What Glasto artists have you met in real life?

Homer

3 hours ago, George_92 said:

Arcade Fire's Win Butler in front of me in the queue for a falafel stall in The Park at 3am, the night they headlined the pyramid. woke up next day and thought I'd dreamt it (huge AF fan) 

You dreamt it...

Win and Regine were in the queue in front of me getting a growler...

Wake Up.!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 4:00 PM, Hugh Jass said:

The Prodigy - Lovely fellas

Way back, when I was in college (early ‘90s), I worked in the ents crew. Mostly just sorting out club nights and local bands for the Friday gigs. But once a year we had the Trinity Ball and booked international acts. One year, I was looking after Bad Manners (crazy), James Taylor Quartet (very polite) and The Prodigy (ultra professional and dead sound). Anyway, prodigy weren’t on til about 4am, so they were in and out all night wandering around the ball, checking out other acts. We had these red bomber jackets sponsored by Durex.  On their way out the first time, Keith said to me, “I want that jacket man, how much?”...I explained to him that if I didn’t bring it back at the end of the night, I didn’t get paid...so he asked how much I was getting for the night (£180) and laughed and said he’d give me £50 for it...every time they came in or out, Keith would laugh and say, “I’m gettin’ that jacket man, £50!”...anyway, end of the night (about 7am), I went to finish my shift and get paid (cash in hand in those days!), and as I handed back my jacket, the lad paying me said, you’re grand, you can keep it...straight back to The Prodigy’s dressing room...”Keith, still want that jacket?...Yep, £50 though...grand, here you are...see, told you I was getting’ it!”...fast forward a few weeks, I get a call from a mate one evening telling me to turn on the tv (I think it was Top of the Tops, can’t really remember!)...and there’s Keith wearing the jacket! 

it was £50 Sterling too! 

• Upvote 16

I sang (along with the rest of my village choir) with Ric Sanders of Fairport when he was a guest performer at our Christmas concert a few years ago. Ended up next to him on stage and he was very friendly and complimentary about the choir.  Not sure what that says about his judgement!

A friend (who happened to have a bottle of Jack Daniel's on his person) bumped into Seasick Steve at Cropredy Festival.  They spent a convivial couple of hours together.

Another friend met a guy at a party when she was a student in the late 90's.  He seemed nice but she declined his invitation to watch him play drums next day with a band she'd never heard of.  Turned out the band was Coldplay. 

Sat next to Michael Eavis at an afternoon tea in the Tithe Barn in Pilton. Really nice bloke, had a nice chat about all sorts of stuff, festival and non-festival.

Also met Bjork who is exactly as you'd expect her to be.

Met Mani in Manchester Airport in the way to Optimus Alive Festival in Portugal. Good bloke. 

Met Paul McCartney on a radio phone in many moons ago.  He was very distant and his agent was a complete knob (I had to deal with him to set up the slot - he was an absolute arrogant arse both before and during the broadcast).  Oh and patronising to boot.  I know that's not Paul but if you employ someone like that, it says something about you too.  And he didn't stay for a chat or anything after either. 

I hate to say it but at a similar time, the same programme had Maggie Thatcher on and she was charming, staying for a drink with all the crew (she knocked back the whisky like nobody's business).  Not that she is a Glasto artist though.  And I still can't stand her obviously.

17 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've seen him in action. Pilton's answer to Peter Stringfellow 

Tell me about it.....Mrs P ended up on his knee at the front of the 2019 Pilton Party Auditions while Pattern Pusher were playing.  The lead singer laughed and ME asked Mrs P if that was her boyfriend, even though she's probably old enough to be his Mother. 

Edited by parsonjack
  • Like 1

I've met Thom Yorke just walking along the street in Manchester (the day we were going to see REM so assume he was there for the same reason)

I've met Guy Garvey but I think if you live in Manchester you are more unusual if you haven't met Guy Garvey

I've chatted to Mark Morriss of The Bluetones a couple of times 

I've met Michael Eavis and chatted to him at the festival

I've chatted to Clint Boon a couple of times as well. He really liked one of my dogs and gave him a cuddle. 

