Crystal Palace Bowl - South Facing Festival

mahoneypepe

1 hour ago, JHad said:

We went along to the Corinne Bailey Rae day yesterday after picking up the giveaways from Central Tickets. Musically, it wasn't really to our liking so we caught the final 3 acts. The crowd was very sparse by midway through CBR's set - at a guess less than 10% capacity. They'd put down some mud covers on the front 15 metres or so nearest the stage and the entire crowd fitted on there with ample room. You could've put the staff, vendors and their food trucks on there too and still had room to dance. Doesn't really bode well!

On a more general note, the site itself is great. It was smaller than I was expecting and refreshingly laid back in terms of security. The natural bowl gives good views from all around the site and the sound quality was excellent for an outdoor event. The bars looked to have decent options (e.g. various Brewdog beers in big cans, ciders, wines, spirits and a limited cocktail choice) and there were 7 or 8 food trucks, with three offering vegan options (pizza, maki, and hotdogs). There were a lot of toilets too, although I only used the urinals so am not sure of their cleanliness levels.

Bodes well for me for Supergrass and The Cribs then, especially the Brewdog selection! Wonder how busy it'll be for that gig...

On 8/9/2021 at 7:31 PM, efcfanwirral said:

Bodes well for me for Supergrass and The Cribs then, especially the Brewdog selection! Wonder how busy it'll be for that gig...

I went to the Baxter Dury, Fat White Family one (which was obviously more 'indie') and it was pretty busy. Prob not quite sold out but approaching it I would say. So hopefully the Supergrass date does alright (no pub intended),

Down for this Friday night, looks like decent weather for it. Those who have been, how was it in terms of security if a friend were to be taking in a small bag for personal use? Usual security pat down or dogs abs or police as well?

How much are beers in there as well?

Any other tips?

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Stuinafield said:

Down for this Friday night, looks like decent weather for it. Those who have been, how was it in terms of security if a friend were to be taking in a small bag for personal use? Usual security pat down or dogs abs or police as well?

Any other tips?

Cheers!

No pat downs but a metal detector thing. No dogs.

Beers are stupidly expensive: 6 pounds for a can!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stuinafield said:

Any other tips?

Cheers!

I had to empty my pockets and had a pat down and metal decter  think it all depends on the security guard 

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

What's the best tube/rail station to get into? And I'm completely unfamiliar with the area - is it reasonably safe, even after the gig? 

Crystal Palace Station on the Overground is right on the edge of the park, although on the other side from where the bowl is.

Gypsy Hill, Penge West, Sydenham and Sydenham Hill aren't that far away either.

That area is pretty gentrified tbh, just be sensible as you would anywhere else in London.

On 8/16/2021 at 11:53 PM, zahidf said:

No pat downs but a metal detector thing. No dogs.

Beers are stupidly expensive: 6 pounds for a can!

I wonder where it will end for these prices (talking specifically about venues/festivals selling cans - not draft pints).

It's disgraceful to sell individual cans for one or two pounds more than you could get a pack of four of them in any shop or supermarket.

Yet people still buy them...

21 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Crystal Palace Station on the Overground is right on the edge of the park, although on the other side from where the bowl is.

Gypsy Hill, Penge West, Sydenham and Sydenham Hill aren't that far away either.

That area is pretty gentrified tbh, just be sensible as you would anywhere else in London.

Crystal Palace is also served by Southern as well, from London Bridge and Victoria I think. For the Overground you'd need to head to Canada Water to pick up a train, if you're coming form central London that is.

55 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Crystal Palace is also served by Southern as well, from London Bridge and Victoria I think. For the Overground you'd need to head to Canada Water to pick up a train, if you're coming form central London that is.

Think that looks like the best plan for me - staying central. The walk to the station through the park from the bowl looks a bit ropey for night time but I assume everyone else will be doing the same? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

Think that's the best plan. The walk go the station through the park from the bowl looks a bit ropey but I assume everyone else will be doing the same? 

I live in Croydon and have no issues walking around at night, in Crystal Palace you'll be fine - they'll be loads of people doing the same walk anyway.