Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

1 hour ago, Ken19 said:

And knowing the normal replacement was The Strokes 😳

Actually this proves my point even further. If a festival has TWO options on the table at the very last minute I'd expect more options and tryouts to deliver a stellar line-up when one has 6 months to go. 

Friday is still good for me, not perfect since QOTSA are out (hoping they're out of entire EU June-July circuit, that will ease the pain a bit). Saturday is abysmal and - as @Ken19stated - beyond saving. That's the worst part. Especially when there will be clashes on other days and Saturday is a no-clash day.

1 hour ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Would be awesome if the Smile (Thom Yorke) could headline the barn.  Maybe wishful thinking..

Still - they'd headline Thu or Fri.  They'd be PERFECT alternative for Imagine Dragons.

I get the complaints about the lack of a QOTSA replacement, but for me the big issue isn't the overall quality of the lineup (which on face value is still really good) but much more the spread across the different days.

Saturday is such a dead day for me, Phoebe Bridgers and Jamie XX the only two acts I'm vaguely interested in. And even if the other three days are packed with acts I want to see (in some ways especially if so if there's clashes) having a dead day in the middle of the festival disproportionately impacts its appeal. 

For me that's the big difference with the Mad Cool line-up. On each day there's a spread of four or five acts I want to see. So even if people drop out and aren't replaced well (which I completely understand can happen), I'd still feel I was getting the 4.5 days festival I paid for. And the same applies to other festivals with worse line-ups that I suspect I'll still come away from having enjoyed more. Whereas with RW I'm already one day down.

Obviously RW can't cater for all tastes and I'm sure ID and TOP will sell their share of tickets but given how many people I've seen complaining about the Saturday specifically, it does seem that particular days has failed to appeal to a large swathe of the people buying the four day ticket. And it's particularly deflating in the context of this being the year we finally get to go to festivals again.

Edited by SDNL
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SDNL said:

I get the complaints about the lack of a QOTSA replacement, but for me the big issue isn't the overall quality of the lineup (which on face value is still really good) but much more the spread across the different days.

Obviously RW can't cater for all tastes and I'm sure ID and TOP will sell their share of tickets but given how many people I've seen complaining about the Saturday specifically, it does seem that particular days has failed to appeal to a large swathe of the people buying the four day ticket. And it's particularly deflating in the context of this being the year we finally get to go to festivals again.

Yeah well said, I agree with this. I don't know if this was the only possible way forward for the bookers (hard to believe) but Saturday is indeed very poorly planned for the core crowd of RW. Diversifying a bit in terms of music style should have been in the cards and it didn't have to be based on the "big" names. Looking at this...:

1314889396_Screenshot2022-01-29at17_22_11.thumb.png.81aa4b0c6f217adfee9b55583c83c5de.png

...It's hard to believe that this is a RW day (especially the Main Stage program looks like it belongs to a different festival).

Even with the same line-up (plus a few "not huge" bands that actually appeal to the majority of the RW goers) and a more evenly spread of acts we could have a better experience. 

So the main hope now is for a sunny Saturday! 🙂

32 minutes ago, SDNL said:

Saturday is such a dead day for me, Phoebe Bridgers and Jamie XX the only two acts I'm vaguely interested in. And even if the other three days are packed with acts I want to see (in some ways especially if so if there's clashes) having a dead day in the middle of the festival disproportionately impacts its appeal. 

And I feel like the Friday doesn't help either. I like 6-7 acts but something bothers me on that day, and I find the fact that there are barely any women to be shocking. I'm not the one pushing as much as Primavera did, but I count 4 women among 23 acts... 

At least Thursday and Sunday are solid!

Edited by VCF

7 minutes ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

(Doubt)
Being my first time, festival usually has 2 stages in operation and 2 stages off? or all working at the same time?

No not really. It can happen that all stages have something going on at the same time but with different starting times usually. Overlaps can be a problem between the Barn and KlubC especially when there is someone like ID or 21p (or Pink in the past - you get the meaning) on the main stage.

Edited by Floyd_Ams

10 minutes ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

(Doubt)
Being my first time, festival usually has 2 stages in operation and 2 stages off? or all working at the same time?

Main Stage and the Slope never operate at the same time. Same for The Barn and Klub C. Once an act finishes in one tent, an other begins his set in the other tent.

Good overview here: https://clashfinder.com/m/rw2019/

Edited by VCF

17 hours ago, Scarnic said:

Does anyone create a playlist of the barn or klub bands? I don't know 60 per cent of the bands announced and could do with putting it on and letting it play to hear what gets my foot tapping.

