Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

6 minutes ago, Aech said:

I reckon Stormzy would be perfect for that FNM slot, but that's mostly me hoping he isn't high up in the barn against a big headliner.

Edit: Am I right in thinking Les Ardentes and Dour have their headliners so if he's gonna play anywhere it's werchter (doesn't appear to be touring late august for pukkelpop)?

There are still spot available for him at Les Ardentes I think. Like on Sunday, they have Stromae (headliner) + Asap Rocky + Orelsan. PNL on Friday could be the headliner but he's only 5th name on the website. And they don't have a proper headliner for Thursday yet.

About DourAngele is headliner for sure. But for the rest... so many acts I don't even know they existed!

Hopefully we'll have some names for Rock Werchter this month...

Tell me if I'm going mad here - Biffy Clyro? They're not exactly massive in Belgium, not playing there yet next year but have dates across Europe in concert hall size venues. 

We also now know Paramore are active this year although literally 1 date so far, so probably a one-off

Edited by BenG92

4 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Tell me if I'm going mad here - Biffy Clyro? They're not exactly massive in Belgium, not playing there yet next year but have dates across Europe in concert hall size venues. 

We also now know Paramore are active this year although literally 1 date so far, so probably a one-off

Biffy would have been great, but as far as I've understood from previous discussions, they demand too much considering their popularity in Belgium. Hope RW reconsider though, given that they are European and I'm sure they can't be less popular than Greta van Fleet was as a second head last year.

49 minutes ago, tmolvik said:

Biffy can't be less popular than Greta van Fleet

One thing I learned from going to international festivals during years is that my perception on something is not World's perception.
In this moment, with last Biffy's album released in October and last GVF in April:

Spotify
GVF 3.3M monthly listeners, 1.9 M followers
Biffy 1.6M monthly listeners, 600k followers 

Instagram
GVF 1+M followers
Biffy 200k followers

Youtube
GVF last videoclip 7.5M views
Biffy last videoclip 500k views

I honestly don't understand all this hype around Greta Van Fleet but here in Italy they're a lot more popular than Biffy Clyro.

Edited by gigi21

2 minutes ago, gigi21 said:

One thing I learned from going to international festivals during years is that perception on something is not World's perception.
In this moment, with last Biffy's album released in October and last GVF in April:

Spotify

Instagram
GVF 1+M followers
Biffy 200k followers

Youtube

Right now that's probably true in terms of level of popularity, but I doubt that GvF was that popular almost three years ago. They were quite new and unknown in most parts of the world as far as I remember, so my point was rather that giving BC a higher spot this year (given all uncertainty for artists from other continents), can't be more "controversial" than GvF.

In general though, I'm wary of using SoMe or Spotify numbers as an indication of audience attractivenes, as newer artist often use that to a much larger degree, but also might have arised from it. For instance does Bruce Springsteen have almost the same number of IG-followers as GvF and 171k views on his last YouTube-video, but I'm still quite sure he would sell more tickets..

• Upvote 1

After doing a fair amount of overtime in recent weeks, I've found myself with a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket. I quite fancy coming to RW from the UK but don't know much re: infrastructure etc.

Thinking of getting Eurostar to Brussels. Are there then busses or trains to Werchter? 

Wife and I aren't spring chickens (late 40s). Are we going to stand out like a sore thumb?

Re: above statement, are there quieter areas to camp that aren't too rowdy?

What are the vouchers on sale? Do you need to buy them or can you use cash/card?

What are prices like for food / drink? Burger and pint cost examples?

Anything else we need to know? TIA. 

Edited by swelsbyuk

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

After doing a fair amount of overtime in recent weeks, I've found myself with a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket. I quite fancy coming to RW from the UK but don't know much re: infrastructure etc.

Thinking of getting Eurostar to Brussels. Are there then busses or trains to Werchter? 

Wife and I aren't spring chickens (late 40s). Are we going to stand out like a sore thumb?

What are the vouchers on sale? Do you need to buy them or can you use cash/card?

You will need to get train to leuven, then shuttle bus to festival site. Its all free once you get to Brussels.

You will be fine with your age, it's quite a big mix of ages and ple ty of us oldies.

Campsites are not really rowdy anyway, it's very chilled. Not everyone likes the chilled out crowd at werchter, buy it's one of the big positives.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gigi21 said:

One thing I learned from going to international festivals during years is that my perception on something is not World's perception.

Spotify

Instagram
GVF 1+M followers
Biffy 200k followers

Youtube

I honestly don't understand all this hype around Greta Van Fleet but here in Italy they're a lot more popular than Biffy Clyro.

'cause GVF they look like Maneskin sooo .. 😉

5 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

If you feel like standing out like a sore thumb, we'll give you guys "shelter" as we're 10+ in our +40's. It will be my first festival in my 40's, but I've never had that feeling at RW before at least, which is also one of the reasons why I like it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gigi21 said:

You have to factor in that GVF are from the US and have a market of many more millions of people. In Europe there are more diverse kinds of Rock and Indie music that aren't as popular in other parts of the world. Refer to what is popular in Spain, France, Italy etc. 

The stats are 'real' figures but RW bands are chosen to fit a certain demographic regardless of stats.

I think we might get more than 6 if we get anything today. Basing that purely on the fact that for the first announcement in 2020 they gave 12 names (admittedly they only had 5 or 6 names for the festival at that point) 

But then they did drop a batch of 16 names in November for this year so maybe they’ll scale it back a touch?

Either way I would quite like to see LG, Fontaines DC, Black Pumas, Biffy Clyro and (if it is at all possible) Franz Ferdinand (who I’ve noticed have a couple of festival dates around the festival now.) Appreciate they still have a date to sell in Belgium but I always love their live shows

20 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

With there being lots of rock on the lineup already, I'm hoping for some indie/soul/hip hop/pop to be added to the lineup.

Little Simz, Lorde, Stormzy, Big Thief, Wilco, Kae Tempest, St Vincent,... 

Such a shame about Brockhampton. I know they played 2019 but it would have been great to see them back.

Would love to see an Earl Sweatshirt, Denzel Curry, Blu, Freddy Gibbs or JPEGMafia spot. 

20 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

Concerning the age you don't need to worry. I've seen all ages between 10 - 70 represented there. I'm 42 myself. 

3 hours ago, BenG92 said:

I'm still saying Biffy Clyro are a shout to replace Faith No More but Liam Gallagher is more likely. 

Biffy Clyro can come open the main if they want. 3rd highest spot on the main would make absolutely zero sense in Belgium and specifically on Rock Werchter. 

• Upvote 1