Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

5 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

But how on earth is Polo G headlining the Barn then?

I have no idea. I'll be honest I don't even know him (I'm not his target audience though).

A lot of positive reactions on social media while I really feel like it's below average for RW standards. I'm not asking for the craziness of Mad Cool/Primavera line ups, but after two years without festivals, I was expecting... a lot more.

And that communication around QOTSA and Greta taking their spot is a disaster. I mean we are talking of a sub here.

Edited by VCF

I am neither excited nor disappointed by this announcement. There are several names I was hoping for and are not there (Archive, The Smile/Thom Yorke, Madrugada, and many more) but still the line-up is pretty good (especially considering the Covid related chaos caused to everyone's plans) and tbh...at this point I'm just happy to be going back to RW :). 

On Saturday it looks like we'll call it a night early and head back to the camp for a few beers but that's ok. I just hope that Jamie xx and Bicep will not overlap for a nice closure to the day.

Edited by Floyd_Ams

6 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

But how on earth is Polo G headlining the Barn then?

I don't think he's "headlining" the Barn, as he's playing after Disclosure who were supposed to be Barn heads in 2020. Perhaps he's closing due to scheduling reasons? Pukkelpop once had Snoop Dogg playing at noon for the same reason.

Yup pretty disappointing line up. I'm sure I'll have a good time when I'm there but previous versions have had a lot more wow factor than this. 

I think I may just be getting too old for festivals as I feel there are so many bland bands just dialling it in. To be fair there was probably tons of dross when I was younger but I was always too pissed to care. 

Plus I thought it was bad form to try and slip the QOTSA cancellation in unnoticed. 

Edited by maesydderwen
Edit

The mainstage on saturday might be the worst run of acts I've seen on a line-up (of festivals I'm interested in) in a long time.

Some good stuff on the undercard as always, especially Snail Mail, Big Thief, Sam Fender, Moses Sumney, Michael Kiwanuka, Clairo and Phoebe.

The heads don't do anything for me, but I get why they have been booked, except Greta van Fleet, having them on the top-line is just embarassing.

It's an okay line-up imo, but I think it could have been so much stronger.

3 minutes ago, MrTobs said:

The mainstage on saturday might be the worst run of acts I've seen on a line-up (of festivals I'm interested in) in a long time.

Some good stuff on the undercard as always, especially Snail Mail, Big Thief, Sam Fender, Moses Sumney, Michael Kiwanuka, Clairo and Phoebe.

The heads don't do anything for me, but I get why they have been booked, except Greta van Fleet, having them on the top-line is just embarassing.

It's an okay line-up imo, but I think it could have been so much stronger.

I’m finding myself irrationally annoyed by that Saturday. I don’t even think it’s cos I’m old and out of touch, it just looks pathetic. It’s not like this is some pop-up festival or something, this is Rock Werchter, arguably the biggest festival in mainland Europe and its like something a two-bit promoter would have put together. (Appreciate they’ve probably worked quite well in the circumstances to put together any sort of line up at all, and for every person like me that thinks it’s bad there’ll be about 3 people who look at it and think it’s amazing)

The other three days are mostly quite well balanced and I probably will actually end up discovering even more on them which results in me having even more clashes. But that Saturday…

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

Even though I posted my RW plan I'm actually looking at potentially swapping to Mad Cool. The main thing for me would be losing Pearl Jam but I gain so much in return it seems mad (hehe) not to at least look at the possibility. 

Yeah half my group now want to sell their tickets and we're all wishing we had doen Mad Cool instead, they definitely win the lineup this year by a long shot.

3 minutes ago, Aech said:

Yeah half my group now want to sell their tickets and we're all wishing we had doen Mad Cool instead, they definitely win the lineup this year by a long shot.

We're already doing Primavera as well so factoring in the bands playing there and the bands I wouldn't lose at MC, if I switched RW for MC, I personally would:

Lose: Pearl Jam (biggest loss), RHCP (seen), possibly Fender, Moderat, Bicep

Gain: Muse, Jack White, potentially get QOTSA back, 1 blank headliner, Kings of Leon, Florence + Machine, Deftones, Placebo, Chvrches, Animal Collective, Editors, Princess Nokia, Frank Carter, Foals, London Grammar, Sigrid, Floating Points, Glass Animals, Stephan Bodzin

That seems crazy not to do now that I think about it. The loss of FNM, The Streets and QOTSA was real kick in the nuts for me

Edited by BenG92

13 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

I’m finding myself irrationally annoyed by that Saturday. I don’t even think it’s cos I’m old and out of touch, it just looks pathetic. It’s not like this is some pop-up festival or something, this is Rock Werchter, arguably the biggest festival in mainland Europe and its like something a two-bit promoter would have put together. (Appreciate they’ve probably worked quite well in the circumstances to put together any sort of line up at all, and for every person like me that thinks it’s bad there’ll be about 3 people who look at it and think it’s amazing)

The other three days are mostly quite well balanced and I probably will actually end up discovering even more on them which results in me having even more clashes. But that Saturday…

I'm 19 and that sat-mainstage annoys me, it's just super boring and bland. I have to say some of my friends would probably like it, but mostly those of my friends, that don't care too much about music and just listen to everything that's on the radio/is popular, which is obviously okay, but I think they are not exactly the type of people Rock Werchter wants at their festival. Phoebe and Clairo would save the day tho for me and most of my other friends.

