Crystal Palace Bowl - South Facing Festival

mahoneypepe

How did everyone else find last night? 

I had a great time - love The Cribs and was great to see them for the first time in 3 years, solid set from them 

Really enjoyed Supergrass - wasn't entirely sure what to expect live but thought they were amazing. Absolute bargain for £20 (shout out to @Homer for the link!). The sound quality was top notch, and plenty of room to move around too.

Also thought the setup was quite good - plenty of toilets and bars, at least the cans were cold and 440ml for the price though obviously would've preferred pints. 

13 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

How did everyone else find last night? 

I had a great time - love The Cribs and was great to see them for the first time in 3 years, solid set from them 

Really enjoyed Supergrass - wasn't entirely sure what to expect live but thought they were amazing. Absolute bargain for £20 (shout out to @Homer for the link!). The sound quality was top notch, and plenty of room to move around too.

Also thought the setup was quite good - plenty of toilets and bars, at least the cans were cold and 440ml for the price though obviously would've preferred pints. 

Me and my mates had a great time too. It was a good set up there, hoping they repeat the event next year. It's nice to go to something kind of local to me in South London.

I really enjoyed it too. Have been to three gigs there now (also did Dizzee and Baxter Dury/Fat White Family) but Friday night was the best one by far. Cribs were great - first actual moshpit. Was a bit gutted no Hey Scenesters! and Another Number though.

I'm not even a particularly big Supergrass fan but, yeah, they were great. That big run of his they did at the end was superb. Delighted that I'll be seeing them again at Godiva in a few weeks (was only £7.50 too!).

It's a really nice set-up they've got down there at CP Park. Am trying to blag tickets to the opera next Sunday, so fingers crossed for that.

Edited by Homer

10 hours ago, Homer said:

d1edbb05-e11f-4237-9328-2e8d3fd36248.thumb.jpg.5df15ab28d17b53d8f1028955441834f.jpg

I'm with you there. One of my favourite bands and it's been too long - last time was Victoria Warehouse in Manchester in September 2018 

Having to give up my Brudenell tickets next week- going to Leeds just isn't realistic between Leeds Fest for a day, APE and Neighbourhood Weekender so I'm glad to have seen them this year as it was the only chance  

Definitely getting Manchester tickets for spring though! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

Our group have a mix of standard and vip tickets for Rudimental. Does anyone know if we will all be together to watch the show or does vip have a desperate viewing area? Thanks

I doubt it has a separate viewing area as the site is very small. I went last year and cannot remember one

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

The Primal Scream day is clearly selling very badly as the seat filling site make a point of putting "late entry allowed" on their advert for the cheap tickets. Thought the JAMC would be a big draw but obviously not. 

Feel as though PS had a diminishing, if still committed, fanbase many of whom have given up more or less entirely after the revelations disclosed by Martin’s son a few months ago. I don’t think they’ll ever sell well again, and in all honesty, they’ve been naff live for the better part of a decade now. (I say this as someone who was part of said ‘diminishing’ fanbase.)

5 minutes ago, stereodista said:

Feel as though PS had a diminishing, if still committed, fanbase many of whom have given up more or less entirely after the revelations disclosed by Martin’s son a few months ago. I don’t think they’ll ever sell well again, and in all honesty, they’ve been naff live for the better part of a decade now. (I say this as someone who was part of said ‘diminishing’ fanbase.)

On the naff live part I think that applies to The Jesus and Mary Chain as well; saw them at Primavera last year and they were dire. Just Like Honey in particular was a low light of the whole festival which is a pity as I adore that song.

18 minutes ago, stereodista said:

Yeah they're a bit ropey as a live act, not least because Bobby's voice, never the strongest, is just completely shot now. I've quite enjoyed the later albums (that Bobby with Jenny Beth one aside) and the Screamadelica celebrations and reissues, but perhaps time to bring things to a close. 

Hopefully the Black Angles and JAMC will be decent though, two acts I've wanted to see but never got round to.

I think its the venue and not the actsthat put people off. I live in East London and no one I know wants to go to Crystal Palace Park to see anyone. Every year they give away tonnes of tickets to these concerts. If James & Primal Scream were playing some where else that was  easier and nicer to get to, I would be happy to pay full price for them. As its at Crystal Palace, I am not going even with potential free NHS tickets.

Every year, I look at the logstics of getting there with no parking, cheapish near hotels etc and am put off. 

Theyhave lots of good stuff on every year but you will struggle to find that many people wanting to go due to the venue and not the acts.

I know lots of people who regularly go to Community and none of them  went this year. They were not put off by the smaller line-up but by the choice of park.

3 minutes ago, Dales said:

I think its the venue and not the actsthat put people off. I live in East London and no one I know wants to go to Crystal Palace Park to see anyone. Every year they give away tonnes of tickets to these concerts. If James & Primal Scream were playing some where else that was  easier and nicer to get to, I would be happy to pay full price for them. As its at Crystal Palace, I am not going even with potential free NHS tickets.

Every year, I look at the logstics of getting there with no parking, cheapish near hotels etc and am put off. 

Theyhave lots of good stuff on every year but you will struggle to find that many people wanting to go due to the venue and not the acts.

I know lots of people who regularly go to Community and none of them  went this year. They were not put off by the smaller line-up but by the choice of park.

You don't need a hotel if you're travelling from East London.. I went twice last year from Bow and had no problems getting back.

But not disagreeing that perhaps people think it is too much of a trek. People still go to ally pally though. 

1 minute ago, DarthSaul said:

You don't need a hotel if you're travelling from East London.. I went twice last year from Bow and had no problems getting back.

But not disagreeing that perhaps people think it is too much of a trek. People still go to ally pally though. 

Yeah, Ally Pally is another place that people find difficult to get to but agrea people do make an effort to go there. Obviously, its only anecdotal but my circle hate traveling to Crystal Palace.

I've been to a few of the days there, the Heavenly Records one with Sleaford Mods and others, Supergrass, The Streets and Richard Ashcroft and from memory only the former didn't end up on seat filler websites. One things that irritates me is that it's right next to a couple of really good breweries and not far from loads of others up by Bermondsey but the bar offer is all Brewdog cans. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

Yeah they're a bit ropey as a live act, not least because Bobby's voice, never the strongest, is just completely shot now. I've quite enjoyed the later albums (that Bobby with Jenny Beth one aside) and the Screamadelica celebrations and reissues, but perhaps time to bring things to a close. 

Hopefully the Black Angles and JAMC will be decent though, two acts I've wanted to see but never got round to.

they've been milking Screamadelica for 20 years. cant do that forever.