May Glastonbury live stream - Will you be watching

Greenelk

May Glastonbury Live Stream - Will you be watching?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. May Glastonbury Live Stream - Will you be watching?

• Yes - Definitely will be or already purchased my ticket
    • Maybe - Yet to decide
    • No - Sick to death of live streams
    • Donated - Probably not going to watch, but have purchased a ticket for the great causes
    • No - I don't like the bands that are participating
    • No - Eurovision Party Time!!!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2021 at 12:33 PM

I go to festivals principally to sit outside in the fresh air and chill with friends.  I applaud what Glastonbury are trying to do but not for me.  I'll probably just bung some extra money the way of WaterAid.

No brainer.  Ticket bought plus donation as soon as I saw the link this morning. Anything remotely to do with the festival I just can’t resist. Good to see the charities benefitting. We donate regularly to wateraid and I know their funds have suffered during the pandemic.  Of course it can’t compare with a live gig but then it’s not pretending it is one.  Some work will be provided for backstage crews,worthy farm staff  etc and going global will surely bring in a decent amount of cash.  

And im sure Michael will say it’s going to be the best live stream ever😁

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

I’m surprised at the amount of folk both here and on Facebook that are not supportive of this. They bang on about how much they love the festival but won’t chuck Glasto a score to support it and it’s charities. 

Just now, stuie said:

I’m surprised at the amount of folk both here and on Facebook that are not supportive of this. They bang on about how much they love the festival but won’t chuck Glasto a score to support it and it’s charities. 

yeah very true .... I read the replies to the twitter post .... didnt dare delve in as far as FB .... madness to see people complain about an optional event ... most seemed directed at the timing of it and the eurovision clash .... 😞 Glastonbury put on some amazing stuff and ive no doubt this will be the same .... 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

No brainer.  Ticket bought plus donation as soon as I saw the link this morning. Anything remotely to do with the festival I just can’t resist. Good to see the charities benefitting. We donate regularly to wateraid and I know their funds have suffered during the pandemic.  Of course it can’t compare with a live gig but then it’s not pretending it is one.  Some work will be provided for backstage crews,worthy farm staff  etc and going global will surely bring in a decent amount of cash.  

And im sure Michael will say it’s going to be the best live stream ever😁

2F46F8DC-FF01-49AD-B635-19C393D62F86.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

Hold on a second, I think that's a bad faith argument - I did donate money directly last year, and will do so again this year.

In fact, if they just came out and said "please donate", I'd do so - and be happier in doing so in the knowledge that a large chunk wasn't going to be wasted on the production overheads this will incur.

But they've chosen not to do that - they've chosen instead to offer a product that is of no interest to me (and as best I can tell, far removed from everything I love about Glastonbury), to the extent that if it was free I'd still be unlikely to watch - so I can only judge what's on offer.

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Let's be honest if Glstonbury had come out and said we need some cash to keep everything ticking over, to be able to pay staff, help the charities most of us would have put our hand in our pockets if we could. 

That's effectively what this is but they have tried to give people some kind of product for it. Live streams don't really suit me but whether I watch or not. I know I have put some money into good hands. That's all that really matters. 

Yeah this is a good point. I think it's really unlikely I'll watch it, but I will probably end up buying a ticket to help them and the charities out. I don't like the bands, bar Damon, and actively dislike Coldplay. So that and the fact I might well be doing something "real world" by then are any I'm not keen.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah this is a good point. I think it's really unlikely I'll watch it, but I will probably end up buying a ticket to help them and the charities out. I don't like the bands, bar Damon, and actively dislike Coldplay. So that and the fact I might well be doing something "real world" by then are any I'm not keen.

Will only buy one if tickets aren't limited but can't see why they would be? They'll want people to buy as many as possible surely.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Hold on a second, I think that's a bad faith argument - I did donate money directly last year, and will do so again this year.

In fact, if they just came out and said "please donate", I'd do so - and be happier in doing so in the knowledge that a large chunk wasn't going to be wasted on the production overheads this will incur.

But they've chosen not to do that - they've chosen instead to offer a product that is of no interest to me (and as best I can tell, far removed from everything I love about Glastonbury), to the extent that if it was free I'd still be unlikely to watch - so I can only judge what's on offer.

Fair enough. People can support and donate as they wish. I just don’t understand the negativity. If it’s not something you buy into then that’s cool but it’s like people would prefer that they did nothing because they don’t fancy it. And I wasn’t referring to anyone in particular. 

1 hour ago, danmarks said:

Ok. Playing devils advocate with some of the comments (not necessarily on here) do you need Glastonbury or something Glastonbury related to donate to charity or could you just be - ah heres 20quid?

