Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

Looking closely on the day and stage splits, I find the Thursday to be a really strong day. Fresh, diverse, potential clashes and covers a lot of genres. 

Gang of Youths > Fontaines D.C. > HAIM > Carly Rae Jepsen > First Aid Kit > The War On Drugs > Lianne La Havas/Barn headliner?

But again, I'm not sure I would pay 125 euros for a single festival day... I think it's still missing a Barn headliner against Pearl Jam, and someone like Lorde might urge me to make the move. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, The Black said:

The line-up is ok, nothing to get really excited about. But I'll be extra excited if it finally goes ahead this year!

Basically this imo. It's not the best line-up, though there's still about a dozen or so acts I'd merrily go see (RHCP and The Killers as a combo is a very good ending), but best thing will be that it just goes ahead.

1 hour ago, The Black said:

The line-up is ok, nothing to get really excited about. But I'll be extra excited if it finally goes ahead this year!

Totally agree! After digesting the bad news about the QOTSA and some lukewarm additions I came to the conclusion that it´s wonderful the festival takes place in the first place given the pandemic circumstances. 

Losing Faith No More was a blow. Losing QOTSA is devastating for me. And they didn't give us ANY suitable replacement. That is NOT OK. 

I'm happy with the idea that the festival might happen, happy with a lot of medium-sized bands but then again...I have 3 good days and one shitty beyond all the days I've spent at this festival. Really, Saturday is abysmal.

Last but no least...where's Liam Gallagher? And can we hope The Smile will be added once they decide to announce live dates ? 

• Upvote 2

Comparing 2022 lineup to 2020 lineup

1 day -- The Lumineers replaced by The War On Drugs ,
Swapped between days between Miles Kane and Fontaines DC

2 day - remove Strokes and put Metallica, remove Qotsa and raise Greta Van Fleet and without Liam Gallargher that day compared to 2020

3 day - remove Kendrick Lamar by ID and keep the 21p, absence of FNM and Anderson Paak were not replaced by anyone of weight... who is Anne Marie ???? what a horrible day... you could still enjoy the Keane on that day but they passed day 4, and they passed Yungblud from day 4 to day 3

Day 4 - Practically replaced SOAD, Volbeat and Placebo with RHCP, The Killers and Royal Blood...

Honestly, I have mixed emotions for being the first time I'm going to Werchter but I expected more, I think I liked the 2020 Line-up better.

They were expecting at least one of these women:
London Grammer or Wolf Alice or St Vincent

Looking at the other 3 stages there are names like Black Pumas, Parcels, Phoebe Bridgers, Kiwanuka, Big Thief, Meute and Lost Frequencies I really want to see 🙂

This will m schedule - hopefully I can manage it!

Thursday
Gang of youths ( main stage)
Cigarettes after sex ( klub C) 
Haim ( main stage) 
Charly rae jespen ( the barn) 
The war on drugs ( main stage) 
Black pumas ( klub c) 
Lianne la havas ( klub c) 

Friday 
Rhea ( main stage) 
Turnstile ( the barn) 
Idles ( main stage) 
Girl in red ( klub c) 
The last internationale ( the slope) 
Moderat ( the barn) 
Metallica ( main stage) 

Saturday 
Pitou ( klub c) 
Nothing but thieves ( Main stage) 
Clairo (klub c) 
Phoebe Bridgers (the barn) 
Leon bridges ( klub C) 
Twenty one pilots ( Main stage) 
Jamie xx ( the barn) 

Sunday 
Fever 333 ( the barn) 
Sum 41 ( main stage) 
Keane ( main stage) 
Modest mouse ( klub C) 
Royal blood ( main stage) 
Disclosure ( the barn) 
Red hot chilli peppers ( main stage) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

Comparing 2022 lineup to 2020 lineup

1 day -- The Lumineers replaced by The War On Drugs ,
Swapped between days between Miles Kane and Fontaines DC

2 day - remove Strokes and put Metallica, remove Qotsa and raise Greta Van Fleet and without Liam Gallargher that day compared to 2020

3 day - remove Kendrick Lamar by ID and keep the 21p, absence of FNM and Anderson Paak were not replaced by anyone of weight... who is Anne Marie ???? what a horrible day... you could still enjoy the Keane on that day but they passed day 4, and they passed Yungblud from day 4 to day 3

Day 4 - Practically replaced SOAD, Volbeat and Placebo with RHCP, The Killers and Royal Blood...

