Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

7 minutes ago, heti said:

Is this for real? Artists already pulling out of summer 2022 ? That would be a devastating blow. I can't let myself even think about that shit over and over again 

Absolutely nothing has been confirmed about RATM at this time.

Inforoo forums are having a meltdown about a Coachella lineup that hasn't even dropped yet based on one guy who's been right and wrong about stuff in the past and is saying that RATM's entire tour is being postponed. 

• Upvote 1

I don‘t get it either especially as the recent Omicron news is rather good if you look behind the huge case numbers and what they actually mean.

Science is drawing a rather optimistic picture for the summer. Politics not so much (yet), but dropping out of summer tours seems to be premature indeed.

2 minutes ago, Aech said:

Until people don't have to self isolate if they get covid in all these countries then this now far more infectious but far less dangerous disease is only gonna cause more havoc for artists, you can see why they won't risk it.

This ↑

Rage mentioned several times that they will tour when it will be 100% safe for them and their fans. I really wouldn't be surprised if they postponed again...

I'll never not find it funny when people think RATM are anything but a band who make music for money

Imagine paying 110 + shipping for a ticket only to be shocked that the band wants to sell their catalogue for profit and only play shows when they can sell tickets. The horror

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aech said:

Until people don't have to self isolate if they get covid in all these countries then this now far more infectious but far less dangerous disease is only gonna cause more havoc for artists, you can see why they won't risk it.

Correct. When you consider all the guidlines, restrictions and regulations that bands have to operate under now, it's very risky. You also need staff, so if your band/production crew or other associated suddenly have to self isolate for 10 days, how are you going to carry out a line of concerts? Also as far as I know, in the US (and probably also in Europe), the insurance won't cover shutdowns. Therefore the financial risks of carrying out a tour is huge, and especially for the bigger bands with big productions and world tours. Unfortunately I would therefore expect more cancellations and I don't think RW will be unaffected...

I still believe that it will be possible to arrange live concerts during the summer unless we get even further through the greek alphabet, but I doubt it will be with many major US headliner. Especially not those that are part of a larger tour and/or have big productions. 

52 minutes ago, foofajter said:

Only and most important difference is that USA have concerts, nba, nhl, mlb games, while Europe don't have a shit.

And there is a traditional saying that American are dumb and stupid. No, they are not, European notUnion and their citizens are dumbest people in the universe. Drop dead from covid you stupid european people

If you hate European people so much, don't waste your time speaking with them 🙂

Honestly, I still have hope for shows/festivals this Summer. For the period January-February-March, it seems dead unfortunately...

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, foofajter said:

Only and most important difference is that USA have concerts, nba, nhl, mlb games, while Europe don't have a shit.

I think you will find that Europe has plenty of sports ongoing. 

The USA is one single country, Europe is many countries, each with different rules and regulations around Covid which makes touring very difficult.

People can be "dumb and stupid" regardless of where they are from. It appears you are a good example of this. 

3 minutes ago, foofajter said:

But concerts and sports with full capacity are allowed in all states!!!

In fuckin Germany you can't go to a football match even if you have a 7 doses of Pfizer in your ass

As of right now... It's getting closer to you as well, and capasity at Raptors-games in NBA are now limited to 1000, so we'll see.. 

I think the FoxNews-forums are a better place for you though, as I can't really see how you wish to contribute here. This is a European festival forum and if Europe is annoying you so much, I'm sure there are something for you in the US..

3 minutes ago, foofajter said:

But concerts and sports with full capacity are allowed in all states!!!

In fuckin Germany you can't go to a football match even if you have a 7 doses of Pfizer in your ass

Time will tell if either way of dealing with it is the right one. In the UK, everything has been open and today we broke the 200,000 cases per day mark. Pretty serious for a country of our size. There's obviously been a lot disruption to our daily lives, we've all been affected, I've literally just had a gig cancelled in January within the last hour and there'll be more to come, no doubt. I still don't think any country has the answers, let's hope if restrictions are in place this winter, it frees us up in the summer. I get your frustration but I don't think any nation can say they've handled this situation perfectly

9 minutes ago, Beffrey Jezos said:

Any idea when the next announcement is likely to be? 

Don't think it'll be soon with Omicron. Really hope the festival will be not cancel again but I think they'll announce there'll be no festival in 2022 in March like last year. Maybe in 2023 It'll be better.

In their last announcement, Werchter said new names will come early this year. But "early" and "soon" don't have the same meaning in music world than in the rest of the world! In Belgium, the government has a new meeting on Thursday morning and another one in the next 2 weeks. Festivals are asking for a global plan this month so we'll see what happens. If RW or other festivals are waiting news around Omicron, we won't have new names before the end of the month. And I guess tickets are selling good enough to wait.