I don’t really understand your question - I’m sure lots of us donate to charity without it being Glastonbury. I have monthly DD’s for Breast Cancer Now and Oxfam. And £30 on my next phone bill for Comic Relief cos their sad clips draw me in 😂 Doesn’t mean we can’t support Glastonbury too. 

Sorry if its not clear but reading lots of social media - its like- oh its Glastonbury doing some for others of course I'll pay 20quid even tho I've got no interest in Coldplay or whatever. 

Just wondered if these same people think - shitting hell this is somr bad shit of a year I'll chuck 20quid towards this target that need it- or do people need a - woohoo its Glastonbury Worthy farm. I can watch this for 20quid cos i can afford it and feel smug. Might  not even watch it but Glastonbury so 20quid to charity. Look at me.

And seriously anyone who donates outside of Glastonbury all power to you but if Glastonbury live streaming you dont want to watch is your touch paper to donate then maybe have a ponder about yourself.

13 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Sorry if its not clear but reading lots of social media - its like- oh its Glastonbury doing some for others of course I'll pay 20quid even tho I've got no interest in Coldplay or whatever. 

Just wondered if these same people think - shitting hell this is somr bad shit of a year I'll chuck 20quid towards this target that need it- or do people need a - woohoo its Glastonbury Worthy farm. I can watch this for 20quid cos i can afford it and feel smug. Might  not even watch it but Glastonbury so 20quid to charity. Look at me.

And seriously anyone who donates outside of Glastonbury all power to you but if Glastonbury live streaming you dont want to watch is your touch paper to donate then maybe have a ponder about yourself.

I can’t speak for others but I do what I can. But if people don’t donate elsewhere and this makes some money for the charities, who’ve also had some bad shit of a year, then I don’t see the issue. 

Fair i guess. But it makes the Glastonbury 'feel'  become a bit like red nose day or Children in need.

Think im just a bit disappointed about the people who have commented (not in here) well its Glastonbury they can have my money but I'm not interested in what they are doing.

Like you i donate any way  just kind of presumed most people who can afford 300quid for a festival wouldnt need a carrot to donate 20quid then say well i wont watch it anyway. Not for me.

Like others I donate money to charity anyway. Was pondering getting a ticket for this as a way to give some money to the festival as well as the charities, even though I don't really want to watch it. Is there another way to donate money to the festival? I'm not aware of one other than buying stuff, but have donated to the charities independently in the past.

Will buy a ticket... will try to make an event out of it... get some beers and curry in and some mates round... plan may not actually come to fruition.

Caveat that with while we’re not in lockdown in NZ anyway, with a 3 year old we don’t often go out Saturday nights so any excuse for an at-home piss up.

6 hours ago, danmarks said:

Fair i guess. But it makes the Glastonbury 'feel'  become a bit like red nose day or Children in need.

Think im just a bit disappointed about the people who have commented (not in here) well its Glastonbury they can have my money but I'm not interested in what they are doing.

Like you i donate any way  just kind of presumed most people who can afford 300quid for a festival wouldnt need a carrot to donate 20quid then say well i wont watch it anyway. Not for me.

If we’re turning this thread into some sort of white saviour, trumpet what charities you support, look how great and generous I am, I donate monthly to this great charity and you lot should too

https://www.skateistan.org

• Like 1

8 hours ago, danmarks said:

I donate to charity all the time and personally didn't need this carrot. My point was I have helped out lots of small local businesses by buying their products because I want them to be able to continue to operate. If Glastonbury had come out and said we need a bit of help to get through this I would have given what I could in the same way I gave money to Music Venue Trust It's clear to me that Glastonbury do need a bit of help (most businesses that don't get to operate for 2 years would) but they clearly didn't feel comfortable just asking for handouts so came up with a product to generate some funds. Part of the product are not for me but I believe in the company and its ethics enough that I still want to help them out.

I'm not mega wealthy but I realise I am better off than a lot of people and I try to help people out if I can. One of my friends is a self-employed crafter who hasn't been eligible for any government help during the pandemic. The things she produces aren't really to my taste but I have bought some because that way I can give her a helping hand while she maintains her dignity. Maybe some people would say I should only buy things I like and I shouldn't buy her products if they are not to my liking but I'd prefer her to be able to feed her kids. I know the Eavii aren't struggling to feed their kids but I suspect a lot of their employees could be if Glastonbury isn't able to support them. 

I can't support every charity or every person but I can try and do something for some and if everyone does that the world will be a better place. 

• Upvote 1