Album Club - Week 7

EighteenSixty7

Album Club Week 7 - What are your ratings?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Album 1

2. 2. Album 2

Album 1

Gqqg0ll.jpg

Album
Ison by Sevdaliza

Tracklist
1. Shahmaran
2. Libertine
3. Marilyn Monroe
4. Hubris
5. Amandine Insensible
6. Hero
7. Scarlette
8. Bluecid
9. Loves Way
10. Human
11. Do You Feel Real
12. The Language of Limbo
13. Replaceable
14. Grace
15. When I Reside
16. Angel
17. Hear My Pain Heal

Picked by

@ghandi

"I was a great fan of the trip hop era, particularly ' Portishead', that whole Bristol scene was amazing.
When I first heard Sevdaliza it was from a backing track to a dance performance I'd seen.
I just had to know who it was. Hooked ever since. Influences from everywhere,
given her heritage. It's dark and a bit Noir, and possibly a bit long, but that's
just her, her new album is the same, but I prefer this."

Album 2

UcYVTjj.jpg

Album
Hand.Cannot.Erase by Steven Wilson

Tracklist
1. First Regret / 3 Years Older
2. Hand Cannot Erase
3. Perfect Life
4. Routine (feat. Tenet Tayeb)
5. Home Invasion / Regret #9
6. Translence
7. Ancestral
8. Happy Returns / Ascendant Here on...

Picked by

@maelzoid

"I picked this for two main reasons. Firstly, I think it is the best album released in the
last decade (the teens?) and secondly, it seems different enough in style to all
the previous albums chosen. Steven Wilson is a figure who looms large in the world of Prog Rock,
but seems to go by unnoticed outside it, described by someone as
“British Rock’s most popular artist you’ve never heard of.”

Inspired by the tragic true story of Joyce Vincent (link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Vincent),
this concept album is very much prog, but not in a noodling Yes kind of way.
There’s room for concise rock songs, gentle folk interludes, spoken word sections and at least one
creamy moog solo. I highly recommend watching the heart-breaking video for Routine (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh5mWzKlhQY)"

The Back Catalogue

Last Week

The Jukebox

Now That's What I Call eFest Album Club!

----------

Welcome to Week 7 of Album Club!

Week 8 will be up either late next Monday or Tuesday morning 🙂

• Like 1

Never heard of Sevdaliza but I do like Portishead so could be a good match

I used to be a massive Porcupine Tree fan, had every album on CD and some of them were very tricky to get hold of. Debatably my favourite band for a couple of years, been a good few years since I listened to them properly again. Never really listened to Steven Wilsons own material so this is a good reason to try it out

"
When I first heard Sevdaliza it was from a backing track to a dance performance I'd seen.
I just had to know who it was. Hooked ever since. Influences from everywhere,
given her heritage. It's dark and a bit Noir, and possibly a bit long, but that's
just her, her new album is the same, but I prefer this."

This could have been written by myself. Was hoping for a Glastonbury appearance, She was at all points west, or east (Cancelled of course) 

Steven Wilson is new on me I believe 

Very interested in the Steve Wilson one on 2 counts. 1 only heard of him this year with his latest album which I really liked and 2 I am a bit fascinated by the whole Joyce Vincent thing. My brother used to live in Wood Green and I remember being really creeped out by it when I heard the story, then I watched the Carol Morley film and found that fascinating as well. Over lockdown I have found myself thinking about it as well. Look forward to listening to it once I can pick my top 3 albums for this month!

Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase

Thoughts:

This is why i readily signed up to this thread! Love hearing new stuff that otherwise would have escaped me. Many thanks to @mailzoid for putting this up. 

During the late 70s in my 6th form common room, Genesis, Yes, Floyd, Camel and the likes were the music of choice and this made me into a prog lover, one of the many genre changing periods. I have never heard of Steven Wilson and feel blessed to now have found this nugget. I love this record. Influences a plenty, obviously as the man has worked with many of the great prog bands. I can certainly get early Gabriel / Hackett Genesis ( First Regret / 3 Years olders - Watcher of the skies )  and Wakeman Yes from a lot here, also some really nice Gilmour esc guitar solos and even dare i say it some Carey style drumming. This found particularly in my favorite ( if there has to be one ) track 'Ancestral' , i even detect some Radiohead style intro beats at the beginning of this track. Much i have made of the influences but obviously the guy is a great musician / composer. 

Would i watch the live, check our more of his stuff?

