Album Club - Week 4

EighteenSixty7

Album Club Week 4 - What are your ratings?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Album 1

2. 2. Album 2

Album 1

R-10925408-1506626579-7014.jpeg.jpg

Album
Melancholia Hymns by Arcane Roots

Tracklist
1. Before Me
2. Matter
3. Indigo
4. Off the Floor
5. Curtains
6. Solemn
7. Arp
8. Fireflies
9. Everything (All at Once)
10. Half the World

Picked by

@EssexIndie

"I’ve been thinking about this for a while and it’s a lot more difficult that I was expecting.
I didn’t want to go for anything too mainstream nor too out there either.
I’ve enjoyed the other recommendations so far and it’s a great way of being
introduced to new music. So I’ve gone for something that’s heavy and intense in places,
and gentle in others. A real musical masterpiece in my opinion that deserves
to be listened to by as many people as possible by a band that although
aren’t together anymore, certainly deserve the exposure
"

Album 2

R-6177163-1413050276-7440.jpeg.jpg

Album
Given To The Wild by The Maccabees

Tracklist
1. Given To The Wild (Intro)
2. Child
3. Feel To Follow
4. Ayla
5. Glimmer
6. Forever I've Known
7. Heave
8. Pelican
9. Went Away
10. Go
11. Unknow
12. Slowly One
12. Grew Up At Midnight

Picked by

@st dan

"I have been deliberating whether to go for something old, new, obscure, or a classic
- and I have actually decided on none of those.

The Maccabees are a band that I guess many of you will have heard of, and may be
familiar with a couple of their songs, but haven’t really given them too much attention.
They may have been incorrectly included in the ‘Indie Landfill’ scene by some,
so I wanted to give people a chance to give this album the full attention it deserves.

Undoubtably their finest work, this album showcases the bands many different sounds,
all accompanied with Orlando Week’s unique vocals and excellent production.
I feel it has a bit of everything in there for people to enjoy, with a good mixture
of slower and up tempo songs. It’s probably my favourite album due to when/where
my life was when it was released, but I always revisit it and it still holds up
really well nine years after its release
"  

Questions:

Did it sound as I expected?
Overall thoughts?
Favourite Track?
Would I listen to it again?
Will I investigate them further?
Score out of 5

----------

The Back Catalogue

Last Week

The Jukebox

Now That's What I Call eFest Album Club!

----------

Welcome to Week 4 of Album Club!

Here's to another week!

Week 5 will start next Monday 15th 🙂

• Upvote 2

I've been meaning to give Given to the Wild a listen for a long time now as it's such a good album that I've not listened too in a while, great choice! Looking forward to checking out Arcane Roots too as I've never heard the album before. 

Average scores after Week 3:

Tracy Chapman by Tracy Chapman (20 votes) - 4.05

Slowdive by Slowdive (16 v) - 3.63

I'm All Ears by Let's Eat Grandma (28 v) - 3.61

Sails by The Travelling Band (16 v) - 3.06

The Shadow of their Suns by Wax Tailor (20 v) - 2.95

The Blackest Joy by Akua Naru (28 v) - 2.68

Edited by northernringo
Added recent vote for W3

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Average scores after Week 3:

Tracy Chapman by Tracy Chapman (20 votes) - 4.05

Slowdive by Slowdive (15 v) - 3.67

I'm All Ears by Let's Eat Grandma (28 v) - 3.61

Sails by The Travelling Band (15 v) - 3.13

The Shadow of their Suns by Wax Tailor (20 v) - 2.95

The Blackest Joy by Akua Naru (28 v) - 2.68

If this pattern continues it'll just be down to 2 voters by week 10 😄

Have enjoyed what I've heard from Arkane Roots on random playlists in the car before but never dived into an album so looking forward to that

I have never liked the Maccabees at all from all the singles I've heard so not expecting much there

Arcane Roots - Melancholia Hymns

This is right up my street, not what I was expecting from the limited exposure I've had to this band before. I clicked with this straight away and I imagine I'll spin this again many many times. My highlight would be Matter but I love the flow of the whole record, thanks EssexIndie for the recommendation 4/5

• Upvote 1

I won't review my own album choice (which is a clear 5 by the way 😉) but am more than happy to review @st dan choice as the Maccabees are one of my favourite bands, who I think got considerably better with each album they made. I genuinely think the upward path that they were on could have seen them headline Glasto if they'd have made another couple of albums, they were that good. Any excuse to listen to this cracker of an album again.  