I always create a playlist of all bands which I continue to update as time goes based on likes/dislikes. A great way to discover new bands and not at least too know some songs before seeing them live. That combined with colouring codes in Clashfinder, makes an Excel-fan really happy 😛

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VCF said:

Main Stage and the Slope never operate at the same time. Same for The Barn and Klub C. Once an act finishes in one tent, an other begins his set in the other tent.

Hmmm...You are probably right for the overall scheduling but I vividly remember sitting multiple times at the big screen space between The Barn and KlubC with things going on in both of them. Maybe it was bands finishing later than scheduled in one of them but it certainly happens at times 

40 minutes ago, VCF said:

For me it's super strange to see that festival has bands starting at 13h, here in Portugal they usually start between 17h/18h 😅

Saturday sucks so hard and I actually like Twenty One Pilots & Nothing But Thieves.  Looking like no replacement for QOTSA which is absolutely dire and a bit of a slap in the face.  Feel like there's a lot of bands on tour missing (Deftones, Wolf Alice, Foals, Rise Against etc).

1 hour ago, Naeb said:

Saturday sucks so hard and I actually like Twenty One Pilots & Nothing But Thieves.  Looking like no replacement for QOTSA which is absolutely dire and a bit of a slap in the face.  Feel like there's a lot of bands on tour missing (Deftones, Wolf Alice, Foals, Rise Against etc).

Deftones would be the dream replacement for me, but I sadly don't see this happening. With what Ken said about no more big main names being announced I sadly doubt this will be the case.

Still, I remember a lot of "complaints" in 2019 when the Thursday was first announced with a shorter day, and Werchter later came with a few nice additions, saying "they heard the fans complaints", so I guess they could change their mind and add a big sub for friday. But that situation was way different than the one this year: that shorter thursday was just honestly weird, especially for same price. 

Edited by polnico

11 hours ago, polnico said:

Deftones would be the dream replacement for me, but I sadly don't see this happening. With what Ken said about no more big main names being announced I sadly doubt this will be the case.

Still, I remember a lot of "complaints" in 2019 when the Thursday was first announced with a shorter day, and Werchter later came with a few nice additions, saying "they heard the fans complaints", so I guess they could change their mind and add a big sub for friday. But that situation was way different than the one this year: that shorter thursday was just honestly weird, especially for same price. 

Deftones will perform at Graspop, and therefore Belgium exclusive festival appearance.

Edited by The Black

1 minute ago, P.bintein said:

@Ken19can we really think the US headliner will be there? Shawn Mendes just announce he pospones his tour to 2023. I don't understand why some US artist will can tour and not the other. 

Is RW are working on something if the US headliner can't come this year with only European artistes?

Shawn Mendes‘ tour started mid March and was an indoor arena tour. Can‘t compare to festivals in the summer.

Also it‘s expected that EU states start to ease regulations soon with the Omicron wave declining. There are enormous numbers at the moment, but no problems at hospitals other than staff shortage, which is a very temporary problem and gone once the numbers decline. Look at Denmark. One of the worst countries when it comes to case numbers but still lifting ALL regulation. As long as there is no other variant soon, we will have shows this summer. Maybe even indoor touring from April. But not March. Too short notice for international bands to plan when there‘s still governments not lifting regulations just yet. But again, it‘ll happen soon. There‘s even an European agreement for free travel with a vaccination card to be in place soon.

For international bands handling things differently? It depends on:

- start of the tour

- own risk and safety assessment of the band

- vaccination status of the band

- venue size

- production size

- amount of planning and rehearsing necessary for the show

- …

• Like 1

So happy to see that alt-j will play in the barn ! (Remember 2015 😍)

What do you think about Bazart on main stage ? I’m so sad.. it’s not a good choice for me, they’re a great belgian band, but isn’t it too big for them? (They were the perfect headliner in the barn) And in addition, the day of metallica.. all the fan of metallica don’t care about Bazart, (remember alt-j before FF in 2017..) 

Anyway, it’s going to be a big party, can’t wait !

With my holidays planning, I only can go to the festival the saturday...
I really don't understand the main stage programm,  Anne-marie (what ???) , Yungblud, Maneskin, and Imagine Dragon are really terrible for me.
I saw 21 pilots have more musicians on stage, maybe it will be a good "familly" show, but it still not my dope.
I don't understand the hype for Jamie XX, I found it boring, but, still curious, is he good live ?

My choices for this day are : Jorja Smith,  Leon Bridges,  Nothing but thieves (who deserves a better place ), Phoebe Bridgers, Pitou, and Markus King.
Hope for good show from these artists.....