the sun shone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Oh I'm right in the mood for some this weekend now. Just need to get the lemons in.

I've just got back home from being away since Monday morning and have had to settle for a large (but lovely) G & T, which I'm now drinking. On my way back home (from being away) I bought 3 No. 1L bottles of gin and a shed load of tonics. That me - off on one again for a few days before I have to (kind of) work again on Monday. I also have a stack of speed and a load of smoke. Goodbye cruel world!

While I'm on the subject of G & T's, Aldi have an award winning gin at £15 for a 1L bottle. Not only that but they have their own little cans of light tonic called 'Ridge Valley' at less than £2 for 8 cans. Now, to my mind there's no discernible difference between this tonic and that of Fever Tree. Yes, you know Fever Tree - it's the eye wateringly expensive tonic that costs just shy of £5 for 4 cans in some places (probably more when bought in a pub - remember when they were all the rage! And open). I wouldn't be too surprised if Fever tree actually made Ridge Valley for Aldi. It would be nice to know. Maybe a search of the internet is in order. However, first things first - a joint.

16 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It should indeed be the norm, but hasn't been wherever else I've had that drink (and that's a fair few places / countries now). However, it shouldn't have been the norm for what he was charging me. If he'd put 5 full shots in the drink (which he did) then he should have charged me for 5 shots. He didn't do that. He just looked up the price on the cocktail menu (which was meant to be for one mixed shot) and charged me that. Hence why I went off on one - I knew that I was being savagely undercharged, and made hay while the sun shone.

fair play to you for bulk buying when spotting a bargain @Yoghurt on a Stick...... I would imagine if he would have made all his money back by overcharging for the last one, you would have been none the wiser.!

I do not believe that i have ever indulged in a Long Island Iced Tea.. i will correct that this weekend..

In recent times, i have found that a Dark & Stormy (made with Dark Matter rum) absolutely hits the spot..

Enjoy the G&T

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

f I would imagine if he would have made all his money back by overcharging for the last one, you would have been none the wiser.!

I think you may have a point there, alright. Oh no, now I've gone down a worm hole that I didn't even perceive could have happened - what if he, at the end of the day (or afternoon, as it was) actually 'overcharged' me completely ie. even took himself a handsome tip too. Do you know what BlueDaze, I'll never settle now with the not knowing. My mind's gone into turmoil - should I hunt the man down like a dog, or should I let it be? Oh Lordy, it was such a happy memory as well. 

Seriously though - if you get the chance to correct it this weekend, or whenever, then avail yourself of the opportunity. It would, to my minds eye, only really be in order if you were to get a glass with the full 5 shots in it. Oh, and it must have sour (something) in it too, along with a splash of coke. Only then will you know what I'm talking about. Honestly though - I've had loads of shit Long Island Iced Teas since that (still) magical moment in Dublin. The thing is, you see, I wasn't only with my brother that weekend. There was 'another'. And I was on for the ride with that other person. A lady who, incidentally, matched me Long Island Iced Tea for Long Island Iced Tea that afternoon. We'd gone straight from the airport to the centre of Dublin and walked straight into that bar. We were killing time while my brother finished his day's work. This was fucking donkeys years ago and he was getting paid £50 an hour working for Microsoft. Mind you, you'd need that kind of income to drink there nowadays. Fuck me it's brutal on the pocket drinking there now. I think I'd need to warm up by drinking in London first before I went back there again. Once I'd got over the initial shock of London prices I could go to Dublin and reminisce about the good old days when I only had to pay London prices for a drink.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I think you may have a point there, alright. Oh no, now I've gone down a worm hole that I didn't even perceive could have happened - what if he, at the end of the day (or afternoon, as it was) actually 'overcharged' me completely ie. even took himself a handsome tip too. Do you know what BlueDaze, I'll never settle now with the not knowing. My mind's gone into turmoil - should I hunt the man down like a dog, or should I let it be? Oh Lordy, it was such a happy memory as well. 

Seriously though - if you get the chance to correct it this weekend, or whenever, then avail yourself of the opportunity. It would, to my minds eye, only really be in order if you were to get a glass with the full 5 shots in it. Oh, and it must have sour (something) in it too, along with a splash of coke. Only then will you know what I'm talking about. Honestly though - I've had loads of shit Long Island Iced Teas since that (still) magical moment in Dublin. The thing is, you see, I wasn't only with my brother that weekend. There was 'another'. And I was on for the ride with that other person. A lady who, incidentally, matched me Long Island Iced Tea for Long Island Iced Tea that afternoon. We'd gone straight from the airport to the centre of Dublin and walked straight into that bar. We were killing time while my brother finished his day's work. This was fucking donkeys years ago and he was getting paid £50 an hour working for Microsoft. Mind you, you'd need that kind of income to drink there nowadays. Fuck me it's brutal on the pocket drinking there now. I think I'd need to warm up by drinking in London first before I went back there again. Once I'd got over the initial shock of London prices I could go to Dublin and reminisce about the good old days when I only had to pay London prices for a drink.

maybe you should get yourself back to the Judge Roy Bean, sit at the bar and tell them about the time many moons ago, when you sat in that exact spot and enjoyed an afternoon on the finest Long Island Iced Teas you have ever tasted... ony for the experience to be soured (no pun intended) by realising the next morning that the barman had taken rather more money than you expected..

Who knows, maybe the fifth one will be on the house...

14 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

maybe you should get yourself back to the Judge Roy Bean, sit at the bar and tell them about the time many moons ago, when you sat in that exact spot and enjoyed an afternoon on the finest Long Island Iced Teas you have ever tasted... ony for the experience to be soured (no pun intended) by realising the next morning that the barman had taken rather more money than you expected..

Who knows, maybe the fifth one will be on the house...

I shall have a look, but I'm kind of of the belief that if it is still a pub, that it's not called that anymore. Leave it with me. I will be back. I know that it was right next to St. Stephens Green. Well, that's my memory of it. It maybe that I was so inebriated that I actually saw St. Stephen. And it was he that was green. Possibly from drinking too many long island Iced Teas. We may never know.

Here we go. Got something.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/record-price-of-5-5m-for-nightclub-bar-lease-1.1169368

Oh, I forgot to mention. I said to the lady that I was with the next day (we shall call her Lucy, for that was her name - and hopefully still is. Lost contact a fair number of years ago), something along the lines of ' That judge Roy Beans was a bit fierce wasn't it'. Her response was that 'he's not a man known for his leniency'! ie that she acknowledges that we were both dying with a hangover!