The Maccabees - Given to the Wild

Did it sound as I expected? I have listened to this album so many times it's hard to answer this. At the time it would have been no, as it was quite a departure from their previous sound (unfairly bracketed in the "Indie landfill" scene), but its unmistakably them due to Orlando Weeks distinctive voice.

Overall thoughts? - the album that got them out of the "Indie landfill" tag and made people take notice of them. It's an album that I think has to be listened to as a complete piece of music, it flows really nicely so no skipping tracks! If you enjoy listening to Orlando Weeks' voice (which I can fully understand could be considered 'marmite') then you'll really enjoy it.  

Favourite Track? Child. I love the way that it builds up and then explodes towards the end of the song. A set opener and a real taste of what to expect in any live show. 

Would I listen to it again? - absolutely, all of their albums are regularly spun over here!

Will I investigate them further? - can't really answer that as I own everything that they have ever released as a band! Fingers crossed they will reform and make new music as they were on the top of their game when they split.

Score out of 5 - 4.5/5. Only marking it down as its possibly 1 or 2 songs too long - and their final album I believe is even better than this. 

• Upvote 1

The Maccabees

Did it sound as I expected? Better than I remember but not my thing
Overall thoughts? Tracks sounded quite samey, some catchy hooks but found it kind of boring. I wouldn't say I hated it which I expected to from hearing some of their material before
Favourite Track? Pelican
Would I listen to it again? No
Will I investigate them further? No
Score out of 5? 2/5

Arcane Roots - Melancholia Hymns

Did it sound as I expected? No, not at all. When I read the tag line on Apple Music of ‘A progressive metal journey’ I thought it wouldn’t be for me. But was very pleasantly surprised. A lot more delicate in places than I was expecting.

Overall thoughts? - really enjoyed it and one I will be playing again for sure. There are some great soft vocals in their, mixed in with some or the more heavier ‘metal’ sounds, without getting too heavy. It’s a great blend. Every song goes in a different direction and I couldn’t guess what was coming next on first listen.

Favourite Track? ‘Curtains’ is the one which stands out so far, but would expect this to change as I listen more. I like the build up, reminds me a bit of Spanish Sahara by Foals in that sense.

Would I listen to it again? Definitely - already have several plays in full, one whilst running at night at it was a perfect soundtrack for that!

Will I investigate them further? - already have given their earlier albums a go, but I would say this one stands out. Shame they aren’t together anymore, as would have liked to have seen them live. Can imagine their gigs being great. 

Score out of 5 - 4/5 

Great pick @EssexIndie  thanks for the introduction to them!

• Like 1

Arcade Fire - Melancholia Hymns

Did it sound as I expected? I didn’t know what to expect
Overall thoughts? Pretty good, but more of a mood piece than a party starter. I loved the vibe, and the shifts in vocal style. I was feeling a little Tool here, some shades of Pendulum there, but it did have its own identity. Enjoyed it.
Favourite Track? Dunno, no real stand outs, I feel like the album is a single work 
Would I listen to it again? Yes, when I’m in a certain mood
Will I investigate them further? Yes, but don’t know when, it won’t be a priority, I guess one day I’ll just think to myself ‘self, play some Arcane Fire’

Adding my own question - would I see them at Glasto? Absolutely, I imagine the live experience to be pretty primal and think it would go off big time after midnight down the SE corner (no idea if they’re too big or not for those stages)
Score 3 out of 5
I little torn, they’re nudging a 4 but I’m trying to judge albums relative to my previous scores.

