Never been before. Will be going this year. Any tips / advice?

Hi all. Just waiting for the line-up announcement on Friday before booking tickets. I've been to festivals before and there's usually good advice to be given on each one. Does anyone have any tips? Accommodation, transport, etc. Any wisdom any previous attendees can pass over would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Andy

It's quite an easy fest to do as the main arena is relatively compact and it's easy enough to navigate.

The times I have camped, I've never struggled to find a decent spot, but as the camping and fest arena are separate, you should plan to spend all day in the arena, without returning to the tent until the day is done, you would need to queue up to get in again.

Also, you won't be allowed to bring your own alcohol in with you, so bringing crates of it is probably not especially helpful.

Newport town centre is about half an hour walk from the fest site, so if you need extra supplies, it's easily done.

Coming by car means you need to go on the car ferry to get over which is not cheap (worth it if you have a whole family, but not so much if it's just two of you) and also locks you into predetermined sailing times. I would consider the public transport option, ie. foot passenger on the fast cat / ferry / hovercraft and buses on the island - they're fine and the atmosphere on the ferry is usually good as it'll be full of other festival goers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Been once and would never go again.  Horrendously corporate.  It's a sealed arena festival where you camp outside and go into the arena each day.  Be warned there are police sniffer dogs at the entrance turnstiles.  Once in you have to buy their corporate sonsors food and drinks at their prices.

The year I went they had horrendous weather and the site was a quagmire.  They were towing vehicles in.  When it came to leave they were towing them out and I saw several cars wrecked by the towing teams.

• Like 1

That’s fair. It is more corporate than a lot of feasts, but no more than Download or R+L for example. I thought the food and drink offerings were pretty standard for such an event. Overpriced for sure, but I’ve not yet been to a fest where that’s not the case.

curious about which year you went. My last visit was 2018, and the weather was perfect. 

I can't remember the actual year @grumpyhack is talking about but I remember the event well. It was a complete shit show! People were sleeping in their cars because they couldn't get on site. Traffic was backed up for miles - it was complete carnage.  Giddings was absolutley roasted for it by the local council and he almost lost his license. To his credit, the organistaion ever since has been spot on. It runs like a dream these days. Just a shame all the acts are shit.

2012 maybe. It was indeed a quagmire, but I came on foot, so no real knowledge of the car park situation, other than a friend moaning about how long it took for him to get in. But he'd moan if his speed had to drop below 20 mph.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2021 at 11:44 AM, maelzoid said:

It's quite an easy fest to do as the main arena is relatively compact and it's easy enough to navigate.

The times I have camped, I've never struggled to find a decent spot, but as the camping and fest arena are separate, you should plan to spend all day in the arena, without returning to the tent until the day is done, you would need to queue up to get in again.

Also, you won't be allowed to bring your own alcohol in with you, so bringing crates of it is probably not especially helpful.

Newport town centre is about half an hour walk from the fest site, so if you need extra supplies, it's easily done.

Coming by car means you need to go on the car ferry to get over which is not cheap (worth it if you have a whole family, but not so much if it's just two of you) and also locks you into predetermined sailing times. I would consider the public transport option, ie. foot passenger on the fast cat / ferry / hovercraft and buses on the island - they're fine and the atmosphere on the ferry is usually good as it'll be full of other festival goers.

Hey im just curious about when you say the campsite and arena are completely separate. How far a walk is it from say the pink campsite from the 2019 map to the festival? Also when you say make sure you go in for the day for the whole day. Is it that your not allowed to go in and out or is that just your recommendation? Also is it true chairs can go in? Do they limit this?

This will be my tenth IOW festival, I also do Leeds did do V and do a few smaller ones every year. 
o enjoy this one the most by far, yes it’s had some years with bad weather (havent they all) but also some amazing weather. After the awful one in 2012 they have improved the site a lot for bad weather. We always go back to our tent for more supplies/ a few drinks and a Hoodie or jacket early evening it’s not that bad. If you are the furthest campsite away it’s about half hour back to the main arena but there is lots to see and do on the way to keep you entertained. 
Don’t drag all your booze/supplies with you as there is a co-op on site amd also you can walk into Newport to the massive Morrisons easily (about half hour walk) OR catch the bus right from the festival main gates into Newport. You’ll have an amazing time;) 

Edited by Kasabiangirl
On 3/31/2021 at 4:58 PM, vahri said:

Hey im just curious about when you say the campsite and arena are completely separate. How far a walk is it from say the pink campsite from the 2019 map to the festival? Also when you say make sure you go in for the day for the whole day. Is it that your not allowed to go in and out or is that just your recommendation? Also is it true chairs can go in? Do they limit this?

I would say about half hour walk but lots to do and see on the way. Far too much to git everything in! 
yes you can take chairs in but be prepared to be unpopular! If you do take one try amd stay near the back as they cause carnage on the paths/speaker stands and near the front amd a lot of arguments. Personally I think a blanket you can pack up is better to chill on. 

On 4/2/2021 at 4:59 PM, Kasabiangirl said:

I would say about half hour walk but lots to do and see on the way. Far too much to git everything in! 
yes you can take chairs in but be prepared to be unpopular! If you do take one try amd stay near the back as they cause carnage on the paths/speaker stands and near the front amd a lot of arguments. Personally I think a blanket you can pack up is better to chill on. 

Ahh thank you. Don't worry about that I am one of the people that gets annoyed about the people in chairs haha

On 4/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, vahri said:

Just one more question, can you usually see both headliners? Or do they clash

There is some clashing, but you can probably see all of one and half of the other, so either stay til the end of the main stage and see the second half in the tent (put probably from the back), or leave the main stage early to grab a good spot for the tent. It depends who you most want to enjoy.