I've met Kae Tempest up at The Park Stage at Glastonbury. It was the day after the referendum result and I told them how despondent I was feeling and they gave me a hug. 

I'm pretty terrible with faces so may have met more and just not recognised them an example of this is I saw Peter Hook in the corporate hospitality area of the Great North Run and thought he might be related to Peter Hook because he had Hooky written on his top. It as only afterwards when I saw him on tv that I thought shit it was him. 

• Like 1

Lucky enough to be backstage at a few festivals/gigs over the last 5-7 years due to a couple of mates who formed a band that rose pretty quickly around 2014-16;

Josh Homme - met a number of times. Really funny, smart and friendly. Very charming. Tall.

Dave Grohl - thinner than you'd think. High energy.

The Pixies - friendly enough, but pretty quiet and sensible/studious from my experience. Ate lunch with them backstage.

Arcade Fire - Win & Regine's toddler offered me a half-eaten wotsit. I declined, politely. Hard to say what they were like as they were about to go onstage and headline a festival, so probably in quite an intense mood at the time.

Jack Bevan (Foals drummer) - really friendly and funny.

Chris Wolstenholme (Muse bassist) - really lovely guy. Very chatty especially when we got onto football - I ended up being the one making excuses to go off as I felt bad that he was spending so much time talking to me(!) Talked to him about the time he broke his arm playing football backstage with The Cooper Temple Clause at V Fest.

Jimmy Page - met him years ago outside HMV, he was buying loads of Zeppelin albums (said he needed them for some charity thing he was doing, and it was much easier and quicker than asking the record label to send some!) He was happy to chat to my dad and me for a while, when asked to sign a copy of the book Hammer of the Gods (includes some of the more sensationalist stories about them - red snapper, anyone?) he said I’ll sign something but I won’t sign THAT, so obviously not a fan of that particular book.

Interpol - Paul the singer was charming, Daniel the guitarist was pretty aloof and absolutely stick thin, bassist (not Carlos D but the live player they have now) was drunk and overbearing.

Edited by Mellotr0n
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Hard to say what they were like as they were about to go onstage and headline a festival, so probably in quite an intense mood at the time.

This is very true and important to remember. I hate when people meet celebrities of any kind have an interaction of less than 5 minutes and feel able to assess their character based on it. I've met or spoke to quite a few celebrities and with the exception of one whom I suspect revealed quite a lot of his character over our nearly 30 minute conversation I couldn't tell you what any of them were like. Some seemed quiet, some were friendlier but most of them were just trying to live their lives.

I had the experience of being sat in an airport lounge less than 6 feet away from Roy Keane for about an hour once. It gave me an insight into how weird a thing fame must be and how impossible it must be to behave normally. It consisted of just hearing people walking by going it's Roy Keane, it's Roy Keane and I was close enough to him that if I could hear it then so could he. I'd hate to live my life like that. I suppose if you are a more minor celebrity or one who can be happily not recognised by lots of people but occasionally meet people who do recognise you it might be easier but you never know what they have going on.  Maybe just before you met them someone in their family told them they were ill or maybe they were in a hurry and you are the 20th person who stopped them.

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2021 at 12:05 AM, Punksnotdead said:

Me & my mate sat & chatted with Shaun Ryder & Bez at the front of the sound desk in  Pittville Pumproom while watching The Weather Prophets (Happy Mondays were support band - a couple of years before they were famous). They were drinking red stripe & were off their heads - surprise surprise!

This reminds me, I vaguely know a festival promoter (get me - best not say which one) and he told me that when they played his event in about five yeas ago, Sean was completely straight whereas Bez VERY much wasn't.

