Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

The second TW Classic is on 26 June, the same weekend as the first one (with Nick Cave and Placebo). So I guess the second Werchter Boutique will happen on Saturday 18 June (the day before Stromae and Gorillaz). I thought about Muse but they play in Italy on 17th and then in UK. Foo Fighters are not available either as they are in Portugal that weekend. I can't imagine Maroon 5 headline such a huge event in Belgium... Are they still so big? Don't think so. 

23 minutes ago, Archi said:

The second TW Classic is on 26 June, the same weekend as the first one (with Nick Cave and Placebo). So I guess the second Werchter Boutique will happen on Saturday 18 June (the day before Stromae and Gorillaz). I thought about Muse but they play in Italy on 17th and then in UK. Foo Fighters are not available either as they are in Portugal that weekend. I can't imagine Maroon 5 headline such a huge event in Belgium... Are they still so big? Don't think so. 

Dua Lipa, The Weeknd, Marron 5 ?  these kind of popular acts ?
Editors, London grammar to complete one of these days ?

8 hours ago, Archi said:

Given how the Dutch press release speaks about an "encore" and the tents will be used, I'd say the weekend after RW is more likely.

And since all 3 stages will be used, I'm not expecting a huge headliner, as they seem to focus on the total package.

1 hour ago, misterplow said:

So who’s the replacement for QOTSA then? Just realize that the Friday is quite poor looking without them. 

At least we’ve got 1.5h of Moderat that day. That will be epic.

There isn't one mate, the lineup's finished. Greta Van Fleet were bumped up. Pretty shocking really. 

Even more shocking that Pinkpop just replaced them with Volbeat and Mad Cool will surely bring someone else in in their place. 

Edited by BenG92

7 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

There isn't one mate, the lineup's finished. Greta Van Fleet were bumped up. Pretty shocking really. 

Even more shocking that Pinkpop just replaced them with Volbeat and Mad Cool will surely bring someone else in in their place. 

Looking at was is said in the Festileaks forum, Volbeat isn't really a "replacement" per se. They were almost certainly already booked for that day, and since they were unnanounced, easy to bump them up and call them the replacement for QOTSA, while also signing a smaller act that is the actual replacement of QOTSA. So in the end, using the same scheme as Werchter, but with "the unnanounced band" trick additionally.

This is of course all rumours, but it sounds really plausible to me.

Edited by polnico

7 minutes ago, polnico said:

Looking at was is said in the Festileaks forum, Volbeat isn't really a "replacement" per se. They were almost certainly already booked for that day, and since they were unnanounced, easy to bump them up and call them the replacement for QOTSA, while also signing a smaller act that is the actual replacement of QOTSA. So in the end, using the same scheme as Werchter, but with "the unnanounced band" trick additionally.

This is of course all rumours, but it sounds really plausible to me.

So Pinkpop had a day with Imagine Dragons, Volbeat AND Queens Of The Stone Age? That would've be quite impressive, size- wise. 

26 minutes ago, polnico said:

This is similar in size to the original trio of Werchter on the saturday (ID, TOP, FNM).

Sure, but that's Werchter - looking at Pinkpop I'm not convinced that Volbeat were originally planned. Metallica/PJ/ID headliners, 21P/Royal Blood/QOTSA subs and then bands like Nightwish and Nothing But Thieves below. Neither QOTSA nor Volbeat belong next to those. 

8 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

You think so? FNM played an afternoon slot at Pinkpop in 2015. QOTSA are way bigger than that. Pinkpop has TOP playing their second stage too... 

(Adore FNM though)

It's always a question of taste, but I really think both trios have a similar "impact" on a poster. 

In this case, I am more comparing QOTSA to TOP: very different bands, and surely I much prefer QOTSA, but TOP is a big band nowadays, and I have no doubt that they're at least the size of QOTSA.

The FNM - Volbeat comparison is a bit different: one band is arguably bigger (Volbeat) but is also better fitted to "metal" festivals. The second one is I would say "historically" a bit bigger, so I guess everything evens out.

But once again, question of taste.

Just now, BenG92 said:

Sure, but that's Werchter - looking at Pinkpop I'm not convinced that Volbeat were originally planned. Metallica/PJ/ID headliners, 21P/Royal Blood/QOTSA subs and then bands like Nightwish and Nothing But Thieves below. Neither QOTSA nor Volbeat belong next to those. 

I am just relating what was said in Festileaks forum. I think the theory is really plausible, so that's why I mentionned it here. But we'll probably never know ! 😄 

The Weeknd would make sense and as it can sold-out 2 times SportPaleis (20k) and said he wanted to do bigger shows (stadium) to offer a better show to the fans, he could do it at Werchter. And Maroon 5 as sub? They put Gorillaz and Stromae on the same day so that could be possible too.

About the debate QOTSA / TOP, their success are quite similar right now I think. It can sound weird because QOTSA are way older but both can fit as headliner on every festivals.

• Upvote 1