Pyramid Subs - Did They Pull It Off?

Gnomicide

46 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Vampire Weekend - Caught the second half, great set.

Yes we thought it was great, maybe it was the atmosphere.  Where we were everyone was in a tremendous mood and that state of happy intoxication!  Probably because it had been such a great festival weather and music wise and folk were gearing up for the Cure, Janelle, Christine and the Queens etc.  Just makes me so sad that was to be  the last Glasto night we will  experience until 22😢

The Specials - Yes
Kasabian - Yes

Scissor Sisters - Yes
Faithless - Yes

Realised that I've seen hardly any Pyramid subs.  Of the ones that I have seen, I'd happily say that all of them nailed it. The Specials reappearing with a near-full line up (Dammers aside) was just incredible.  Ghost Town was something special.  Controversies aside, Kasabian at their peak put on a hell of a live show.  Scissor Sisters were just good fun, and the Kylie cameo was a great touch. And Faithless were amazing.

2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

I thought the Specials were brilliant, but I'm surprised to find out that was a sub headline slot. In my memories it felt like it was quite early in the day. Think it was because it was the main thing I wanted to see that day.

Also not a popular opinion to hold on efests, but every time I've seen Kasabian they've been brillliant, they are a really fun live act.

Jack White was a no for me, but I was kind of hoping for a faithful recreation of the songs he had that I liked. I often wonder if I'd went in with more of an open mind and expecting him to improvise lots if I would have enjoyed it more. Or was he just so wasted would I have thought it was shite no matter what attitude I had?

Missing Libertines in 2015 is a regret for me. Didn't bother as I was seeing them at T in the Park a few weeks later. But it was the first and only T in the Park at a new venue, the sound was shit and the festival was so badly organised it never recovered. Honestly still can't get my head round how badly that festival was organised. The main stage and the other stage were connected by a narrow corridor fenced corridor. Half way along the corridor was King Tuts (the third biggest stage) and directly across from it was a cocktail bar pumping dance tunes. It was like they'd deliberately tried to create the worst most dangerous choke point possible. And they also fucked up the organisation of the roads around the festival. We had day tickets and had 2 queue for about 2 hours to get in, then the bus home turned up 4 hours late and it seemed that everyone else had similar experiences, it was very much festival organisers fault rather than bus companies. That was a fucking long day! Hence the long rant (sorry)

Really enjoyed Foals in 2016 and ZZ Top before them were superb. That was a good run.

Also had a great time at Beck. Though watched it back on tv and the crowd seemed flat and he seemed a bit annoyed about it (which I didn't actually notice when I was there). Really he deserved a better slot. I suspect there is a lot of crossover between the Ellie Goulding and Coldplay audience and none between that crowd and Becks audience so there were definitely a lot of people there that were putting up with him between two acts they wanted to see.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about The Specials! I didn't realise they were a sub, but my memories of 2009 are hazy. They were great as ever.

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

I wasn't at Kasabian - but more than happy to confirm that they were shit (obvs).

I was there, in my one and only ever "getting a good spot" attempt.

I assume they were shit. Can't say I noticed them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I didn't see Cave in 2009 and looking back at the lineup I have literally no idea where I would have been instead.

Complete gap in my memory between YYY's finishing at 18.00 and Blur starting at 21.50.

were you that guy at Cold War Kids that barged past me every time a song from the first album got played.

Thanks to this thread I've realised that I've only actually seen 1 Pyramid sub in the 5 festivals I've been to - which oddly enough was The Libertines, who were a band who I never gave that much of a shit about even when they were humungous in the mid-2000s.

I thought it was somewhere between fine and pretty good.

EDIT

Just seen how relevant this post is the last page or so of discussion in the controversial opinions thread 😂

Edited by waltere

I've made 18 of these (not all in full)... my favourites were KOL in 04, and Killers in 05. Of the more recent ones Elbow were the best in my opinion. The Primal Scream gig before the Stones was probably the most disappointing, and I love PS.

I've often though that I've been stood in the wrong spot, but reading these posts it seems like if you are down the front you are surrounded by people there for the headliner, and if you are at the back everyone is chatting! haha

6 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

I've made 18 of these (not all in full)... my favourites were KOL in 04, and Killers in 05. Of the more recent ones Elbow were the best in my opinion. The Primal Scream gig before the Stones was probably the most disappointing, and I love PS.