However, the years have clearly taken their toll as Sean had such bad stagefright that he was refusing to go on and in the end he didn't until they gave him a vitamin injection into the buttock in the wings (this tallies with the fact that I was in the audience and recalled that they had indeed come on late!).

Edited by Homer

Not sure I have many, had breakfast with Lekkiddo Lord of Lobsters in the Green room. Lovely chap. Camped by Phil Wang as well who seemed nice enough

Mrs Q though tells stories of various bands. She and a friend when teenagers (16-17) used to turn up at venues early for sound checks with Cameras asy they were with the band and usually were let in. Often hang out with the band for the day and off to meals in some cases. No idea who she said was nice or not. She did say the Clash used to sing Hi Ho it's off to work we go when leaving the back room for the stage

On 3/27/2021 at 7:53 PM, Homer said:

Reminds me, I met the lead singer/guitarist from Yak in 2017 in Williams Green. He was next to me during Jagwar Ma.

I didn't know who he was until he told me he knew Jagwar Ma and I asked him how. He said JM are really nice guys, 'we've been hanging our eating soup all day'.. He was a really nice, chilled bloke, which was a bit jarring when I subsequently saw them live (he's a bit mental - he kept spitting straight up in the air).

I was had free tickets to a Yak gig in the basement of a pub, went along because I'd heard of them, and it was free. Ended up sat next to the band (I had no idea) and a few people had started to move downstairs, so I asked them if they knew what time Yak were coming on/ if I had time for another beer before heading down... "well we're still sat here so I'd say so" was the response.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

This is very true and important to remember. I hate when people meet celebrities of any kind have an interaction of less than 5 minutes and feel able to assess their character based on it. I've met or spoke to quite a few celebrities and with the exception of one whom I suspect revealed quite a lot of his character over our nearly 30 minute conversation I couldn't tell you what any of them were like. Some seemed quiet, some were friendlier but most of them were just trying to live their lives.

I had the experience of being sat in an airport lounge less than 6 feet away from Roy Keane for about an hour once. It gave me an insight into how weird a thing fame must be and how impossible it must be to behave normally. It consisted of just hearing people walking by going it's Roy Keane, it's Roy Keane and I was close enough to him that if I could hear it then so could he. I'd hate to live my life like that. I suppose if you are a more minor celebrity or one who can be happily not recognised by lots of people but occasionally meet people who do recognise you it might be easier but you never know what they have going on.  Maybe just before you met them someone in their family told them they were ill or maybe they were in a hurry and you are the 20th person who stopped them.

One million percent this. Have seen this first hand. As you say, unfair to judge an entire person's personality based on a 5 minute meeting.

We all have days when we are tired or bored or in a shit mood or arguing with our partner etc etc. Have also seen that - whilst some parts of touring/musical success is no doubt a lot of fun - elements of it are genuinely tough mentally.

I met Thom Yorke once, in passing. I was waiting for a train at Oxford station with my Columbian partner, and he must have been leaving the station at the same time. I remember because the moon was very bright that night.

He was walking quickly, presumably to avoid the attention he might get. At first we thought he must have been a thief, owing to his scruffy unkempt appearance. I could have sworn I knew him from somewhere but couldn’t remember. Pablo put it down to early onset amnesia. 

Still, I approached to ask if we’ve met and he shoulder barged me to the ground. I banged my head, was all limbs flailing, seeing rainbows. I thought ‘you must be kid a-ing me’. 

Then it dawned on me who it was. Tilda Swinton! I was awe struck! She could do with a shave, though. Pablo thought I was going round the bends! ‘Don’t you recognise him?’ he asked. ‘It’s Tom York!’ 

‘Honey, I’ve no idea who that is’ I said, like most people would. I quickly took a photo and put it into Google reverse image search. It was telling me Tilda was now called Thom and she was a man. I was like ‘sure, OK computer’ but Pablo was insistent.

He sauntered off laughing, which does make me doubt whether it was actually him, but does add some context to my activity in hurt/heal. The bastard.