Honestly, I have mixed emotions for being the first time I'm going to Werchter but I expected more, I think I liked the 2020 Line-up better.

They were expecting at least one of these women:
London Grammer or Wolf Alice or St Vincent

Looking at the other 3 stages there are names like Black Pumas, Parcels, Phoebe Bridgers, Kiwanuka, Big Thief, Meute and Lost Frequencies I really want to see 🙂

Without even looking at it I'm favoring the 2020.

The most irritating thing is that we've lost 3 sub-headliners 6 and 5 months before the festival begins and they've added ZERO suitable replacements. Like there was no try. More like "fuck it, we're close to being sold out so who cares"...

Remember the good old days back in 2015 when they were able to call in Faith no More at the very last moment ? And that was a critical situation with Grohl breaking his leg. THAT WAS caring for the audience.

I'd wish to see such determination to provide great rock subs for this edition as well

Edited by heti
  • Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, heti said:

The most irritating thing is that we've lost 3 sub-headliners 6 and 5 months before the festival begins and they've added ZERO suitable replacements. Like there was no try. More like "fuck it, we're close to being sold out so who cares"...

Remember the good old days back in 2015 when they were able to call in Faith no More at the very last moment ? And that was a critical situation with Grohl breaking his leg. THAT WAS caring for the audience.

I'd wish to see such determination to provide great rock subs for this edition as well

While I was over the moon about the addition of Faith No More that year, I vividly remember A LOT of negative messages about FNM replacing the Foo Fighters. So, caring for the audience is relative. The organisation can't really be blamed for bands dropping out. Rock Werchter aren't the ones that cancelled the bands we wanted to see.

You lot should be more positive. It's not really easy to get solid replacement during Covid times. There will be more cancellations in upcoming months and we should just be glad that festivals will finally happen (hopefully). Expect weaker line-ups overall from all festivals...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Newjem said:

You lot should be more positive. It's not really easy to get solid replacement during Covid times. There will be more cancellations in upcoming months and we should just be glad that festivals will finally happen (hopefully). Expect weaker line-ups overall from all festivals...

I really do not get this kind of comments.

I paid a lot of money for bands I want to see, for a good line-up. I´m not paying 300 euro, just to go to a festival with artists I don´t like, just because I should be happy it happens.

3 minutes ago, Jefb said:

I really do not get this kind of comments.

I paid a lot of money for bands I want to see, for a good line-up. I´m not paying 300 euro, just to go to a festival with artists I don´t like, just because I should be happy it happens.

Then sell your ticket and don't go. Wait until everything is 100% fine but that won't be this year.

1 hour ago, Newjem said:

Expect weaker line-ups overall from all festivals...

But that's just not the case when you look at Primavera or Mad Cool. I would get the argument of uncertainty some weeks prior to the festival, but not 5 months before when you have time to manage the cancellations. It just feels lazy here, and the way it's been announced (in QOTSA's case) doesn't help at all.

36 minutes ago, misterplow said:

Are you guys really think they won’t replace QOTSA? Can imagine them shuffling around some stuff if a smaller act cancels, but this is a HEADLINER.  .

7 acts are announced for the main stage, so probably not. Unless they put one of the main stage acts (IDLES?) in a tent at the last minute? Which seems unlikely.

Edited by VCF

1 hour ago, Newjem said:

I'm sure we are all positive that RW and other festivals are going ahead( as of now). Saying that "it's not easy to get solid replacements" for the drop outs is a bit of a strange statement. The many other festivals that are out there at the same time have many more bands that could fit the bill and not all are so booked out that they couldn't find a same genre replacement (for the same budget, which they now have in pocket). 

I refer to the still unannounced acts that will be announced from Glasto which is the week before.

On a new point, who is the legend act this year? Or has that fallen victim to Covid.

9 minutes ago, VCF said:

But that's not just the case when you look at Primavera or Mad Cool. I would get the argument of uncertainty some weeks prior to the festival, but not 5 months before when you have time to manage the cancellations. It just feels lazy here, and the way it's been announced (in QOTSA's case) doesn't help at all.

Well yeah, line-ups are strong now but I have a feeling quite a few acts will eventually cancel their tours, so even Primavera and Mad Cool will get into trouble. If you praise Mad Cool so much... where's their FNM replacement, hm?

13 minutes ago, Scarnic said:

Saying that "it's not easy to get solid replacements" for the drop outs is a bit of a strange statement. The many other festivals that are out there at the same time have many more bands that could fit the bill and not all are so booked out that they couldn't find a same genre replacement (for the same budget, which they now have in pocket).

