Camping at Worthy Farm

stuie

14 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Booked in for three nights in August, despite my concerns that ‘family friendly’ means that child-loathing me will be woken up by other people’s little Johnny and little Octavia at 6am... funny how there’s always a nighttime noise curfew but not an early morning one... 

You cannot blame the kids bless em at a Family Festival 

If they are waking you at 6.00 am have some Wet Playtime to tire you out, that should get you to 9.00am 

1 hour ago, ivan said:

You cannot blame the kids bless em at a Family Festival 

If they are waking you at 6.00 am have some Wet Playtime to tire you out, that should get you to 9.00am 

When we took our kids camping, because of the fresh air and play activities they would basically conk out around nine and not waken up until seven at the earliest. Gave us some time to have a seat outside the tent and enjoy the evening. Must admit, camping holidays with the kids, as long as the weather was decent, were our happiest and most memorable holidays. I’m sure anyone taking their kids to Worthy Pastures will love the experience. 

• Upvote 1

We Have booked 3 day weekend for 20th August - now hopefully we get reasonably good weather. It just nice to have something in the diary to look forward to and have a mooch about. Not to far to travel for us either. 

On 4/30/2021 at 11:37 AM, danbailey80 said:

I'm sure, if a success, they will do this again, even if a fallow year. 

Thinking about it, does raise a question as to how it impacts the fallow-year cycle. 

We'd assumed we'd have five straight years from next year again, but with this it could "count" in terms of churning up the ground and the farm needing time to recover?

17 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Thinking about it, does raise a question as to how it impacts the fallow-year cycle. 

We'd assumed we'd have five straight years from next year again, but with this it could "count" in terms of churning up the ground and the farm needing time to recover?

No chance! They will be going for 5 years from 2022. If a bit of family camping was any risk to that happening, they wouldn’t have even considered it! 

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I'd have thought the vastly smaller scale of this compared to the full festival means minimal impact on the land. I'm guessing even with the catering, stewards etc. plus campers there probably won't be any more than 10k people at the absolute most - probably a lot less? 

And you also won't be getting the same concentrated impact in front of the stages and at high traffic points around the site. 10k people spread out will leave fewer boot prints than 10k crushed together in a mosh pit 😄

Although the camping is on for longer, the full festival build-up and tear-down in a normal year probably takes longer still.

I reckon if they want to go into a normal 5-year cycle from 2022 then should be all good. 🙂

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2021 at 2:28 PM, stuie said:

No chance! They will be going for 5 years from 2022. If a bit of family camping was any risk to that happening, they wouldn’t have even considered it! 

You'd think so wouldn't you, tho is the fallow year designated in the site license or something?

23 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Looks like Thomas T has left us  😞 

Wow totally gone! How did he do that? Oh well, I hope him and Octavia have a lovely time.

15 minutes ago, august1 said:

Just looked at every arrival date and every tent size is still available, looks like they've misjudged demand on this one. Too expensive and running for too many weeks?

I think that the problem they've got is that it's still too early to know either way. With Beautiful Days announcing today, Y Not last week, WOMAD a week or two before that etc and those all (I think) still having tickets available then I can't see large numbers choosing a non-musical weekend on a dairy farm ahead of a potential proper festival for arguably less cash.

If those events do start cancelling, as is certainly possible, and the summer starts to look as barren as last year then interest should spike dramatically.

Personally, even beyond the "better alternatives" angle, the pre-pitched aspect also puts me off - I've been forced awake at Glastonbury at 6am odd too many times, and so now wouldn't stay in a tent unless is was a Fresh&Black or equivalent. Though I suspect that won't bother most people enough to be a deal breaker.