Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

It's interesting hearing so many mixed feelings on the festival.

I'm in the camp of... that was probably my favourite festival I've ever been to.

It doesn't quite have the magic of Glastonbury but by being condensed it's more a lot more forgiving and the hotel festival experience will be difficult for me to go back from.

Even with the cancellations there was so much to see. Such a wide range of acts, I could be seeing a hardcore act one second and then a dream pop duo the next.

The bits area is so unexpectedly nice as well. There's not hoards of people down there and it's so nice to have the option to just chill on the beach with an Aperol Spritz whenever.

100% want to try and go back next year.

• Upvote 1

At the airport now (T2 - almost no queues, spent 5 min to get through security). Lots of thoughts regarding this years edition, but all in all I ended up liking it a lot! Spent more time at the main stages than I planned. On Friday I started to like the stages next to each other, and come  Saturday I liked it even more than the old arrangement. Thursday was not great though, with the sound being way too low, and too many Dua Lipa fans talking being annoying during Interpol and Gorillaz. It was also the only concert where I felt it being too crowded at Mordor.

Phoenix btw.. holy hell that was fun! The crowd was amazing, the band even better.  Perfect ending to the festival for me (too tired for DJ Coco this year 😔).

Edited by pne094

Glad to read so many positive reviews this morning. I'm certainly wondering if I made the right weekend choice with so many great sets on weekend two but that's just my envy watching from home. 

It wasn't perfect but it certainly seemed to improve as it went along and that gives me a lot of hope for next year. 

Plus, if all the reddit and Instagram commenters who say they'll "never go again to the worst festival ever" actually don't go, it should be nice and quiet 😅

5 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Glad to read so many positive reviews this morning. I'm certainly wondering if I made the right weekend choice with so many great sets on weekend two but that's just my envy watching from home. 

It wasn't perfect but it certainly seemed to improve as it went along and that gives me a lot of hope for next year. 

Plus, if all the reddit and Instagram commenters who say they'll "never go again to the worst festival ever" actually don't go, it should be nice and quiet 😅

Actually the one that frequently complained (including in this forum) are the loyal tix holders. If you lost that audience, you left with youngsters Dua Lipa, Grimes, Jamie XX type of audience. Far from nice and quiet, good luck 🙂

Glad you guys all enjoyed it. W1 definitely improved after day one but it just wasn't really for me overall. I loved the music I saw and it was nice to try something new, but I think this was probably my only Primavera outing. I've been pretty negative about it but I'm genuinely happy that people had a better experience than it first seemed they would.

7 minutes ago, Bram said:

Actually the one that frequently complained (including in this forum) are the loyal tix holders. If you lost that audience, you left with youngsters Dua Lipa, Grimes, Jamie XX type of audience. Far from nice and quiet, good luck 🙂

I wonder how many of the frequent goers will really stop going after this year. I think the line up is still stacked, different and better than all other festivals (in my opinion, and probably theirs too if they keep coming back) that by next year it will all be forgotten.

VIP sells will take the hit I guess, unless they announce they return to the old stages layout

8 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I wonder how many of the frequent goers will really stop going after this year. I think the line up is still stacked, different and better than all other festivals (in my opinion, and probably theirs too if they keep coming back) that by next year it will all be forgotten.

VIP sells will take the hit I guess, unless they announce they return to the old stages layout

Next year will be my 10th Primavera, I will definitely be here. Yes this year had it‘s flaws, but quality and diversity of the line up are still the very best - and as all the frequent goers, I‘m in for the music. Will also get VIP again no matter what, it still has it‘s advantages (and I‘m getting old).

23 minutes ago, Bram said:

Actually the one that frequently complained (including in this forum) are the loyal tix holders. If you lost that audience, you left with youngsters Dua Lipa, Grimes, Jamie XX type of audience. Far from nice and quiet, good luck

I'm a loyal ticket holder. Been 5 times, all VIP. And I'm a big Jamie XX fan. And I thought PS did a damn great job all things considered (have not seen a better more diverse more comprehensive and more interesting line up anywhere). And i'll be the first one buying a VIP ticket when the early birds go on sale. What does that make me?

