Live at Worthy Farm

Hugh Jass

39 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Not so sure about that. I find the modern Pyramid field crowd to be quite passive. There's the odd exception to that rule, usually during the "teatime" slot or certain headliners but generally it can be quite dull in my experience.

I'd say for headliners they're prettyt lively. Compare the crowd for The Cure or The Stones to what they get at their own gigs (in this country). 

Not exactly leaping about for others but throughout the festival I reckon the Glastonbury crowd is very giving, if that's the right word. I've lost track of the number of acts I've seen taken aback by the reception they've received. Particularly on smaller stages.

Has anyone heard anything about who the special guests might be? Husband just bought the ticket, gonna see if I can get the baby-sat that night and have a first proper drink in over a year and pretend I’m in the field, buzzing at the thought of even a hint of a festival vibe (hope the weather is good enough to put up the screen outside and get the fire pit lit, ah man I can’t wait)

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I'd say for headliners they're prettyt lively. Compare the crowd for The Cure or The Stones to what they get at their own gigs (in this country). 

Not exactly leaping about for others but throughout the festival I reckon the Glastonbury crowd is very giving, if that's the right word. I've lost track of the number of acts I've seen taken aback by the reception they've received. Particularly on smaller stages.

I agree with your point on the smaller stages, it's just the Pyramid crowd that I feel lacks a certain energy. Headliners can enjoy a more energetic response but on the whole, in my experience of around 15 of the last 30 or so headliners, there's no guarantee of it really going off, so to speak. On the occasions when it does though, it's a magical arena

13 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I agree with your point on the smaller stages, it's just the Pyramid crowd that I feel lacks a certain energy. Headliners can enjoy a more energetic response but on the whole, in my experience of around 15 of the last 30 or so headliners, there's no guarantee of it really going off, so to speak. On the occasions when it does though, it's a magical arena

Fair point, I've only seen 8 from 24 possible headliners. Quiet for Gorillaz and U2 (after the first 8 or 9 songs) but the others have all been great. 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Metallica was one of the quietest headliners I’ve seen ... 

I don't mean quiet in terms of crowd size, quiet in terms of audience response. Metallica was bouncing where I was. 

Always quite surprised at this assertion about Metallica being quiet, the crowd looks big on the panned out shots. Maybe they were just spread out.

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't mean quiet in terms of crowd size, quiet in terms of audience response. Metallica was bouncing where I was. 

Always quite surprised at this assertion about Metallica being quiet, the crowd looks big on the panned out shots. Maybe they were just spread out.

It was definately quiet where I was and I wasn’t so far back ... audience response was quiet to me but probably due to sparcity of the crowd though .... 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

It certainly wasn't packed, but I don't think it was far enough below average to merit the singling out it often gets.

I was near the top of the field with a pretty good overview, for both acts, and thought Metallica looked a shade busier than Arcade Fire the previous night.

2 hours ago, Radiochicken said:

For every lively crowd there’s a “I’m offended someone has the cheek to be on that stage and try and make sounds right now” crowd like for Beck.

Yeah, that's a huge case in point, right there. I put that one down to a combination of general crowd low energy levels due to trudging through six inches of mud for five days and Coldplay* fans waiting for the Glastonbury house band to take the stage. Such a shame, because an artist like Beck deserved more.

* who proceeded to knock it out of the park by all accounts. I was watching LCD.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Sub is arguably the hardest slot to play at the festival, it's quite rare to see an act get up there and smash it out the park. You get best results when your sub and headliner have a lot of crossover in terms of fanbase (eg Liam Gallagher and Killers last time out).

Faithless into Coldplay 2002 - Faithless were on fire !

I've just requested the day off from work. I'll have to make up the weekend hours elsewhere. Just hope my ancient IT setup can handle the live stream. If it can't I guess I've wasted a day off and donated £20 to help the festival.

19 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

When I say "passive", I mean with minimal response or interaction. Possibly an incorrect use of wording. Essentially, the Pyramid crowd is quite dull, is what I mean. Not the "stars of the show" that the article claims. 

I'm surprised regarding the fights. Never seen any aggression whatsoever anywhere at the festival.

There was that shooting that time.

20 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

When I say "passive", I mean with minimal response or interaction. Possibly an incorrect use of wording. Essentially, the Pyramid crowd is quite dull, is what I mean. Not the "stars of the show" that the article claims. 

I'm surprised regarding the fights. Never seen any aggression whatsoever anywhere at the festival.

I think the legend slot may be an exception. I've not bothered with it since Brian Wilson as it always looks like a hen do is threatening to break out into a whacky flashmob whenever I see it on TV.

20 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There was the time a young lad was wandering through the markets kicking all the painted bins over , he must have done 10 before security managed to stop him.