Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

4 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

There's no universe in which this lineup is "weak" though, it's still better than the vast majority of festivals. PJ/Metallica/RHCP alone is worth the admission price 

But those are just 3 names out of the 100. The undercard is pretty weak compared to other years imo. 

2 minutes ago, maesydderwen said:

Mate I've been going for a few years to Werchter and for 30 odd years to festivals and that Saturday is one of the worst I've seen. 

Weak for us, completely sold out. ID / 21P / Anne-Marie are big whether we like them or not 

Just now, lighthouse said:

But those are just 3 names out of the 100. The undercard is pretty weak compared to other years imo. 

Better than 2019 I would say. Again, maybe not the best RW, but in the grand scheme of festivals? Still one of the best overall lineups on the planet after Mad Cool and Prima

11 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Weak for us, completely sold out. ID / 21P / Anne-Marie are big whether we like them or not 

Better than 2019 I would say. Again, maybe not the best RW, but in the grand scheme of festivals? Still one of the best overall lineups on the planet after Mad Cool and Prima

.. and Glastonbury. 

The 2019 undercard was way better and more diverse by the way. Last day had both Underworld and New Order playing the tents during the last headliner. This year has... Polo G closing the weekend on the second biggest stage. 

New Order, Underworld, Kylie Minogue, The Good the Bad and The Queen, Janelle Monae, Mogwai, Richard Ashcroft, Elbow, Robyn, Kurt Vile, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Brockhampton, Rosalia, Mac Demarco, Jungle, Paul Kalkbrenner all played the tents. Looking back at that lineup made me realize even more how weak the Barn/KlubC lineup is this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

The 2019 undercard was way better and more diverse by the way. Last day had both Underworld and New Order playing the tents during the last headliner. This year has... Polo G closing the weekend on the second biggest stage. 

And Polo G is bigger and more relevant right now than anyone you listed, just not for us. IMO if you wanna talk about act diversity that's much better than 2019 Sunday's 3 closing acts who were all at their peak over a decade ago. Same goes for The Kid Laroi on Thursday, I couldn't name you a song of his but he's enormous. I think it's good that the kids get something while the fossils watch the old bands, it just sucks that we have nothing on Saturday after FNM pulled out.

6 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

And Polo G is bigger and more relevant right now than anyone you listed, just not for us. IMO if you wanna talk about act diversity that's much better than 2019 Sunday's 3 closing acts who were all at their peak over a decade ago. Same goes for The Kid Laroi on Thursday, I couldn't name you a song of his but he's enormous. I think it's good that the kids get something while the fossils watch the old bands, it just sucks that we have nothing on Saturday after FNM pulled out.

Polo G is definitely a name they should book, so I'm all for it. But closing the biggest (arena sized) stage is a bit far fetched isn't it? 

Please don't remind me about FNM, I'm still mourning the loss. 

Previously when there were headliners I haven't wanted to see there has always been something else to watch, such is the diversity of Werchter. However, this year feels very bland in comparison. If you had a pop act on main, dance act in Klub C and an alternative/heavier band in the Barn I think you'd keep most people happy. I don't think they've achieved that balance this year. 

On the positive side I've never had time to go and have a look around Lueven much in previous years. So on Saturday I'm going to go have a look, have a few beers and make my way back to watch Grandson on the slope. 

Edited by maesydderwen
Grammar

3 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Polo G is definitely a name they should book, so I'm all for it. But closing the biggest (arena sized) stage is a bit far fetched isn't it? 

Nah, not at all given his spots at other festivals, it's pretty much bang-on. Guy's massive right now. Especially when the mainstage alternative is 60 year old funk-rockers, gives the young'uns something to do.

4 minutes ago, maesydderwen said:

Previously when there were headliners I haven't wanted to see there has always been something else to watch, such is the diversity of Werchter. However, this year feels very bland in comparison. If you had a pop act on main, dance act in Klub C and an alternative/heavier band in the Barn I think you'd keep most people happy. I don't think they've achieved that balance this year. 

