Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

33 minutes ago, misterplow said:

They’re stil a contemporary festival, aren’t they.

I'm in for the treat 🙂 The Strokes for Co-headline structure with RHCP and I'm feeling happy. Give me Pixies, Rise Against, The War On Drugs , Royal Blood and Frank Turner and I'm over the moon

2 hours ago, Otto77 said:

With the Red Hot Chili Peppers as headliner they can change the name from 'Rock Werchter' to 'Back to the 80's and 90's' or 'Childhoodmemories festival'.

Please give some new acts the opportunity to become headliner.

Should they give bands oppurtunities or sell tickets to secure future festivals? Unfortunately stadium bands are a dying breed, and as I've mentioned before, I'm really unsure what the bigger festivals will be doing when they stopp touring. I'm not sure if i can name any solo headliners among bands that started up after 2010 (maybe even 2005) for a festival with a crowd of 90000. Hyped artists might manage once off concerts, but not in a long run. There a more than enough great undercards for a great festivals even if the headlingers are among the older ones.

43 minutes ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

Who ?

Two out of Tyler the Creator, Dua Lipa, Tame Impala, Bon Iver or in a co-head structure with an older act...Kendrick, Billie, Taylor if they tour...A$AP Rocky, Lorde, Jorja Smith, fka twigs, Skepta, Doja Cat as barn-heads

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MrTobs said:

Two out of Tyler the Creator, Dua Lipa, Tame Impala, Bon Iver or in a co-head structure with an older act...Kendrick, Billie, Taylor if they tour...A$AP Rocky, Lorde, Jorja Smith, fka twigs, Skepta, Doja Cat as barn-heads

Lorde and Bon Iver could be Barn headliner.  I'd think they'd fall flat on their face as main stage headliner acts. A headliner at Rock Werchter on the main stage needs this as a main ingredient: energy.

Tame Impala might be able to share co-headline status. Kendrick already booked. Billie and Taylor booked for Boutique.

Dua Lipa is here today gone tomorrow, as with 99.9% of pop artists. And those rappers would fit the Barn or Pyramid and definitely not as headliners.

If you're looking at a festival like Rock Werchter, you're also having to deal with a percentage of people who come back year after year, and not just people who come once for a festival experience. Booking a lineup that you've suggested would alienate those people and essentially have quite an impact on sales of tickets and the future of the festival. You only need to take Pukkelpop as example. They switched to catering for a younger audience, and look what happened to their ticket sales.

But, given those acts you prefer are also touring, you'd still be able to catch them, just maybe have to set your eyes on another festival.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, The Black said:

Lorde and Bon Iver could be Barn headliner.  I'd think they'd fall flat on their face as main stage headliner acts. A headliner at Rock Werchter on the main stage needs this as a main ingredient: energy.

Tame Impala might be able to share co-headline status. Kendrick already booked. Billie and Taylor booked for Boutique.

Dua Lipa is here today gone tomorrow, as with 99.9% of pop artists. And those rappers would fit the Barn or Pyramid and definitely not as headliners.

If you're looking at a festival like Rock Werchter, you're also having to deal with a percentage of people who come back year after year, and not just people who come once for a festival experience. Booking a lineup that you've suggested would alienate those people and essentially have quite an impact on sales of tickets and the future of the festival. You only need to take Pukkelpop as example. They switched to catering for a younger audience, and look what happened to their ticket sales.

But, given those acts you prefer are also touring, you'd still be able to catch them, just maybe have to set your eyes on another festival.

I agree with most of what you said, still I think it would be good for Werchter to book some of those acts at least on one day of the festival to attract new people, like they did last year with Kendrick and 21 Pilots on the saturday. Metallica, RHCP, Pearl Jam would sell way more tickets than the acts I mentioned, no doubt, but I think mostly to people that are already coming to Werchter regulary and that are slightly older.

I'm not an expert at all, I just have the feeling that it makes sense to mix it up to ensure that your festival is attractive to younger people too (the people they need in the future, when acts like Pearl Jam aren't touring anymore and most of their fans are too old to go to festivals).

But I also get, that they have to sell tickets now, so they book the acts, that sell the most. It's a difficult decision sometimes, I guess...

18 minutes ago, MrTobs said:

I agree with most of what you said, still I think it would be good for Werchter to book some of those acts at least on one day of the festival to attract new people, like they did last year with Kendrick and 21 Pilots on the saturday. Metallica, RHCP, Pearl Jam would sell way more tickets than the acts I mentioned, no doubt, but I think mostly to people that are already coming to Werchter regulary and that are slightly older.

I'm not an expert at all, I just have the feeling that it makes sense to mix it up to ensure that your festival is attractive to younger people too (the people they need in the future, when acts like Pearl Jam aren't touring anymore and most of their fans are too old to go to festivals).

But I also get, that they have to sell tickets now, so they book the acts, that sell the most. It's a difficult decision sometimes, I guess...

I agree with you too. A balance is great, and I honestly feel (personal opinion) the bookings for Rock Werchter are done quite well in that perspective. Sure the headliners aren't as progressive as you proposed, but there's always a new undercard. Also, other festivals want headliners too, so have the opportunity to offer slots you propose, I.e. Kendrick are Les Ardentes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Black said:

Bon Iver is a festival headliner nowadays. Sportpaleis level. In 2019 they headlined Mad Cool. Don't think they would still play a tent, big as it is. Apart from The Strokes, Bon Iver is one of the big acts they never seemed to be able to book. I think it's high on their bucketlist. 

