Rock Werchter 2022

JSmurphy

On 7/10/2021 at 1:25 PM, Mondo-kun said:

One interesting thing about Kendrick - his only (at least yet) festival appearance this year on Day N Vegas festival in November comes with a title "From Section.80 to DAMN.". I can assume there won't be an announcement of his new album before November, so probably no new tour dates until that.

But he announced his whole tour for 2020 (and 2021) without a word on the new album. Why wouldn't he do that now? It's pretty clear he's waiting to drop new music if he's going to do a proper tour. And that seems to be bushed back to 2022. 

On 7/10/2021 at 4:02 AM, pigital said:

Elton John? GNR? Is this some kind of sarcasm I’m not understanding? 

Starting to feel like the bands are not the only old thing on RW anymore. I really don’t get how you consciously could still ask for more old bands/artists. 

Either I’m too young for RW or everyone else is not open for new music on the top off the bill. But damn, GNR and Elton John when Tame Impala, Kendrick (possibly), Dua Lipa, Lorde, Tyler the Creator, Billie Eilish and more are touring just totally blows my mind.

You do understand there are only 4 bands on the bill already, right? The reality is that they don't want to pay ridiculous sums to bands they don't think represent the RW festival theme. The name has "ROCK" in it, if they went to Megan Thee Stallion/Kendrick/etc as their main headliners, the festival might sell the same number of tickets and completely lose its historical stature.

There will be PLENTY of youth-facing acts in the 4 day lineup. There will be rappers, dance acts, pop bands... and more old people with guitars. There are literally HUNDREDS of festivals with 3/4 of the headliners being people who were in high school in 2015, that doesn't need to be EVERY festival.

RW will be packed with folks who want to see this lineup.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SonicSleuth said:

You do understand there are only 4 bands on the bill already, right? The reality is that they don't want to pay ridiculous sums to bands they don't think represent the RW festival theme. The name has "ROCK" in it, if they went to Megan Thee Stallion/Kendrick/etc as their main headliners, the festival might sell the same number of tickets and completely lose its historical stature.

There will be PLENTY of youth-facing acts in the 4 day lineup. There will be rappers, dance acts, pop bands... and more old people with guitars. There are literally HUNDREDS of festivals with 3/4 of the headliners being people who were in high school in 2015, that doesn't need to be EVERY festival.

I do not know how the festivals in Belgium work and how many there are , here in Portugal there are many festivals from North to South and for example :

NOS Alive : Rock and POP
( 2019 example : The Cure, Gossip , The Smashing Pumpkins ...)

Super Bock Super Rock : Rock, POP and HIP HOP
( 2019 example : Lana Del Rey, The 1975, Migos ...)

Sudoeste : HIP HOP, COMMERCIAL AND ELECTRONIC
( 2019 example : Post Malone , Anitta , Timmy Trumpet ... )

Paredes de Coura : New generations of bands and Rock
( 2019 example : Parcels , Jonathan Wilson , New Order , Patti Smith, Father John Misty .....)

Festival Vilar de Mouros : old rock bands
( 2019 example : The Cult , Manic Street Preachers , The Offspring , Skunk Anansie , Prophets of Rage , Gogol Bordello ... )

This still lacks Rock in Rio , EDP Cool Jazz , North Music Festival , MEO Mares Vivas , all this to tell you that those who go to Paredes de Coura , for example , will not go Sudoeste .
Each person goes to the festival that is their musical taste , NOS Alive when it announced for 2020 billie eilish and taylor swift got the biggest critics ever .

19 hours ago, SonicSleuth said:

Geez, totally missing the point. I’ve been going to RW for over 10 years now and go because of the fact it was always so diverse and not “because the name says rock”. Going from stage to stage and ending up at the main with a nice and different closer of the day. 

Just said that with the names already announced, the names at Primavera and Mad Cool, Werchter should stay diverse and go for other headliners than GNR and Elton John to also give big names to another audience that they also cater too. Tame Impala, Jamie XX, Flume, Jorja Smith, Disclosure, Tyler The Creator, Lorde, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa, Kendrick and many more can and are clearly able to take these spots worldwide.

Rock Werchter is a festival that showcases relevant mainstream music from now and the past across generations and genres. And it won’t lose it in the next years because their booking is (mostly) spot on. I just really really don’t understand why we want more of the same old when music is so diverse nowadays. So yes. My place is at RW and I’ll for sure stand for that diverse festival it is and will be in the future. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jefferke said:

9 out of 10 Bandsintown? Which is not a source for information, they just assume dates.

I'm curious if these 5 bands are going to be right.
I follow Cigarettes After Sex a lot, before they were announced in Primavera, in Bandsintown they didn't have any dates, now there's Primavera and RW.

bands.JPG

2 hours ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

I'm curious if these 5 bands are going to be right.
I follow Cigarettes After Sex a lot, before they were announced in Primavera, in Bandsintown they didn't have any dates, now there's Primavera and RW.

bands.JPG

I don't trust that site at all, but at the same time, all of them seem viable.. Lumineers as well for that matter..

2 hours ago, Karlos12345 said:

The silence is irritating me. And the lack of acts on Sunday even more so.

I think the silence will go on for a while given the flood death toll in Belgium. @Ken19 stated once they don't announce while the atmosphere is shitty

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, heti said:

we might not miss this bullet ;/

They could still play at TW Classic or Werchter Boutique like The Killers were on the TW line-up with Makka in 2020... but I'd really enjoy a duo RHCP / Imagine Dragons at Rock Werchter 🙂