Maccabees - Given to the Wind

Did it sound as I expected? Not in the slightest, but only because I think in my head I’d gotten confused with The Macc Lads 🥴
Overall thoughts? Thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice upbeat collection of songs. Some albums (see Arcane Fire) work best when listened to as a whole, some like this, you can dip in to, pull tracks out to add to playlists, bang on for your mates before heading out on a Friday night...each part is a whole animal in its own right (to paraphrase my fave movie)
Favourite Track? Well I didn’t think I knew Maccabees, then Pelican came on and the penny dropped, great tune
Would I listen to it again? Definitely, I’m gonna play it later for Mrs Moth, I think she’ll enjoy it.
Will I investigate them further? Yup
Score 4 out of 5

Would I see them at Glasto? Absolutely, clashes permitting.

Edited by John the Moth
Forgot a question

Had time this week to listen to the 2

Arcane Fire - Not that I knew them but skipped through a few tracks at the start of the week and thought I may struggle with the album. How wrong I was, really enjoyed this from start to finish yesterday when I gave it a proper play. I shall be seeking out more. Some of the tracks are already on certain playlists and some will end up on mixes I make for pleasure. Would certainly catch them live

certainly a 4 from me

Maccabees - I enjoyed the album but didn't really grab me at all. Most tracks seemed to pass me by. Get a feeling I may need to go back and give it another listen as there is certainly parts in their that caught me so maybe it was just the wrong time maybe. I had just listened to Arcane Fire so not good bedfellows perhaps

3 though 

Melancholia Hymns by Arcane Roots

Did it sound as I expected? Not particularly, I thought they'd be heavier for some reason. 
Overall thoughts? I didn't mind it but I did think it went on a little bit towards the end of the album. 
Favourite Track? Before Me.
Would I listen to it again? Yes. 
Will I investigate them further? I feel like they're someone I could quite like if I dedicated the time so worth a go. 
Score out of 5 - 2

Given To The Wild by The Maccabees

Did it sound as I expected? Yes as I've heard it many times before but different to older Maccabees stuff as they certainly grew as a band throughout the years.
Overall thoughts? Great album and probably The Maccabees finest full body of work. 
Favourite Track? Grew Up At Midnight.
Would I listen to it again? Yes. 
Will I investigate them further? Already know the back catalogue but still need to check out Orlando Weeks solo stuff. 
Score out of 5 - 4 (I may have accidentally clicked on another score on the poll but no idea how to check this)

Arcane Roots - Melancholia Hymns

Did it sound as I expected? I honestly had no idea what to expect
Overall thoughts? I don't usually listen to this type of stuff, I know it's not exactly metal but I have basically no knowledge of metal or metal adjacent stuff. So I think it will take me a while to get the vocal style during the heavier parts of the album. I did enjoy the guitar riffs.
Favourite Track? hmm, Matter I think
Would I listen to it again? I don't think so
Will I investigate them further? If I ever start getting into metal or metal adjacent music in the future I bet I will have a better appreciation for this
Score out of 5 a very reluctant 2

The Maccabees - Given To The Wild

Did it sound as I expected? Kinda yeah
Overall thoughts? I completely missed the whole indie scene growing up, whilst Arctic Monkeys were big I was listening to Dizzee Rascal and Giggs and US rap, and I only started to listen to indie (and non rap in general!) from around 2013/14 I'd say, so I have no prior knowledge of this band. I would say I enjoyed it, but apart from Pelican nothing really blew me away. Solid stuff all round, just nothing that wowed me.
Favourite Track? Pelican & Ayla
Would I listen to it again? Yeah I wouldn't mind, for an easy background listen I think it'd be great
Will I investigate them further? Yeah sure
Score out of 5 3

Edited by Haan

Arcane Roots - Melancholia Hymns

Did it sound as I expected? - From hearing the first track, No it was not what i expected, 'Matter' straight away took me to somewhere i thought it was not going. I rather enjoyed that though.

