Album of the Month Tournament - March 2021

anditmakesmesmile

"March, with grief doth howl and rage..."

• Bicep's Isles was the January Album of the Month
  • Black Country New Road's For the First Time took the February crown
  • Who will take the title of Album of the Month - March - only you can decide...

Apologies for the over the top, reality tv, opener. And thanks to @dentalplan and @Quark for January and February.

Here is a reminder of the rules:

• Contest window: Any album released in March
  • Entry window: between the last 0:00 Friday of the month in question to 23:59 the first Thursday of the month following (this time that's March 26 - April 1).
  • The system: Choose any three albums released during the month in question in order of preference.  The best receives three points, second best two points and the third best one point. See example below:

1. Album A (3 POINTS)
    2. Album B (2 POINTS)
    3. Album C (1 POINT)

• Any entries that say "so many good records. Can't choose! So in no particular order..." indicate a complete lack of understanding of simple gamesmanship. Votes from those entries will, obviously, be completely ignored.
    • Everyone else, I will assume the order they are listed is the order of preference. Even if you number it 1. 2. 3. I will assume that is in order of favourite and not the points you are giving unless expressed otherwise.

Unlike Quark, I am not open to bribes, backhanders, sweeteners, threats, cajoling or pleading.   I am morally upstanding, beyond reproach and without vice. With the exception of five days in June every year when all that shit goes out the window. However, this is March, so behave yourselves and submit your favourite albums.

You know what to do. 

Edited by anditmakesmesmile
  • Upvote 8

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Something tells me this month will be a landslide for Lana.

I’m not so sure, I think it might be a close race. Certainly don’t think anyone will win it by a country mile like BCNR last month.

Big release day today.

12 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The votes so far don't seem to be playing that out and got to say she won't feature in mine either although too many new releases today for me to make a decision yet. 

6 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

1. Arab Strap - As Days get Dark 

2. Kayoko Yoshizawa - Akaboshi Aoboshi (Japanese Art Pop - very good stuff indeed. Her album from 2017 - Yaneura juu- is one of my favourites of all time). 

3. Xiu Xiu - OH NO

I’ll look out for that, meanwhile Aiko - Doushitatte Tsutaerarenaikara is also a belter 🙂

On 3/25/2021 at 11:58 PM, Hugh Jass said:

I think For Those I love might win it. Stand out album of the month for me, quite a few people discussing it on the new music thread and it's already got a few votes.

Lana did nothing for me personally, though I did find the album title intriguing. 

First time voter,

1 Valerie June ; The Moon and The Stars

2 Arab Strap; As Days Get Dark

3 The Antlers: Green to Gold

Worthy mentions to For Those I Love (nearly made third slot but I thought a bit similar to Arab Strap, only so much melancholy in one month), Eveanescence, The Anchoress and Neil Young (not sure if live albums count)

If like me you never know when an album was actually released, music press review 2 months before release, three tracks released before the album, before the album is actually released. This website is good for finding new albums, monthly lists and you can filter by release date, critic view, user view or dare I say it popularity. I find it a good way of dipping in to find established artists or new artists that get good reviews. At the start of March I had never heard of Valerie June or For Those I Love.

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/2021/releases/march-03.php?s=critic

Edited by Cherry Tree

1 hour ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I know it's early days, but everyone said Lana was going to walk it, and yet she's only got two points from one vote so far. 

Too busy listening to Lana to have got around to even listen to Friday's releases, never mind making a judgement on their quality.

17 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Here is a question.

Does a deluxe reissue count? The album I have in mind has 40% new material. The original was released last September. 

Not the rule maker here but I’d go with no, otherwise we could start putting stuff like The Beatles in here due to their albums having a twentieth reissue.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Not sure if this is allowed but I only have one album on my list. I only listen to albums I buy on vinyl & I've only bought one new record this month. So:

1. Arab Strap - as days get dark 

I think it’s allowed. It’s just three points to your top one. It’s better than making  the next two up. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Not the rule maker here but I’d go with no, otherwise we could start putting stuff like The Beatles in here due to their albums having a twentieth reissue.

I think that’s a fair ruling. I might have been a bit too embarrassed to include Major Lazer anyway (but I do love ‘em). I’ve now got to decide between Noga Erez’s KIDS and the eponymous For Those I Love.