Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

2 hours ago, polnico said:

Looking at was is said in the Festileaks forum, Volbeat isn't really a "replacement" per se. They were almost certainly already booked for that day, and since they were unnanounced, easy to bump them up and call them the replacement for QOTSA, while also signing a smaller act that is the actual replacement of QOTSA. So in the end, using the same scheme as Werchter, but with "the unnanounced band" trick additionally.

This is of course all rumours, but it sounds really plausible to me.

And also not really a big announcement, this cancellation. True story about Volbeat though, they were already booked but the festivals promotors knew already for a long time that there were troubles with qotsa. 

1 hour ago, Ken19 said:

And also not really a big announcement, this cancellation. True story about Volbeat though, they were already booked but the festivals promotors knew already for a long time that there were troubles with qotsa. 

Still not what I would call „fair play“. If the organizers know a big artist cancelled, they shouldn‘t continue to sell tickets with their name.

Mad Cool still doesn‘t bother to communicate about this until now.

Edited by Karlos12345

4 hours ago, Karlos12345 said:

Still not what I would call „fair play“. If the organizers know a big artist cancelled, they shouldn‘t continue to sell tickets with their name.

Mad Cool still doesn‘t bother to communicate about this until now.

True story… 

there will change a lot of things at mad Cool. 

7 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

I suppose he's hinting at other names cancelling besides QOTSA. He already implied the QOTSA cancel has been known for a while internally, so I imagine it also being the case for other major names. 

I actually think he means a lot will change for Mad Cool in the long, in the coming years, as he's replying to a message about MC being MC again. 

21 hours ago, BenG92 said:

There isn't one mate, the lineup's finished. Greta Van Fleet were bumped up. Pretty shocking really. 

Even more shocking that Pinkpop just replaced them with Volbeat and Mad Cool will surely bring someone else in in their place. 

Pretty disappointing if that’s the case. Remember them replacing Foo Fighters with another headliner 2 weeks (!) before the festival. The worst thing is that Greta is headlining now for some reason. They were dreadful last time.

Its Moderat and not much else for us then. Looking forward to them though.

1 hour ago, misterplow said:

Pretty disappointing if that’s the case. Remember them replacing Foo Fighters with another headliner 2 weeks (!) before the festival. The worst thing is that Greta is headlining now for some reason. They were dreadful last time.

Its Moderat and not much else for us then. Looking forward to them though.

For my sins I do like Metallica and wanna see them once before I die, so sadly Moderat is a clash for me. Biggest disappointment after the 3 cancellations but hey, festivals have clashes. Thankfully I'm doing Primavera too so I won't miss Beck and Turnstile 

Looking at the time quickly, my doubts are:

TWOD or Black Pumas ?
Greta Van Fleet or ALT-J ?
Lewis Capaldi or Sam Fender?

I also don't agree with certain things about the schedule, it should be like this:

Moderat at the end of the Metallica concert
Bicep at the end of the ID concerts
Lost Frequency at the end of the RHCP concert

13 minutes ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

Looking at the time quickly, my doubts are:

TWOD or Black Pumas ?
Greta Van Fleet or ALT-J ?
Lewis Capaldi or Sam Fender?

I also don't agree with certain things about the schedule, it should be like this:

Moderat at the end of the Metallica concert
Lost Frequency at the end of the RHCP concert

Hey! Have exactly the same clashes!
We're going to do Black Pumas (maybe not fully) then final of TWOD, ALT J (they are a blast in the Barn, uncomparable with their mainnstage set), Sam Fender (because he'll be huge later and seeing him in the barn will be amazing). 

41 minutes ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

No, because what do we do until then? 😂  It would be nicer though if they'd swapped Bicep with Jamie xx to close the night with a nice party. 

A big clash for me is Airbourne vs Fontaines D.C.

I don't get why Airbourne is so early on the first day (a lot of people won't be inside the festival park yet) and playing only for 40'. They are much bigger than this...

2 hours ago, pigital said:

Hey! Have exactly the same clashes!
We're going to do Black Pumas (maybe not fully) then final of TWOD, ALT J (they are a blast in the Barn, uncomparable with their mainnstage set), Sam Fender (because he'll be huge later and seeing him in the barn will be amazing). 

