Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

On 1/7/2022 at 1:14 AM, Floyd_Ams said:

In other news..."The Smile" are becoming more and more active. Their debut album is at the track-listing stage and a launch concert is announced for the end of January. So if we are to see Thom Yorke at RW this year (and I think we will) in any form, it looks like this will be the one. 

Another band that will be touring in the summer and would be a perfect fit for RW (@The Barn) is Madrugada. I really hope the the bookers have their eyes on them.

It seems the release of their album would coincide very well with festival dates. The punky sound would fit very nice in the Barn. It's basically a chance to hear (at least in part) the Radiohead sound from the 1990s!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Granny-Smith said:

When will we get new names for RW 2022?

I hope for Idles, Little Simz, Fountaines D.C., King Gizzard, Black Midi and Parquet Courts in the next announcement 🙃

If my memory serves me right (and if Covid isn’t a worry for them) we should be looking at next Friday. 

For reasons I can’t quite remember they’ve begun announcing the bands the 3rd Friday in January for certainly the past 3 festivals. I think it’s to do with a national holiday one week and everybody going back to work/school the week after. That might be wrong but I know someone explained why they typically wait until that week but I wouldn’t expect anything until then at the earliest. (Always happy to be proven wrong when it comes to earlier announcements though)

15 minutes ago, Granny-Smith said:

When will we get new names for RW 2022?

I hope for Idles, Little Simz, Fountaines D.C., King Gizzard, Black Midi and Parquet Courts in the next announcement 🙃

Seeing each and every one at Primavera but I'd do it again weeks later 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken19 said:

Don’t shoot me if not, normally next week they will start again. 

Thanks for the update!

Can you share what is the general attitude towards festival season in the industry right now? Is it much better than last year?

• Upvote 2

Was thinking about this before, obviously they now need a replacement for FNM. Do we think if the Springsteen day is truly finished that Jack White could be a replacement for them?

3rd down might be a touch too low for him, I was just trying to think of suitable people to fill the gap

47 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Was thinking about this before, obviously they now need a replacement for FNM. Do we think if the Springsteen day is truly finished that Jack White could be a replacement for them?

3rd down might be a touch too low for him, I was just trying to think of suitable people to fill the gap

Already has a show announced in July in Brussels. So ruled out.

58 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Too low, Jack is a headliner. Liam Gallagher is more that level for a non-UK festival. Bush maybe. Placebo would be perfect but they're not available. 

3 hours ago, Jefferke said:

Already has a show announced in July in Brussels. So ruled out.

Ah I did not realise this, apologies 

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Too low, Jack is a headliner. Liam Gallagher is more that level for a non-UK festival. Bush maybe. Placebo would be perfect but they're not available. 

Yeah I remember before the great eFests black out there some sort of suggestion that LG would be 3rd down on the Friday. Might have that wrong though, and I agree he would be ideal for that slot on the Saturday now.

I would argue that’s too big a slot for Bush looking at their placements around Europe, and Placebo would have been a dream but as you say they’re ruled out for numerous reasons. Was proper gutted when they moved them to TW Classic

40 minutes ago, VCF said:

Wolf Alice opening for Harry Styles in July with an Antwerp date on the 7th. There is still a gap for Werchter on Sat/Sun but I can't see them playing Belgium twice in 4 days?

A real shame given they also had to postpone their EU tour to November. 

Always an interesting name for us, but they can choose between RW/Dour/Cactus/Pkp

I reckon Stormzy would be perfect for that FNM slot, but that's mostly me hoping he isn't high up in the barn against a big headliner.

Edit: Am I right in thinking Les Ardentes and Dour have their headliners so if he's gonna play anywhere it's werchter (doesn't appear to be touring late august for pukkelpop)?

Edited by Aech