Album of the Month Tournament - March 2021

anditmakesmesmile

1. Black Honey - Written and Directed

2. Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark

3. Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club

Wasn't aware of Arab Strap before this album so did my usual Google search that I do with most artists that are new to me - I wouldn't advise doing an image search on a work laptop as I did!

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not listened to this yet.  I presumed it was a bit of a Daighyer of Cloud-style ragbag of demos and offcuts.....?

It sounds that way on a first flick through the opening 30 secs of each song type listen. It settles down after a few listens and is much better than White Relic and UR Fun. There's some misses in there - won't be listening to the Pinky & Perky homage of Drowner's teArs ever again for example. Overall it's exactly what you imagine the sound of Kevin's apartment in lockdown to be so for that alone it made my top 3.

Edited by Fingerbobs
Crap lingo

14 hours ago, Fingerbobs said:

It sounds that way on a first flick through the opening 30 secs of each song type listen. It settles down after a few listens and is much better than White Relic and UR Fun. There's some misses in there - won't be listening to the Pinky & Perky homage of Drowner's teArs ever again for example. Overall it's exactly what you imagine the sound of Kevin's apartment in lockdown to be so for that alone it made my top 3.

Ok thanks. Will give it a punt (though I really liked UR Fun)

The Polyvinyl UK store has had a few of the special editions in on wax so nabbed Satanic Panic, Sunlandic Twins and Hissing Fauna.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:52 PM, Baggins7 said:

3. Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club

Wasn't aware of Arab Strap before this album so did my usual Google search that I do with most artists that are new to me - I wouldn't advise doing an image search on a work laptop as I did!

This is my top three too. 

3. Death From Above

Edited by blutarsky
Bumped Lana for DFA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Isn't that a toothpaste?

Hip Hop group including Billy Woods, maybe the best rapper in the world over the past 5 years. He's released maybe 5 or so great albums either solo or in the group. The Armand Hammer album that came out last year was undoubtedly my favourite hip hop album of the year.

New album is produced by Alchemist and probably their most easily accessible album yet.

25 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Hip Hop group including Billy Woods, maybe the best rapper in the world over the past 5 years. He's released maybe 5 or so great albums either solo or in the group. The Armand Hammer album that came out last year was undoubtedly my favourite hip hop album of the year.

New album is produced by Alchemist and probably their most easily accessible album yet.

So not a toothpaste then?

Given a couple of tracks a quick spin and as suspected it's not for me, generally find there's a really really limited amount of hip hop that catches me.

42 minutes ago, EssexIndie said:

Quite a bare month for me new music wise, however top 3 are:

1. DFA1975 - Is 4 Lovers

2. Kings of Leon - When You See Yourself

3. Middle Kids - Today We're The Greatest

New DFA? - this could change things for me. Off to listen. 

57 minutes ago, EssexIndie said:

Quite a bare month for me new music wise, however top 3 are:

1. DFA1975 - Is 4 Lovers

2. Kings of Leon - When You See Yourself

3. Middle Kids - Today We're The Greatest

Wow opposite for me. Think this is my hardest month so far. Probably about 7 or 8 albums vying to be in the top 3.