I think the Saturday definitely sticks out as a day with a lack of diversity, absolutely. That said, the acts on offer are still great, Bicep are very coveted - every time I've shown one of my EDM mates my plans for the year they point them out as a "do not miss". Hell, even having Phoebe Bridgers on that day is great considering she just completely sold out all 9 UK shows this year. 

Already seeing London Grammar as they're opening for Coldplay so hoping for a great undercard.

Given the rumors I've checked some women acts to see who'll be available on the 26th.

• Caroline Polachek (no idea - playing Glastonbury on day TBA, no Belgian date)
  • Charli XCX (quite unlikely - playing Glastonbury on Friday, but also touring in Brussels one month before)
  • Clairo (ruled out - playing Glastonbury on Sunday)
  • Confidence Man (no idea - playing Glastonbury on Friday, never played in Belgium before, would be fun in the Barn)
  • Holly Humberstone (ruled out - playing Glastonbury on Sunday)
  • Jessie Ware (a possibility I would say - playing Glastonbury on day TBA, no Belgian date, played the festival before)
  • Little Simz (ruled out, playing in France on Sunday)
  • London Grammar (very likely, almost confirmed on Festileaks afaik)
  • Lorde (unlikely - rumored to play Glastonbury on Sunday, playing Friday could open the door though)
  • Selah Sue (a possibility I would say - Belgian act, back with a new album, free on Sunday, only one Brussels date in April and not sure her Pukkelpop date would rule her out here)
  • Sigrid (no idea - playing Glastonbury on day TBA, but playing Pukkelpop)
  • Wolf Alice (ruled out - touring with Harry Styles on Sunday)

29 minutes ago, VCF said:

Already seeing London Grammar as they're opening for Coldplay so hoping for a great undercard.

Given the rumors I've checked some women acts to see who'll be available on the 26th.

• Caroline Polachek (no idea - playing Glastonbury on day TBA, no Belgian date)
  • Charli XCX (quite unlikely - playing Glastonbury on Friday, but also touring in Brussels one month before)
  • Clairo (ruled out - playing Glastonbury on Sunday)
  • Confidence Man (no idea - playing Glastonbury on Friday, never played in Belgium before, would be fun in the Barn)
  • Holly Humberstone (ruled out - playing Glastonbury on Sunday)
  • Jessie Ware (a possibility I would say - playing Glastonbury on day TBA, no Belgian date, played the festival before)
  • Little Simz (ruled out, playing in France on Sunday)
  • London Grammar (very likely, almost confirmed on Festileaks afaik)
  • Lorde (unlikely - rumored to play Glastonbury on Sunday, playing Friday could open the door though)
  • Selah Sue (a possibility I would say - Belgian act, back with a new album, free on Sunday, only one Brussels date in April and not sure her Pukkelpop date would rule her out here)
  • Sigrid (no idea - playing Glastonbury on day TBA, but playing Pukkelpop)
  • Wolf Alice (ruled out - touring with Harry Styles on Sunday)

I would actually consider London Grammar basically ruled out. Based on the info on Festileaks, they were to sub F+TM, but pulled out at the same time as cancelling their Tempelhof show. The search for a replacement is probably why it took so long to announce the event.

Unrelated info: Studio Brussel is saying that more names will follow next week. Must be in the first half of the week then, given the ticket sale starting on Thursday.

6 hours ago, maesydderwen said:

the fact its sold out even with a weak line up shows they know what they're doing. 

Can you imagine going to any other country, telling them Pearl Jam, Metallica, The Killers and RHCP are headlining the same festival and calling it a weak lineup. Glastonbury couldn't manage that.

• Like 1

I have a question. Are there some lockers at the festival big enough for a laptop? I'll be working from Amsterdam for a few days before the festival (end of the Q2 yay) so I'd like to put the laptop somewhe safe for the duration of the festival

Googling didn't help

2 hours ago, Nicklord said:

I have a question. Are there some lockers at the festival big enough for a laptop? I'll be working from Amsterdam for a few days before the festival (end of the Q2 yay) so I'd like to put the laptop somewhe safe for the duration of the festival

Googling didn't help

Yes

22 hours ago, maesydderwen said:

It's a shame they couldn't have amalgamated all these random days into the actual festival and made it stronger. But I guess the need to make money after the past two years and the fact its sold out even with a weak line up shows they know what they're doing. 