I've often though that I've been stood in the wrong spot, but reading these posts it seems like if you are down the front you are surrounded by people there for the headliner, and if you are at the back everyone is chatting! haha

All about that sweet spot in the middle.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

All about that sweet spot in the middle.

Haha thanks Hugh, what I'd give for the chance to try the middle for a sub headliner in a couple of months! really missing it now.

New Order in 05 is widely dismissed as being an awful gig, but it was the first time I'd got to see them, and the crowd by me was pretty lively, especially for World In Motion & True Faith ... love those memories of your first couple of Glastonburys, special times.

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes we thought it was great, maybe it was the atmosphere.  Where we were everyone was in a tremendous mood and that state of happy intoxication!  Probably because it had been such a great festival weather and music wise and folk were gearing up for the Cure, Janelle, Christine and the Queens etc.  Just makes me so sad that was to be  the last Glasto night we will  experience until 22😢

They’re always good but I much preferred the morning Park set.  

5 hours ago, Franco Baresi said:

Haha thanks Hugh, what I'd give for the chance to try the middle for a sub headliner in a couple of months! really missing it now.

New Order in 05 is widely dismissed as being an awful gig, but it was the first time I'd got to see them, and the crowd by me was pretty lively, especially for World In Motion & True Faith ... love those memories of your first couple of Glastonburys, special times.

I was up on the hill, so didn't get much crowd atmosphere, but I thought they were pretty bad.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sisco said:

They’re always good but I much preferred the morning Park set.  

Man I loved that Park set.

Decided to get on the White Russians immediately upon waking to stave off the hangover whilst my friends all decided to suffer, so I was having an absolute ball as they writhed around on the floor searching for any shade they could get.

Hannah Hunt especially is one of my favourites by them so that was just euphoric to hear that early in the day. 

22 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Man I loved that Park set.

Decided to get on the White Russians immediately upon waking to stave off the hangover whilst my friends all decided to suffer, so I was having an absolute ball as they writhed around on the floor searching for any shade they could get.

Hannah Hunt especially is one of my favourites by them so that was just euphoric to hear that early in the day. 

And Fingerback too! Although Ezra wasn’t the happiest with that request lol.

53 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was up on the hill, so didn't get much crows atmosphere, but I thought they were pretty bad.

We've been through this before, but I thought New Order were pretty good too. Sadly I di a deal with the devil/my ex-wife and in return for her watching NO with me, I then had to watch the whole of Coldplay.

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

We've been through this before, but I thought New Order were pretty good too. Sadly I di a deal with the devil/my ex-wife and in return for her watching NO with me, I then had to watch the whole of Coldplay.

To be fair, I wasn't paying much attention and I don't rate them live much anyway. So it might have been a good gig for them.

But you could tell how pissed off Bernie and Hooky were at each other, as usual.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be fair, I wasn't paying much attention and I don't rate them live much anyway. So it might have been a good gig for them.

But you could tell how pissed off Bernie and Hooky were at each other, as usual.

This was good - despite Barney's yelping,

19 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

My mate was a massive Bowie fan and had pretty much only got tickets because he was playing. To say he was disappointed was an understatement!

Not quite on the same level, but one year I was really looking forward to Gogol Bordello and even made my own Gogol Bordello flag , only to find out they'd cancelled as I was standing at the stage waiting for them to cone on

I was at both of those Ts in the Park and although Bowie is obviously the biggest disappointment it was hugely frustrating to learn that Gogol Bordello had cancelled so that they could fuck about with Madonna. Imagine choosing Madonna over T in the Park, shocking.

eugenemadonna.jpg

20 hours ago, incident said:

I was there, in my one and only ever "getting a good spot" attempt.

I assume they were shit. Can't say I noticed them.

They were shit, but their piss throwing fans were worse. 

The Specials were brilliant the night before. 

Really enjoyed The National in 2017 too.

I ended up watching Kasabian then hightailing it over to Pendulum in an ill-advised attempt to impress a girl I’d just met.

Ended up leaving her with her friends and wandering off on my own to Jarvis.

Gonna break it to you as gently as possible, but I'm going to say they were probably happy that the sweating hammered stalky guy left them alone 😄

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Gonna break it to you as gently as possible, but I'm going to say they were probably happy that the sweating hammered stalky guy left them alone 😄

She invited me... but then five minutes into Pendulum I realised it was probably a lapse in judgement on my part...

She invited me... but then five minutes into Pendulum I realised it was probably a lapse in judgement on my part...

Love the fact you're not pulling me up on referring to you as sweating and hammered