Pyramid Subs - Did They Pull It Off?

Gnomicide

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

2004 Kings of Leon

Looks better with time given how big they became, but this was before Aha Shake Heartbreak came out, meaning they had one mildly successful rock 'n roll throwback LP and, like, "Molly's Chambers" on the radio. Seems like the crowd could/should have been minuscule, was anyone there for it?

I was there, remember it being decent. 

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

When you look at the sub list, there have been some really odd choices. Not necessarily bad (although sometimes bad), but just odd to think about.

2004 Kings of Leon

Looks better with time given how big they became, but this was before Aha Shake Heartbreak came out, meaning they had one mildly successful rock 'n roll throwback LP and, like, "Molly's Chambers" on the radio. Seems like the crowd could/should have been minuscule, was anyone there for it?

I didn't go see them, and I don't know how it fits in terms of their discography or chart success, but I don't think that felt too odd or out of place at the time. They were massively hyped by the NME (who, just about, were still relevant) and the likes as being the new hot upcoming band that would eventually take over the world.

11 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

When you look at the sub list, there have been some really odd choices. Not necessarily bad (although sometimes bad), but just odd to think about.

2000 Macy Gray [before Chems]

I guess 'I Try' was everywhere and her album shifted loads in '99, having a hard time picturing Macy vaulting right up to sub level that fast. Not to mention a fair atmosphere shift going into the rave-up

2004 Kings of Leon

2004 Black Eyed Peas [before Macca]

Let's get retarded... in the USSR

2007 The Kooks

Even at the time, as an unrepentant indie, I remember thinking this was a bizarrely weak pick – like an Other sub got lost on the way to the second stage and just snuck in on the pointy bastard instead. At least Kasabian and Kaisers had a pair of million-selling albums behind them and some sense of wind in their sails. The Kooks were one-and-done in 2006.

2010 Scissor Sisters

On the face of it, came 4-5 years too late.

2015 Paul Weller

I heard rumours The Who requested this but still... really? No-one else to call? Best you can get?

I think Paul Weller is an odd one to criticise. Due to the whole mod thing there will be a lot of cross over between his fan base and the Who's and the guys had a long respectable career, it's not like he's a nobody. I'd say it would be good if they had more sub acts like this who seem a natural support to the headliner. 

Having said all that I really like the Who and went to see Jamie T instead of Paul Weller 😂 

19 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

No, he's obviously not a nobody, but he was 3rd from top in 2007 and you often get well-established blokey fixtures like Weller, Costello, Madness, even Robert Plant moseying around 3rd/4th slots.

No shade on any of them, but in 2015 having Weller up a notch as a frictionless roll into The Who just felt like quite a low-effort, uninspired sub.

I guess maybe it felt like an uninspired end to that year's fest in general, more to the point.

The story goes that The Who requested Weller as their sub. The Who were clearly a last minute desperate booking so it stands to reason that the festival may have given them what they wanted.

57 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This is a separate and pretty good debate actually now you've sparked it.

Seen people on the forum going to bat for proper chalk-and-cheese combos to clear the crowd out or give that essential Glasto variety. Sometimes it works, sometimes – as we can tell in this thread – it very notably flounders.

Wonder if people prefer having a complimentary 1-2 to close a stage out, or enjoy the pick 'n mix bookings when they emerge?

It's shit if you're really looking forward to the sub headliner and the majority of the crowd have no interest in them and are just waiting for the headliner creating a flat atmosphere e.g Beck before Coldplay so I'd say for headliners/sub it's best for them to be complimentary 

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I may be misremembering this but wasn't Weller booked to support The Who at the Paris gig they cancelled to do Glastonbury? So essentially Glastonbury booked a twofer?

He cancelled a festival in Holland for it. I think they might have even said he would be playing Glastonbury instead as part of the cancellation announcement.

5 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

It's shit if you're really looking forward to the sub headliner and the majority of the crowd have no interest in them and are just waiting for the headliner creating a flat atmosphere e.g Beck before Coldplay so I'd say for headliners/sub it's best for them to be complimentary 

I just can't imagine waiting at a band you're not fussed by just to get a spot for the next act, especially that late in the day when there's good stuff all over the place. A logic I can never get my head around!

It's very rare that I end up waiting at a stage between acts tbh, just feels like wasted time

I can imagine this/last year’s subs working pretty well.

LDR into Kendrick (strangely similar demographics)

Noel into Macca is obvious (especially with Aerosmith before - massive crowd would turn and just see the whole trio).

Mumfords into Taylor (nobody is convincing me that they weren’t the mystery sub)

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

No, he's obviously not a nobody, but he was 3rd from top in 2007 and you often get well-established blokey fixtures like Weller, Costello, Madness, even Robert Plant moseying around 3rd/4th slots.

No shade on any of them, but in 2015 having Weller up a notch as a frictionless roll into The Who just felt like quite a low-effort, uninspired sub.

I guess maybe it felt like an uninspired end to that year's fest in general, more to the point.

As I have told me my mate a few times, if you choose The Who over the Chemicals, you've only really got yourself to blame!

Funnily enough I was not that enamoured with the Specials set, maybe it was where I was stood, but I was underwhelmed having been really looking forward to it.

Of the others Faithless 2010 is one of my favourite Pyramid sets ever, euphoric is how I normally describe it and I stand by that description.

Despite not being much of a fan I also thought the XX were excellent. I finally got what all the fuss was about.

The xx set was a bit of a weird one because even as a massive fan I was still a bit surprised at how much everyone was enjoying it.

One of my all time Glasto memories for sure. I think they nailed the interaction with the crowd, and it really came across that they were honoured to be playing that particular slot. 

Unrelated - still a bit gutted I didn't sprint over to Lorde on the OS after them. That looked like an absolute riot as well.

Edited by Zacko

9 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I had to sit 2013 out, but I remember really enjoying The xx's Other headline set on the TV. The word I got back from friends in the field was essentially: it was fine but probably worked better in a comfortable place. It was windy, the new material was insular and they weren't exactly warming anyone up.

2017, by contrast, was a gorgeous day, they were promoting a more peppy record and they had all the material off In Colour to lean into. Oliver doing that little half-cut, off-the-cuff "aw I luv you Glashtonbury" during one of the quiet moments definitely bedded in a positive mood early on. I remember 'Loud Places' being where the set went from very good to a knock-out. The whole crowd lifted as one.

Fine details make the difference, you could say. But they preached beyond just the already-converted and aced it.

SO good. 😍