Album Club - Week 4

EighteenSixty7

Album Club Week 4 - What are your ratings?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Album 1

2. 2. Album 2

Got there in the end!  Notes are bit light this week, didn't get a lot of time to really gather thoughts on them last week.

Arcane Roots

I liked all the component parts of this.  There was some decent heavy guitar work, sweeping synths & strings, pretty melodic vocals just on the right side of the scream (and I also like the slight falsetto thing), and a lot of interesting swerves and changes. It felt like a lot of it could soundtrack a movie or a real epic TV show. But for some reason, none of it hung together for me, and I just found it...dull.  I had to make myself give it a second listen, as I had no real urge to go back to it.  For me it was the musical equivalent of Rachel's trifle; fruit good, cake good, cream good, meat goooood.  I really wanted to like it, but nope.

2/5

Maccabees

Maccabees completely passed me by, and I think probably had them in a pile with a lot of other stuff that would sound similar.  Not quite "indie landfill", but maybe in that neck of the woods.  In the end I really, really enjoyed this.  It felt closer to Orlando Weeks' solo album from last year than it did to the snippets of earlier Maccabees I'd heard.  It's been added to my playlist album store of the '10s, and I suspect it'll get a lot more plays than I expected.

4/5