Edited by MrTobs

But Mad Cool is now completely sold out right? Even the 3-day tickets? 

They share a lot of headliners, most of them I'm not fussed about, but at least they managed to cover them with a crazy undercard. I don't know whether I'm asking too much but I just feel like RW failed in that regard. Look at the 2019 edition for instance. IIRC the lineup wasn't very well received with that half Thursday and the Sunday main stage (hi Greta), but the tents were just stacked with exciting names. 

I don't know, this year just feels... empty. There are obviously some great names here and there, but something is missing.

Again we're in a COVID era and putting a festival together may not be the easiest thing, but other festivals managed to do so brilliantly.

Edited by VCF

18 minutes ago, VCF said:

But Mad Cool is now completely sold out right? Even the 3-day tickets? 

They share a lot of headliners, most of them I'm not fussed about, but at least they managed to cover them with a crazy undercard. I don't know whether I'm asking too much but I just feel like RW failed in that regard. Look at the 2019 edition for instance. IIRC the lineup wasn't very well received with that half Thursday and the Sunday main stage (hi Greta), but the tents were just stacked with exciting names. 

You can buy day tickets, so 300 euros = 57 to switch from RW to 4 days of MC.

AirBnB accommodation in Spain will cost the same as the pre-setup camping I got at RW. 

So yeah, you'd be paying way more than standard for MC but living in Spain for 4 days is going to be cheaper than Belgium for sure - and aside from Pearl Jam that overall lineup is just so much better. They STILL have a headliner to announce! And might actually replace QOTSA with someone I know! 

I'm gonna have a talk with my partner on the way to get the booster soon, already asked Ticketmanager if RW refunds are all okay now we've lost 3 big acts so waiting for that response also

Edited by BenG92

8 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

You can buy day tickets, so 300 euros (+57) to switch from RW to 4 days of MC.

AirBnB accommodation in Spain will cost the same as the pre-setup camping I got at RW. 

So yeah, you'd be paying way more than standard for MC but living in Spain for 4 days is going to be cheaper than Belgium for sure - and aside from Pearl Jam that overall lineup is just so much better. They STILL have a headliner to announce! And might actually replace QOTSA with someone I know! 

I'm gonna have a talk with my partner on the way to get the booster soon, already asked Ticketmanager if RW refunds are all okay now we've lost 3 big acts so waiting for that response also

I forgot about the day tickets, thanks! That would even be a good alternative to book something like 3 festival days + a day off in Madrid, but when I look at the poster there are always at least 4-5 bands for my taste per day...

Edited by VCF

The Saturday is not my favorite day of the festival (the best - for me - is Sunday) but I think it's great they give young bands high spot. So many complained about the too old big acts: MetallicaPearl JamRed Hot or classic stuff like The Killers. That kind of line-up (21PImagine DragonsAnne MarieManeskinYungblud, etc) is more a British thing, Reading likely stage. Greta Van Fleet is also a young act but don't understand their success (like many people don't understand Imagine Dragons success per example) but great they are high on the line-up, just too bad it's not below QOTSA anymore...

I really prefer a duo Twenty One Pilots / Imagine Dragons in 2022 than the duo Mumford And Sons / Florence And The Machine from 2018. Didn't remember so many people complain for that. 

And honestly, I doubt the line-up will stay like this. Too many countries don't give good perpective for festivals right, like Belgium. We'll see in 5 months...

3 hours ago, BenG92 said:

We're already doing Primavera as well so factoring in the bands playing there and the bands I wouldn't lose at MC, if I switched RW for MC, I personally would:

Gain: Muse, Jack White, potentially get QOTSA back, 1 blank headliner, Kings of Leon, Florence + Machine, Deftones, Placebo, Chvrches, Animal Collective, Editors, Princess Nokia, Frank Carter, Foals, London Grammar, Sigrid, Floating Points, Glass Animals, Stephan Bodzin

That seems crazy not to do now that I think about it. The loss of FNM, The Streets and QOTSA was real kick in the nuts for me

I‘d expect QOTSA to drop out of Mad Cool as well. If it isn‘t for Graspop (unlikely) I‘d be surprised if they only skip Werchter but keep the rest.

At least I know which day I'm gonna be hammered and not mind the music too much..., so RW at least should manage to bring me some sun on Saturday 😉

Must say this was really underwhelming, although a few bands that had potential after the first listening. Out of 64 names, it's really only Gang of Youths, The Last Internationale and Jimmy Eat World that slightly made me happy. I managed to drag a group og 10+ people with me this year, and I might have done some overselling when this is the final turnout. Luckily it started quite well, so it's not a complete plane crash, but I doubt that this will be the final version. I still suspect that more major bands will pull out, despite Europe opening up, and if all of them are going to be replaced by the likes of Anne-Marie, this can be a heavy turn..

Anyway... I guess we should be happy if we even can get a festival, even though it might be value for money as before... Let's just hope that it's because of the pandemic, and not RW entering a complete identity crisis..  

4 hours ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

rw22-lineup-280122-61f3fcc4ac91d.png

Sunday is the only day I'm actually bothered about. JEW and Modest Mouse are great additions. I've probably got 4 acts at the very max I'd bother with Thursday, Friday and Saturday but then this festival didn't look strong for me from the start bar Sunday.

3 hours ago, BenG92 said:

I'd definitely sack this of for Mad Cool.