Jump to content

Primavera Sound 2022


daveje

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Someone has helpfully done a comparison job

2019:

65/67/70 acts
And in big font 25/27/27
 

This year:

55/55/54 acts
And in big font 21/21/19

Lots of new names still to come...

Mh, I don't want to look too much into this statistic, though.

Everytime a situation like this one occours to a festival, everybody goes Rambo with the wildest speculations (i.e. "what if they add a new headliner, there are 3-3-4 in the firse w/e, gotta be 2 more heads") and then we end up with some middle-tier names at best and a handful of nobodies - which is reasonable tbh.

There will be no more headliner for sure, they would have pointed that out otherwise - also it is not PS modus operandi to tease an headliner, the whole ticket comes out together for a reason. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Are there any orchestral type shows expected anywhere within the lineup?


A bit sad to have lost Arthur Verocai and stuff like Jane Birkin has been a highlight for me in the past.

Orchestral arrangements are very hard to tour even under normal conditions. What you have to consider: Many orchestras employ musicians with different nationalities and under Covid that can become a problem. Whilst Europe might be safe in 2022 due to vaccines, the majoritiy of the world will still be at risk and EU-travel restrictions might still apply at any point for non-Western countries. So if you don't have an EU passport, you might be banned from travelling in the EU if you're based in the UK, USA or elsewhere (Brazil in Arthur Verocais case). Also, UK based projects face absurd regulations, bc the UK failed to negotiate a proper agreement in this regard. Musicians might be obliged to account for all their equipment in terms of customs. That means, if you break a piece of equipment and replace it, you'll have to pay customs upon reentering on that piece. Also Insurance might not cover your instruments in the EU anymore. All this stuff is hard enough on bands, but they are typically just 3 or 4 people and a label that sorts stuff out. An orchestra on the other hand is waaay harder to manage in this regard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Orchestral arrangements are very hard to tour even under normal conditions. What you have to consider: Many orchestras employ musicians with different nationalities and under Covid that can become a problem. Whilst Europe might be safe in 2022 due to vaccines, the majoritiy of the world will still be at risk and EU-travel restrictions might still apply at any point for non-Western countries. So if you don't have an EU passport, you might be banned from travelling in the EU if you're based in the UK, USA or elsewhere (Brazil in Arthur Verocais case). Also, UK based projects face absurd regulations, bc the UK failed to negotiate a proper agreement in this regard. Musicians might be obliged to account for all their equipment in terms of customs. That means, if you break a piece of equipment and replace it, you'll have to pay customs upon reentering on that piece. Also Insurance might not cover your instruments in the EU anymore. All this stuff is hard enough on bands, but they are typically just 3 or 4 people and a label that sorts stuff out. An orchestra on the other hand is waaay harder to manage in this regard.

I agree totally but I went to a concert with a foreign orchestra and that was last night not in more than 12 months time.

Was EU -> EU.

So yeah I wouldn't try and book a UK based orchestra or from another continent but one from the EU should surely be fine by next June.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Are there any orchestral type shows expected anywhere within the lineup?


A bit sad to have lost Arthur Verocai and stuff like Jane Birkin has been a highlight for me in the past.

I'd love to see Jeff Mills with orchestra, though it's not stated anywhere. Can still dream

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Are there any orchestral type shows expected anywhere within the lineup?


A bit sad to have lost Arthur Verocai and stuff like Jane Birkin has been a highlight for me in the past.

Crossing my fingers for a Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders show

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

I think we'll have seen the last of special/orchestral shows unfortunately. I'm sure some festivals will be taking up that mantle, but for a festival as large as Primavera now the effort vs cost vs reward ratio just doesn't work for them.

I dunno. 

Putting on as many as 150 A La Ciutat shows doesn't have a good effort/cost/reward ratio and yet they've gone for that.

Plus they said there would be whole host of surprises in 2020 and they've always loved trying different things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I dunno. 

Putting on as many as 150 A La Ciutat shows doesn't have a good effort/cost/reward ratio and yet they've gone for that.

Plus they said there would be whole host of surprises in 2020 and they've always loved trying different things.

I'd also say whilst the direct cost-benefit ratio of an orchestral arrangement might not be good, it adds to PS image of being unique and avantgarde, which is one of the most important factors nowadays. After all, festivals sell a feeling, and being able to distinguish oneself from others is a part of that feeling for many. I think we'll see more such arrangements return in 2023 and possibly a few smaller projects for next year. I can imagine the two-weekend billing is easier done with bands. After all the weekends are supposed to be roughly equal, so the programming will at least be somewhat the same in terms of slots. And you might just not fit that orchestral arrangement into that 50 minute slot you have available

Edited by Quadrophobia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does a VIP ticket for the first weekend include any advantages for the city concerts? Something like early entrance or even a certain amount of tickets reserved for vips for each club maybe? I'm not a fan of VIP festival tickets in general but if it means i can see slowdive and interpol in a nice venue without having to show up hours before i might consider 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, diekatze said:

Does a VIP ticket for the first weekend include any advantages for the city concerts? Something like early entrance or even a certain amount of tickets reserved for vips for each club maybe? I'm not a fan of VIP festival tickets in general but if it means i can see slowdive and interpol in a nice venue without having to show up hours before i might consider 😁

Honestly, it would be cheaper to just by one of the tickets on public sale for those two shows, instead of paying the VIP upgrade

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

what’s the ‘cup contest’ PS mentioned in a tweet this evening? Have I missed something or is it lost in translation?

Can you share the tweet? Cant find anything. 

I assume they refer to the beer cups from 2019 (they used 20 different reusable cups for beer in that year, that if you collected all 20 you got a free ticket for 2020). Was quite nice, I still have those cups

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Can you share the tweet? Cant find anything. 

I assume they refer to the beer cups from 2019 (they used 20 different reusable cups for beer in that year, that if you collected all 20 you got a free ticket for 2020). Was quite nice, I still have those cups

Yeah same here , think ended up with 17 different ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...