So tell me, what potential bands could replace QOTSA? (have a free date and are nearby so it's not a logistical nightmare for them) I don't think there's that many...

50 minutes ago, Newjem said:

So tell me, what potential bands could replace QOTSA? (have a free date and are nearby so it's not a logistical nightmare for them) I don't think there's that many...

Foals and even Korn are at various festivals within 2 weeks of RW and still have free dates to begin with.

Even Stromae would come and do a hour and a half. ( Possibly)

Edited by Scarnic

53 minutes ago, Newjem said:

Well yeah, line-ups are strong now but I have a feeling quite a few acts will eventually cancel their tours, so even Primavera and Mad Cool will get into trouble. If you praise Mad Cool so much... where's their FNM replacement, hm?

They may get into trouble some weeks prior to the festival, but at least they proved you can put together a great lineup with all the acts that are (for now) planning to tour this summer. 

Mad Cool may not have replaced FNM, yet the line-up that day is excellent. Anyway my main criticism regarding RW's laziness was on QOTSA. I actually think Anne Marie is not that bad of a replacement for FNM at RW and feels less out-of-place on that Saturday Main Stage. We'll see how Mad Cool will deal with the QOTSA situation, as Muse would be the only headliner left that day.

I'm not "praising Mad Cool so much" by the way, I'm well aware of all the slack they often get regarding their PR and dealing with agents. But if Mad Cool (and Primavera, and probably Glastonbury) was able to provide such a quality line-up in the COVID era, why should we expect a weaker festival from Rock Werchter?

I mean we're not in the same situation as last summer when Pukkelpop was the only EU festival planned. At this time, I was expecting and accepting a weaker festival. Not this summer when acts are planning to be on tour and some festivals are delivering. So yes, I was expecting more from one of the best festivals in the world.

Edited by VCF
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Scarnic said:

Foals and even Korn are at various festivals within 2 weeks of RW and still have free dates to begin with.

Even Stromae would come and do a hour and a half. ( Possibly)

Foals aren't big enough to (sub-) headline in Belgium. Korn have 3 shows during RW (2 in Finland, 1 in Spain) so not free (+already headlining Graspop). Stromae is headlining Werchter Boutique.

What else you've got?

14 minutes ago, VCF said:

They may get into trouble some weeks prior to the festival, but at least they proved you can put together a great lineup with all the acts that are (for now) planning to tour this summer. 

Mad Cool may not have replaced FNM, yet the line-up that day is excellent. Anyway my main criticism regarding RW's laziness was on QOTSA. I actually think Anne Marie is not that bad of a replacement for FNM at RW and feels less out-of-place on that Saturday Main Stage. We'll see how Mad Cool will deal with the QOTSA situation, as Muse would be the only headliner left that day.

I'm not "praising Mad Cool so much" by the way, I'm well aware of all the slack they often get regarding their PR and dealing with agents. But if Mad Cool (and Primavera, and probably Glastonbury) was able to provide such a quality line-up in the COVID era, why should we expect a weaker festival from Rock Werchter?

I mean we're not in the same situation as last summer when Pukkelpop was the only EU festival planned. At this time, I was expecting and accepting a weaker festival. Not this summer when acts are planning to be on tour and some festivals are delivering.

Time will tell... Yes, it's great that lots of other festivals have great line-ups but that doesn't mean these amazing line-ups will eventually happen.

22 minutes ago, VCF said:

I mean we're not in the same situation as last summer when Pukkelpop was the only EU festival planned. At this time, I was expecting and accepting a weaker festival. Not this summer when acts are planning to be on tour and some festivals are delivering. So yes, I was expecting more from one of the best festivals in the world.

I get the disappointment, I really do. Especially because it also concern me and a festival I'm going to (HellFest) with Faith No More not being here. Unlike Graspop who said immediatly "Within Temptation replace FNM!", HellFest are waiting to get a "better" replacement (maybe another "exclusivity" like NIN, that would be awesome), and I thought Rock Werchter would do the same... it seems not 😕 QOYSA + FNM not being here, it's hard ! and it desearved better replacements acts, I agree.    

BUT ! I'm also being neutral and realistic, and because I'm not going to Rock Werchter, I also recognise that the rest of the line up is pretty strong... ! so far the best with Primavera IMO. Try to imagine if they announced this last 2022 line up version all at once , and I think you'd still be happy ^^