3 hours ago, The Black said:

I agree with you too. A balance is great, and I honestly feel (personal opinion) the bookings for Rock Werchter are done quite well in that perspective. Sure the headliners aren't as progressive as you proposed, but there's always a new undercard. Also, other festivals want headliners too, so have the opportunity to offer slots you propose, I.e. Kendrick are Les Ardentes.

Yeah, you're right, in terms of the undercard they usually do a great job in putting together acts for everyone. The decisive factor for most of the people to buy tickets are the headliners tho. (at least outside of music-forums haha)

15 hours ago, MrTobs said:

The ideal festival for you is not the Rock Werchter, the ideal Festival for you is the Werchter boutique.

35 minutes ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

The ideal festival for you is not the Rock Werchter, the ideal Festival for you is the Werchter boutique.

Please not that again. I'm still complaining about Graspop lacking enough pop acts. 

Rock Werchter is not a 'rock festival', but a music festival where they cover lots of music genres. 

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, MrTobs said:

To be honest, I'd prefer RHCP instead of all those names, but then again I'm bloody old and prefer 90s music;) There will be room for newer acts as undercards of course. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, misterplow said:

Bon Iver is a festival headliner nowadays. Sportpaleis level. In 2019 they headlined Mad Cool. Don't think they would still play a tent, big as it is. Apart from The Strokes, Bon Iver is one of the big acts they never seemed to be able to book. I think it's high on their bucketlist. 

I'm quite sure that the field would be at least half empty if Bon Iver headlined. Barn headliner, yes, main stage, no. I don't care too much about the headliners as long as the undercards are good so I'm more than willing for RW to try and prove me wrong, but I don't see it happening. From all those mentioned after my post, the only one I think could have done it is Taylor Swift, but I do't know how realistic that is. I also doubt Tame Impala as a co-head but you never know... Maybe they're more popular in those parts of Europe than I know.

8 hours ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

But that has a bigger tendency to Rock ...

What I had in my mind was something like:

Thu: Pearl Jam-Pixies         barn: A$AP Rocky

Fri: RHCP-Tame Impala       barn: Lorde

Sat: Kendrick-21 Pilots        barn: Faith no More

Sun: Metallica-Volbeat        barn: Thom Yorke and girl in red/Cavetown in the Slope (like 2020) as young acts

So three rock-days on the main stage and one in the barn. And I think in this scenario Tame Impala would have a decent crowd too. RHCP and Tame Impala have at least some crossover in their fanbase and Kendrick/A$AP Rocky/TameIm/21 P/Lorde would be really decent for most of my friends (I'm 19). Don't know if it's realistic though...

8 hours ago, MrTobs said:

What I had in my mind was something like:

Thu: Pearl Jam-Pixies         barn: A$AP Rocky

Fri: RHCP-Tame Impala       barn: Lorde

Sat: Kendrick-21 Pilots        barn: Faith no More

Sun: Metallica-Volbeat        barn: Thom Yorke and girl in red/Cavetown in the Slope (like 2020) as young acts

So three rock-days on the main stage and one in the barn. And I think in this scenario Tame Impala would have a decent crowd too. RHCP and Tame Impala have at least some crossover in their fanbase and Kendrick/A$AP Rocky/TameIm/21 P/Lorde would be really decent for most of my friends (I'm 19). Don't know if it's realistic though...

I don't see FNM playing the Barn, but other than that it's not individually unrealistic as far as I can tell. 

31 minutes ago, tmolvik said:

I don't see FNM playing the Barn, but other than that it's not individually unrealistic as far as I can tell. 

Yeah, probably not. But they had Nine Inch Nails in the barn 2018, so maybe they could convince them to do it. I always thought they looked a bit misplaced on the 2020-poster as third down on the main stage between Anderson Paak and 21P/Kendrick.

32 minutes ago, MrTobs said:

Yeah, probably not. But they had Nine Inch Nails in the barn 2018, so maybe they could convince them to do it. I always thought they looked a bit misplaced on the 2020-poster as third down on the main stage between Anderson Paak and 21P/Kendrick.

Paak, Faith No More and Kendrick Lamar on the same day was always going to be to good to be true. 😞 

Wouldn't surprise me to see FNM in the Barn. Pixies and NIN both did. Mike Patton famously doesn't like big festivals and prefers intimate indoor gigs. I'm an enormous FNM fan (they were the first band I ever saw live, back in 1990) so if they were to play in the tent I'd be over the moon. 

I thought Faith No More returned to Rock Werchter because they liked the huge crowd in 2015 that much? 😛

Before the announcement I assumed FNM could move to the friday to sub Metallica but I was wrong.

I'm a bit surprised no other early July festival like Roskilde, Open'er or Lollapalooza Stockholm announced anything last weekend just like Rock Werchter. I mean other festivals like Rock am Ring or Mad Cool have 90% of their full line up already announced....

What we know so far until now:

Roskilde: No Taylor, no Kendrick, The Strokes uncertain......only Faith No More seem to be around.

Open'er: Imagine Dragons, Twenty One Pilots, Chemical Brothers already confirmed, Taylor/Kendrick just like Roskilde, A$AP Rocky has no dates yet but The Killers are still available as well as Tyler the Creator.

Lolla Stockholm: Only Pearl Jam confirmed, no dates for Kendrick/Post Malone yet, The Killers are around

If they had Foo Fighters, Muse, Kings of Leon or Gorillaz shouldn't that be announced by now?