2 hours ago, Beffrey Jezos said:

Any idea when the next announcement is likely to be? 

I think it depends a bit if they have found a replacement for Faith No More and The Streets. But I think they might announce Liam Gallagher, Wolf Alice and the Smile (Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood).

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, P.bintein said:

Maybe in 2023 It'll be better.

2023 will be the same as 2022. 😉 There will be (a couple) of variants every year, which is perfectly normal. We’ve all been vaccinated twice and got a booster by the time winter ends. What more can you do?

If it doesn’t go ahead in 22, it won’t in 23 or 24. Which is why I’m pretty confident.

Edited by lighthouse
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

2023 will be the same as 2022. 😉 There will be (a couple) of variants every year, which is perfectly normal. We’ve all been vaccinated twice and got a booster by the time winter ends. What more can you do?

If it doesn’t go ahead in 22, it won’t in 23 or 24. Which is why I’m pretty confident.

Yes, there'll be variant every year and I think every year will be the same situation. The different government will have no other solution to close everything the time we found a new vax.

I ask myself if the music industry will exist in a few year after all cancellation.

I know it's not the COVID thread but now we know all US band will cancel their tour 2022, the EU festival will have no other solution to cancel to (there's not enough EU band who can headline).

Remember that governments also enjoy money. The countries who don't excessively cancel things like festivals will find their tourism trade massively boosted and those that do the opposite will fall behind. It's in the government's best interest to get this stuff up and running again, they just don't want to be seen as the guinea pigs. 

I know it's easy to imagine a depressing world where we never go to shows again but it's not a reality, it's just a matter of postponing things enough that tickets still sell. 

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Remember that governments also enjoy money. The countries who don't excessively cancel things like festivals will find their tourism trade massively boosted and those that do the opposite will fall behind. It's in the government's best interest to get this stuff up and running again, they just don't want to be seen as the guinea pigs. 

Also, let's remember that there were festivals in some countries in 2021, when vaccination numbers were much lower that now (let alone summer 2022).

I think the only real problem is indeed big acts with a lot of staff and huge production costs pulling out due to uncertainty in winter, when they probably have to make some decisions. And the question is how big festivals (like RW or Roskilde) will handle it.

While a positive Covid test means being isolated during some days, no US big headliner will tour Europe. 

The only option nowadays for US big bands is one gig or a one week/10 days tour.

The feeling I have in Spain is that pessimism has come back to big promoters. We have 120.000 infected people per day, maximum in the pandemic and I am afraid that some huge acts are starting to consider the idea of postponing their tour to 2023. I hope that things will look totally different in February. Figers crossed!!!

Edited by johnybegood

12 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

While a positive Covid test means being isolated during some days, no US big headliner will tour Europe. 

The only option nowadays for US big bands is one gig or a one week/10 days tour.

The feeling I have in Spain is that pessimism has come back to big promoters. We have 120.000 infected people per day, maximum in the pandemic and I am afraid that some huge acts are starting to consider the idea of postponing their tour to 2023. I hope that things will look totally different in February. Figers crossed!!!

I hate that this thread has turned in yet another COVID discussion, but I have to add. Cases are very high now but will very likely be way down by March. The risk of a positive test during spring and summer might be acceptable. Decisions should be made by anticipating what‘s going on when the tour is about to start.

Massive tour announcements have been made in September and October with cases down although everybody knew a winter wave would come. Now they cancel although everybody knows summer will be different. I don‘t get this. Ok, there‘s Omicron. But all in all this variant is rather good news, as it gives immunity to a lot of people while being milder. Without Omicron the perspective for summer 2022 wouldn’t have been any different than with it. So why would you drop the ball now? Why did they announce in the first place? Just hopes and prayers?

2023 isn‘t going to be any different than 2022. Do it now or leave it forever.

28 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

How do you know that US bands are canceling European tour?

From what I've seen so far, noone cancel it, but yeah beaing negative is fucked up.

Can they just put mandatory vaccine for all of them without testing?

14 minutes ago, Festcrazy said:

How do you know that US bands are canceling European tour?

From what I've seen so far, noone cancel it, but yeah beaing negative is fucked up.

Can they just put mandatory vaccine for all of them without testing?

There's none so far but it doesn't mean there won't be one. The Streets cancelled all of their dates for next year because of Covid (including Rock Werchter) and they're not even from the US. We have to accept that some people are more cautious than the rest of us...

Edited by Newjem