Undoubtedly! i am already ploughing through his Youtube live stuff, Ancestral is amazing live! I cannot wait for all of this shit to go away so i can book tickets to see him. Approaching 60 years old, this music captures almost all the decades of music that fashioned me, its gorgeous. I will be checking out his other albums including Porcupine tree, who also escaped me. it was so sad but also rather touching to see ' Routine' played out to an empty Royal Albert Hall. A sad story by the way.

Marks out of 5

Well 5 obviously ! :)

Edited by ghandi

On 4/1/2021 at 9:45 AM, ghandi said:

Thoughts:

This is why i readily signed up to this thread! Love hearing new stuff that otherwise would have escaped me. Many thanks to @mailzoid for putting this up. 

During the late 70s in my 6th form common room, Genesis, Yes, Floyd, Camel and the likes were the music of choice and this made me into a prog lover, one of the many genre changing periods. I have never heard of Steven Wilson and feel blessed to now have found this nugget. I love this record. Influences a plenty, obviously as the man has worked with many of the great prog bands. I can certainly get early Gabriel / Hackett Genesis ( First Regret / 3 Years olders - Watcher of the skies )  and Wakeman Yes from a lot here, also some really nice Gilmour esc guitar solos and even dare i say it some Carey style drumming. This found particularly in my favorite ( if there has to be one ) track 'Ancestral' , i even detect some Radiohead style intro beats at the beginning of this track. Much i have made of the influences but obviously the guy is a great musician / composer. 

Would i watch the live, check our more of his stuff?

Undoubtedly! i am already ploughing through his Youtube live stuff, Ancestral is amazing live! I cannot wait for all of this shit to go away so i can book tickets to see him. Approaching 60 years old, this music captures almost all the decades of music that fashioned me, its gorgeous. I will be checking out his other albums including Porcupine tree, who also escaped me. it was so sad but also rather touching to see ' Routine' played out to an empty Royal Albert Hall. A sad story by the way.

Marks out of 5

Well 5 obviously ! 🙂

Wow, what a great response. So glad you’ve connected with this music in such a strong way.

Sevdaliza - Icon

I LOVED this! It has a very James Blake sound to it, especially Human and Hero which I think are my favourite songs. Really like the sparse sonics, glitchy bass and vocals. Very good shit. I will definitely be checking out her other work. I wanna listen to it more before passing proper judgement but I think this might be the my favourite album I've discovered through this. 4.5/5 

Another cool album! I really enjoyed the opener, and Home Invasion/Regret 9 the most, cool prog stuff. I've not really listened to much prog apart from In the Court of the Crimson King (which I love!) so it was nice to listen to more. It didn't really hit me the same way Sevdaliza did but I did find it pleasant all the way through, but a bit long and dense instrumentally (there's a lot going on). 3/5 

Ison by Sevdaliza

Thoughts: Not my thing at all but got on with this surprisingly well. Not something I’d actively listen to but it’d be great for chilling, background music and for travelling. 

Rating: 3

Hand.Cannot.Erase by Steven Wilson

Thoughts: Expected good things from this but I just thought it was a bit boring. Didn’t do anything for me unfortunately. 

Rating: 1

Right, sorry guys been proper slack with my listening. Notes are a bit light, been listening to the albums but had trouble getting coherent thoughts together! Will be delving a bit more into both of these two.

Ison - Sevdaliza

Yep, right in my wheelhouse this.  Very Portishead / Massive Attack, but without being too derivative.  My biggest error was struggling for time so trying to listen to this in bed, and kept dozing off! 😄 

The mark against it was that's a little too long.  Shave a few songs off and it would have been a 4, but as it stands that's a good 3/5

Hand.Cannot.Erase - Steven Wilson

This was actually a really good surprise. I knew absolutely zero about Steven Wilson or any of his projects aside from his most recent album.  Went into this expecting more like that, but it was way more proggy than I had any idea it would be.  Just had a bit of everything! Some surprisingly heavy riffs, and then some sweet sweet synths!

Really close to a 4 as well, just not quite there. Another really good 3/5

Bit late but had last week off and was rather busy

Ison - Sevdaliza

Mentioned already in the thread that love this Album. The structure her voice the style. Can't really say a bad word about it. Got to listen a few times last week. See the Portishead relation with her voice at times. So hoping she is on the the farm would be a must see for me. 

Hand.Cannot.Erase - Steven Wilson

I just could not get on with this at all. Gave a it a few goes from different points and not doing it for me. Never a prog lover though. I have past it onto my Brother who thinks it is great and will be looking more

Running late with these only listened to one of them fully and only once...

Ison - Sevdaliza

Loved it at the start, not so much at the finish. But whiny in places. I could feel my score slipping from 4 to 2 as it progressed. Probably needs a revisit but at the mo... 3

Edited by John the Moth