It's my first time, but from what I'm repairing The Barn stage, one person "feels" the bands more. I think my picks will be TWOD , ALT-J and Sam Fender .

1 hour ago, Floyd_Ams said:

No, because what do we do until then? 😂  It would be nicer though if they'd swapped Bicep with Jamie xx to close the night with a nice party. 

I don't get why Airbourne is so early on the first day (a lot of people won't be inside the festival park yet) and playing only for 40'. They are much bigger than this...

The question is really that "close the night" ... like you speak in Jamie XX, Jamie's performance is over and the IDs are still performing, in my opinion I would like better that at the end of the IDs we were going to see Jamie to close the night... I'm so used to NOS Alive.
But here at NOS Alive the schedule is also different, the first band starts at 5 pm and the festival closes with the last performance starting at 3 am.

Edited by Daniel Ferreira

3 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

I agree that it makes more sense that an electronic act finishes the day but I think that would require main stage to be pushed earlier and that headliners would play in the daylight. I'm pretty sure there's a curfew there (or at least that's what I remember reading 😄

This having a curfew if true is epic 😄 
Is there no stage at the campsite? 😄 

1 hour ago, Floyd_Ams said:

It's a Belgian festival, so you have to take into account a band might not be as popular over there. I remember a discussion a few years back about Wolf Alice not being in the Barn. but on the Slope stage. In the end there was plenty of room at the Slope. 

2 minutes ago, Judithmt said:

It's a Belgian festival, so you have to take into account a band might not be as popular over there. I remember a discussion a few years back about Wolf Alice not being in the Barn. but on the Slope stage. In the end there was plenty of room at the Slope. 

That is true! At the same time in the previous (canceled) edition of Graspop (also in Belgium), a festival with much more competition in the rock n roll & metal genres, they were high up in the poster just before Iron Maiden (same level as Mastodon, Alter Bridge, Mercyful Fate). I guess I thought they had more appeal to a mainstream audience but I might be wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Judithmt said:

Agreed, their slot felt surprising at the time but I was at the Antwerp gig a few months after and they did not even sell out the Trix Club (capacity of 450).

Their next Botanique show has been upgraded to La Madeleine though, that's good news but still striking given how big they are in the UK.

In festivals the success of a gig, in terms of attendance, for these bands also depends on who they go up against and the time of day they play at. A "smaller" band that would provide a good alternative to...21p for example...can fill up the Barn or KlubC but not have many people around on a sunny day and against similar bands. 

31 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

That is true! At the same time in the previous (canceled) edition of Graspop (also in Belgium), a festival with much more competition in the rock n roll & metal genres, they were high up in the poster just before Iron Maiden (same level as Mastodon, Alter Bridge, Mercyful Fate). I guess I thought they had more appeal to a mainstream audience but I might be wrong. 

I always take it as a positive when I'm at a show abroad. Good opportunity to see my favourite artists in a smaller setting without being elbowed in the face by people trying to get to the front. Even when it means getting up way too early. I guess in this case it's indeed a niche vs mainstream festival thing.

42 minutes ago, Judithmt said:

I always take it as a positive when I'm at a show abroad. Good opportunity to see my favourite artists in a smaller setting without being elbowed in the face by people trying to get to the front. Even when it means getting up way too early. I guess in this case it's indeed a niche vs mainstream festival thing.

Indeed, I agree. I was surprised that they were placed that early but not sad about it. The only sad part is that I have to choose between 2 bands that I like (but oh well...it's a festival) and I'm a bit worried that I might not get there on time cause it's the very first day. Driving down from NL, trying to avoid traffic around Antwerpen, dropping things at the camp before, etc, etc.....Have missed many bands like that in the past. I just need to get started earlier I guess!  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Indeed, I agree. I was surprised that they were placed that early but not sad about it. The only sad part is that I have to choose between 2 bands that I like (but oh well...it's a festival) and I'm a bit worried that I might not get there on time cause it's the very first day. Driving down from NL, trying to avoid traffic around Antwerpen, dropping things at the camp before, etc, etc.....Have missed many bands like that in the past. I just need to get started earlier I guess!  🤷‍♂️

So frustrating when you hear the first chords and you are still outside waiting to get your bags checked.