I go to werchter like 26 years. This is a strong werchter line up . Typical strong headliners like pj, Metallica, rhcp, killers, .. and yes saturday is a little different maybe but still its a strong young line up. 

Btw stromae, gorillaz, florence , nick cave they dont come to be a sub or even third last. 

It will be a great sold out summer, finally again

In my opinion this is the weakest lineup since I started doing Rock Werchter iin 2009. Even with QOTSA and FnM there were only five bands I was really looking forward seeing, now it's only 3; Pearl Jam, Metallica and Pixies. 

After no RW for two years this line up is a huge disappointment in my opinion. Imagine Dragons headlining Saturday is a joke and the undercard on every day gives me the chance to stay in Leuven until it's dark (except on Thursday when Pixies is playing).

But it will still be a lot of fun...and Gojira is playing in Brussels on Tuesday after RW witch makes the trip a lot better 😎🤘

2 hours ago, Gossard said:

In my opinion this is the weakest lineup since I started doing Rock Werchter iin 2009. Even with QOTSA and FnM there were only five bands I was really looking forward seeing, now it's only 3; Pearl Jam, Metallica and Pixies. 

After no RW for two years this line up is a huge disappointment in my opinion. Imagine Dragons headlining Saturday is a joke and the undercard on every day gives me the chance to stay in Leuven until it's dark (except on Thursday when Pixies is playing).

But it will still be a lot of fun...and Gojira is playing in Brussels on Tuesday after RW witch makes the trip a lot better 😎🤘

Just a question: have you actually listened to all names that are playing the festival?

I've done so and have been extremely suprised and look forward to seeing a bunch of artists I never even heard of previously. Ever more surprised that rock music has made such a return.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Black said:

Just a question: have you actually listened to all names that are playing the festival?

I've done so and have been extremely suprised and look forward to seeing a bunch of artists I never even heard of previously. Ever more surprised that rock music has made such a return.

I have checked out a few names yes. But I don't go to Rock Werchter to discover new bands, I'd go to Roskilde if I wanted that. I go there to see well established bands that I've known for years and this year there are not too many!

25 minutes ago, Gossard said:

I have checked out a few names yes. But I don't go to Rock Werchter to discover new bands, I'd go to Roskilde if I wanted that. I go there to see well established bands that I've known for years and this year there are not too many!

Well it's the first time in 10+ years that I skip Werchter, just because none of the headliners do it for me. Metallica is of course a big band but I didn't enjoy them in 2014 and I thought both Killers and RHCP were disappointing the last time they played. 

Luckily RW always has a strong undercard but even that is not very exciting for me this year. 

But I hope to be back in 2023. 🙂

27 minutes ago, Gossard said:

I understand. Normally that's the case for me as well to go for established names I listen to. But I had some time to check out all names and my planning is now stacked. I'd suggest you give it a chance to check out all names, as you might find a gem. Don't forget that almost all artists start out on the smallest stages.

1 hour ago, The Black said:

For real, it's crazy to think that bands like Nothing But Thieves are on at 2pm, Turnstile at 3pm, Sam Fender at 7pm who will probably headline Leeds next year. 

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

For real, it's crazy to think that bands like Nothing But Thieves are on at 2pm, Turnstile at 3pm, Sam Fender at 7pm who will probably headline Leeds next year. 

It’s Belgium, not The UK. Nothing But Thieves is a small band here, playing small clubs. And Turnstile isn’t too big anywhere is it? 

15 hours ago, lighthouse said:

And Turnstile isn’t too big anywhere is it? 

Turnstile played Jimmy Kimmel, they're the biggest name in hardcore punk right now - which is still a niche genre, sure, but a 3pm slot is wild. Primavera bumped them up not long ago. There's a hell of a lot of good music on the bill this year that people might miss by not looking around