What Glasto artists have you met in real life?

Homer

Right, I'll get the ball rolling. I'd just been to see Tim Vine in venue a distance from Bristol city centre (Bedminster). The whole crowd was out on the pavement at the same time on a Sat night and I somehow managed to flag the only cab driving past. I was sitting in it and a bloke stuck his head in the door.

Him: Can I have your cab?

Me: No

Him: I'll give you £20.

Me: ... yes. Aren't you 3D?

Robert Del Naja: Yes. (To the taxi driver): The Blue Mountain (nightclub) please.

I didn't have 3D pegged as a Tim Vine fan.

On another occasion I was walking across Bristol city centre in my lunchbreak with my colleague who was also a club promoter when he bumped into Daddy G. I politely stood to the side while they were chatting when Daddy G looks at me and says 'what the fuck do you want?' Me: 'Er, I'm just waiting for Simon.' I think he may have smoked too much weed in his time.

I've never met Mushroom (as far as I know anyway; I don't know what he looks like).

Jarvis Cocker, and Chris frantz and Tina Weymouth, tomtomcclubub. All at a tom tom club show in Camden. Jarvis was there to see them. Also david Byrne at a small festivalsin Bracknell about twenty years ago he was playing. The stage manager was Simon Glyn who used to run jazzworld who I knew and he made the introduction. So that's three of talking heads I've never met Jerry.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Jarvis Cocker, and Chris frantz and Tina Weymouth, tomtomcclubub. All at a tom tom club show in Camden. Jarvis was there to see them. Also david Byrne at a small festivalsin Bracknell about twenty years ago he was playing. The stage manager was Simon Glyn who used to run jazzworld who I knew and he made the introduction. So that's three of talking heads I've never met Jerry.

How fitting that you met them separately! (Am I right in thinking Talking Heads fell out?)

Didn't speak to him but saw Jarvis in Gare Du Nord station in Paris once with his kid. He had his back to me but I still recognised him immediately (lanky and was obvs wearing a corduroy suit).

Just now, funkychick2007 said:

Micheal Eavis many a time! Does tht count!! One particular time had a whole conversation about having my ashes put under the pyramid!!! He said yes!! 👍🏻The rest of the conversation was the local village gossip!!! He's deffo a farmer first!! 

Ha - Michael Eavis is of course the winning answer! Did you know him to stop him or just accost him in the village? My mate used to work for the festival. When she sees him out and about he still refers to her as his daughter - so apparently he is a really nice bloke in real life.

Never met ME - but I was working in the Bristol Evening Post building once and I heard a distinctive laugh. Looked around and he was regaling a group of people (doing promo, I guess).

@Homer a little bit of both!! Being local he's around quite a bit in different places!! Quite often the farm suppliers Mole Valley!! The conversation with him was at a question and answer session in the village and he stayed for coffee and a chat afterwards!! Depends what he's doing sometimes it seems rude to interrupt when he's having an evening stroll along the beach!! Friendly genuine chap!! 

Few years back I was visiting friends in Manchester and literally about a minute after leaving Piccadilly station we spotted Mani from the Stone Roses outside a bar. Ended up chatting to him for a few minutes and he was happy for us to take pictures with him. He seemed quite drunk for a weekday early afternoon, but was still a pretty sound bloke

20 minutes ago, Chazwozza said:

I once met Kevin Rowlands mum, off Dexys Midnight Runners, next day my other half meet Suzi Quattro.  We were in WA near Perth at the time.  So were  they.  Obvs...

Ooh, I like this new tangent! Okay, I went on a date with a girl a few years ago who went to uni with Chris Martin. She said he was a bit weird - used to randomly disappear from the pub for an hour or so and then when they asked where he'd been say 'I went for a walk by myself by the river' - and the big joke (somewhat ironically) was that he was so bad at pulling.

And I think my wife's mum knows Lorde's mum or something (it's a kiwi thing).

Edited by Homer

Met ME a couple of times at the festival. Have a great story but this is not really the place.

Met Keith Richards at work many years ago. Had a conversation about guitar playing. With Keith Richards. How fucking cool is that. Got an autograph with my name and "One Love" written which I have misplaced somewhere. Gutted that I didn't think to get a polaroid as we had one nearby (this was pre selfie era).

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, again through work. I have a nice personally drawn colour cartoon caricature and autograph. He was wearing pyjamas. The Smart Dressed Man.

Have met Florence (and The Machine). A bit stuck up and public school attitude she was.

Lauren Hill and The 'Fugees a couple of times.

Roni Size, who was cross that I had only heard of New Forms, ("That was Twenty years ago mate").

Fun Lovin' Criminals a couple of times.

Ziggy Marley.

Kris Kristofferson a couple of times. Too frail to get off off of his bus last time.

One year whilst at the festival I missed Noel Gallagher and Debbie Harry/Blondie coming through work (though Noel wasn't playing that year). Well pissed off about that. DH was my boyhood pin up.

Probably more I've forgotten than can remember. We deal(t) with a lot of Beat The Street tour buses and the like, especially during festival season. They're usually a right pain in the arse band busses. Never ready or prepared to deal with us (but then we do tend to get them at stupid o'clock in the morning after they've just done a gig). Given the past year, I would really love to see them return at the moment, despite them generally being a right work up.

Probably going to dry up a bit with the new Brexit touring paperwork reality.

Hobo Jones and Chas & Dave have played tiny local pubs a couple of times.

4 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

The drummer from Idles in a pub pre-gig. Except I didn’t know it was him until later when they came on stage, his mum was a lovely lady though.

Reminds me, I met the lead singer/guitarist from Yak in 2017 in Williams Green. He was next to me during Jagwar Ma.

I didn't know who he was until he told me he knew Jagwar Ma and I asked him how. He said JM are really nice guys, 'we've been hanging our eating soup all day'.. He was a really nice, chilled bloke, which was a bit jarring when I subsequently saw them live (he's a bit mental - he kept spitting straight up in the air).

5 hours ago, Homer said:

Right, I'll get the ball rolling. I'd just been to see Tim Vine in venue a distance from Bristol city centre (Bedminster). The whole crowd was out on the pavement at the same time on a Sat night and I somehow managed to flag the only cab driving past. I was sitting in it and a bloke stuck his head in the door.

Him: Can I have your cab?

Me: No

Him: I'll give you £20.

Me: ... yes. Aren't you 3D?

Robert Del Naja: Yes. (To the taxi driver): The Blue Mountain (nightclub) please.

I didn't have 3D pegged as a Tim Vine fan.

On another occasion I was walking across Bristol city centre in my lunchbreak with my colleague who was also a club promoter when he bumped into Daddy G. I politely stood to the side while they were chatting when Daddy G looks at me and says 'what the fuck do you want?' Me: 'Er, I'm just waiting for Simon.' I think he may have smoked too much weed in his time.

I've never met Mushroom (as far as I know anyway; I don't know what he looks like).

Massive Attack are on my shitlist ever since MadCool and this does absolutely nothing to redeem them. What kind of twat tries to buy a cab off someone else? FFS, I would have kept upping the price until he gave up...