Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

Just now, Newjem said:

How much of a pain in the arse do you have to be to moan about not replacing one band when there's 80+ more.

You're spending your day telling people who have spent 125 euro to see a band cry babies because said band has cancelled with no possibility of a refund. Get a grip.

IMO the obvious replacement would have been Liam Gallagher, where is he by the way?

Playing Pukkelpop (touring end of August)? Live is Live (only available on the Sunday, but Duran Duran is headlining)? TW Classic 2 (don't remember the date)? Or simply no Belgian festival date?

Edited by VCF

2 minutes ago, Aech said:

You're spending your day telling people who have spent 125 euro to see a band cry babies because said band has cancelled with no possibility of a refund. Get a grip.

That's how festivals work and bands sometimes cancel. You've ever seen "Subject to change" on a poster or in T&C's? You're buying tickets to festival, not to solo show. It's not festival's fault that the band changed their mind.

12 minutes ago, Newjem said:

That's how festivals work and bands sometimes cancel. You've ever seen "Subject to change" on a poster or in T&C's? You're buying tickets to festival, not to solo show. It's not festival's fault that the band changed their mind.

No but it´s the fault of the festival they replace them with garbage like Anne-Marie and Bazart.

But I do like a lot of the smaller names, I´m just saying I don´t agree with your way of thinking. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Newjem said:

Can someone find me another festival where the headliner dropped out with half a years notice and they just bumped up the sub to replace them?

They could always give us Florence or The Strokes. Those second ones especially would be fitting. Friday is sold out so we wouldn't have the problem they don't sell tickets. And the contract would be a done deal.

Florence on the other hand played 2nd last time as well so it could be doable.

Hell, Franz Ferdinand came back on stage, they have enough hits to give us 1 hour of fun. And they didn't even try to calm us with Editors ;/

Edited by heti
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newjem said:

That's another thing... They don't need to spend lots of money on someone when the tickets are sold out.

On the contrary, we have bought a service and expect for the price a level which we have paid for. 

It's like booking at a restaurant to pre-pay 50 euro for a meal and because they have sold out giving everyone a MC meal. Of course they should spend the 'allocated' money.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VCF said:

They may get into trouble some weeks prior to the festival, but at least they proved you can put together a great lineup with all the acts that are (for now) planning to tour this summer. 

Mad Cool may not have replaced FNM, yet the line-up that day is excellent. Anyway my main criticism regarding RW's laziness was on QOTSA. I actually think Anne Marie is not that bad of a replacement for FNM at RW and feels less out-of-place on that Saturday Main Stage. We'll see how Mad Cool will deal with the QOTSA situation, as Muse would be the only headliner left that day.

I'm not "praising Mad Cool so much" by the way, I'm well aware of all the slack they often get regarding their PR and dealing with agents. But if Mad Cool (and Primavera, and probably Glastonbury) was able to provide such a quality line-up in the COVID era, why should we expect a weaker festival from Rock Werchter?

I mean we're not in the same situation as last summer when Pukkelpop was the only EU festival planned. At this time, I was expecting and accepting a weaker festival. Not this summer when acts are planning to be on tour and some festivals are delivering. So yes, I was expecting more from one of the best festivals in the world.

I expect some major changes for Mad Cool in the near future. Normally also no qotsa over there… 

December turned a lot of the things in the line up around. Some major cancellations. It was the idea to announce something half december, but that plan failed. It was very difficult to find another artist to fill the gap without hurting other festivals in Belgium. And you already know the ego of the GVF agent… 

Anne-Marie was already one of the Barn heads, she switched dates. 

Negotiations with a bigger barn name thursday and klub c Friday are still going on. The other days nothing big to fill the last gaps. 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Newjem said:

That's another thing... They don't need to spend lots of money on someone when the tickets are sold out.

True but then again let's get back to 2015 when Dave broke his leg/ankle (can't remember) and Thursday was sold out months in advance. They've managed to get a proper replacement at the very last minute (FnM). None other festival who had Foo Fighters on the bill couldn't deliver such a quality band back then.

Therefore I'm obliged to expect more from RW management. Especially when there's shitload of time. 

3 minutes ago, Scarnic said:

On the contrary, we have bought a service and expect for the price a level which we have paid for. 

It's like booking at a restaurant to pre-pay 50 euro for a meal and because they have sold out giving everyone a MC meal. Of course they should spend the 'allocated' money.

But you don't know how much they've spent... 

7 minutes ago, heti said:

True but then again let's get back to 2015 when Dave broke his leg/ankle (can't remember) and Thursday was sold out months in advance. They've managed to get a proper replacement at the very last minute (FnM). None other festival who had Foo Fighters on the bill couldn't deliver such a quality band back then.

Therefore I'm obliged to expect more from RW management. Especially when there's shitload of time. 

But that was pre-covid. Remember these are different times people...

Edited by Newjem

12 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

I expect some major changes for Mad Cool in the near future. Normally also no qotsa over there… 

December turned a lot of the things in the line up around. Some major cancellations. It was the idea to announce something half december, but that plan failed. It was very difficult to find another artist to fill the gap without hurting other festivals in Belgium. And you already know the ego of the GVF agent… 

Negotiations with a bigger barn name thursday and klub c Friday are still going on. The other days nothing big to fill the last gaps. 

Would be awesome if the Smile (Thom Yorke) could headline the barn.  Maybe wishful thinking..

21 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Thanks for the input as always! Of course we're not aware of what's happening behind the scenes (even more in these difficult times) so I'm not saying the festival was lazy per se, it's just how it's perceived with QOTSA's situation and the communication around it.

Good to see that a bigger Barn name may be on the cards on Thursday. I'm not really expecting The Smile to play against Pearl Jam though (and I assume Anne Marie would have been the Barn headliner that day then?).

BTW as you're talking about major changes in the near future. Do you know whether CHVRCHES may be one of those cancellations? I know they're quite cautious with their tour, they recently cancelled a German festival to play Bonnaroo and... Mad Cool is their only EU date left.

Edited by VCF

21 minutes ago, heti said:

And knowing the normal replacement was The Strokes 😳

• Like 1