Overall thoughts? - Yeah, i really enjoyed this. It's  pity they have split up. A theme continued with your second album choice, surely a coincidence :) In places it reminded me musically of Evanesence, without the female single.

Favourite Track? I liked , 'off the floor', 'Arp' and think 'Fireflies' my fave track on the album

Would I listen to it again? Yes, i will probably give it another go.

Will I investigate them further? - I might, as said not together anymore so we couldn't go and see them

Score out of 5 - 3/5 , thought of a 4, it's nearly there but not quite

The Maccabees - Given to the Wild

Did it sound as I expected? I am going to be completely biased here, i have seen them live five times, twice at Glastonbury. Already completely familiar with the album and all their work, by one of the best bands in to 20's imo.

Overall thoughts? - The Band split because of apparent musical differences. They were friends and had been on the scene for many years and it took them a long time to produce an album. This album was eagerly anticipated from ' Wall of arms'. It took them three years in between album releases. It was a big change from Wall of arms, and a complete success and it propelled them further into the mainstream that i don't think Orlando was ready for. Let's face it it was his voice that carried them really. Maybe the cause of a little jealousy among friends.

Favourite Track? I love Child and glimmer in equal measure, also think Forever i've known is a brilliant track, and great live.

Would I listen to it again? - Of course, so much to listen to though isn't there1

Will I investigate them further? - I've investigated all there is to with these, even listened to Orlando's solo effort. Think he needs to patch things up :)

Score out of 5 - 5, the first album i've given a 5 to. It's really hard to mark a 5 as you are really saying that in your eyes this is a classic. In my view it's a classic on the 20's

Edited by ghandi
  • Upvote 1

For various reasons I've only been able to listen to each album once so it's kind of unfair to rate them. But what the hell.

Arcane Roots.

A couple of tracks in and I thought I was going to enjoy it but not much later I'd decided I wasn't. 

I liked the heavier elements but a lot of the soundscape stuff and the falsetto vocals got on my nerves. Maybe a little too earnest for my tastes, I preferred the shouty bits.

I think I could grow to like it but after the one listen I don't think I'll invest any more time in them.

3 out of 5.

The Maccabees 

Didn't sound at all as I was expected, I thought they were more of an indie landfill band and after listening to the album, I'd wished they were.

Similar in vocal style to Aecane Roots, I just don't like that kind of voice. It grates on me for some reason.

I think even if I'd had time, I wouldn't have bothered with further listens.

2 out of 5.

Arcane Roots

Yes, yes, yes. I'm very into this. They're a band who I'd liked the bits I'd heard from in the past but had never gotten round to fully checking out, and I'm glad this pushed me to do so. I love the fact that the heavier elements are properly heavy, I'm also into the more melodic "soundscape stuff" (as Gnomicide described it), and love how they're able to blend the two and make it feel like a natural fit for them to go together.

The Maccabees

Did it sound as I expected? Not really. The bits of them I'd heard beforehand were enough to know that they weren't really a 'landfill indie' band, but still I don't think were representative of how much of this album sounded.

Overall thoughts? Back in week 1 of this jamboree I said about the Let's Eat Grandma album that I really liked the blissed-out, dreamy tracks at the back end of the album a lot more than the first half, which at times got on my nerves somewhat. This album is similar, albeit less "extreme" in each direction, in that I was more into the tracks that have got that sun-kissed, hazy sound (like Ayla and Glimmer) than many of the others on the album - interesting that a lot of people seem to be shouting out Pelican as a favourite, as it might have been my least favourite track of all. Upthread someone described it as a "collection of songs", and that felt very accurate to me, as something about it never quite fully came together as a cohesive whole of an "album", which is something I definitely always prefer.

Favourite Track? As I kind of gave away above, probably Glimmer.

Would I listen to it again? As a whole, unlikely. Certain tracks, possibly.

Will I investigate them further? Can't see it.

Score out of 5        3, albeit rounded up from 2.5