18 minutes ago, brosch said:

Next year will be my 10th Primavera, I will definitely be here. Yes this year had it‘s flaws, but quality and diversity of the line up are still the very best - and as all the frequent goers, I‘m in for the music. Will also get VIP again no matter what, it still has it‘s advantages (and I‘m getting old).

It will be my 10th as well! Not sure if Im returning yet, but it would be cool to go one last time to reach some kind of jubileum.

Havent had VIP the last two editions, but I think I will go for VIP if I return.

17 minutes ago, Rhak said:

I live pretty close to Best Kept Secret and my wife likes it as well. Might go for 2023 BKS and back to bcn in 2024 but temptation is there

So how’s BKS compare to PS. i.e: the music, the audience? Is it a camping festival or there’s accommodation available near the fest?

if i bought cheaper tickets without knowing the line up and it turned out to be as badly organised as this year, and it had the line up from 2019, i’d be pretty annoyed. 

Edited by Ohjesus

And really keen to know about the  harassment  issues by the security, as well as unfair treatment to the disable people that I read in social media. If it’s turned out to be true, then it’s such a turn off for me. Especially when PS promoting all things related to peace and diversity

• Upvote 2

I think I'm definitely coming back but not next year, partly cos I want them to get the logistics of BCN/MAD practised and polished before I go again, and partly cos of life stuff meaning I'll have less money next year. 

I'm not doing a two weekend festival again tho, I'll be nearly 40 by Primavera 2024 and I might disintegrate. 😂

1 hour ago, Bram said:

Almost certain my three trips would've made me a loyal ticket holder. Ah well 😜

I'm joking, of course. I just think the social media discourse was funny - you'd swear it was Fyre Fest the way some of it was portrayed. Far from perfect, lots to improve but the entitled shrieking for refunds because an act cancelled or something... Yeesh. Of course I'd rather have seen the Strokes, but there's a real lack of maturity there for some of those people (in particular those on Instagram, really) 

Maybe I'm just settling because I was so glad to be back at a festival. I dunno. 

Anyway, roll on 2023 with dua lipa, Grimes and Jamie xx. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bram said:

So elitist

42 minutes ago, Bram said:

So how’s BKS compare to PS. i.e: the music, the audience? Is it a camping festival or there’s accommodation available near the fest?

- Music: less stages so less clashes but also less of the special stuff (you won't get that pavement or les savy fav one off) / lots of overlap in the normal touring bands though because of the timing  / style wise i'd say less hiphop, trap, reggaeton en heavy techno stuff

- audience: mainly Dutch & Belgians, so don't expect wild scenes but as it's pretty early in the season age group is pretty much like primavera (so not loads of really young kids)

- location: pretty awesome location in a sort of sandy forest near 2 big lakes. Beware of the caterpillars indeed. Other than that the forest gives way to little nooks and cranies with beautiful stuff for decoration. Great food stands. Smoothly organised. 

- accomodation: there's loads of camping, even pre pitched stuff but also some trailer/cabins available (though not a lot) as it's actually on the grounds of a drive through Zoo. It's a touristy region so there's also quite a lot of b&b's in the neighbourhood as well as Tilburg which is only 15min away with the shuttle bus or 30mins by bike (and the dutch have really cycling really well organised). 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Rhak said:

- Music: less stages so less clashes but also less of the special stuff (you won't get that pavement or les savy fav one off) / lots of overlap in the normal touring bands though because of the timing  / style wise i'd say less hiphop, trap, reggaeton en heavy techno stuff

- audience: mainly Dutch & Belgians, so don't expect wild scenes but as it's pretty early in the season age group is pretty much like primavera (so not loads of really young kids)

- location: pretty awesome location in a sort of sandy forest near 2 big lakes. Beware of the caterpillars indeed. Other than that the forest gives way to little nooks and cranies with beautiful stuff for decoration. Great food stands. Smoothly organised. 

- accomodation: there's loads of camping, even pre pitched stuff but also some trailer/cabins available (though not a lot) as it's actually on the grounds of a drive through Zoo. It's a touristy region so there's also quite a lot of b&b's in the neighbourhood as well as Tilburg which is only 15min away with the shuttle bus or 30mins by bike (and the dutch have really cycling really well organised). 

I've done both and this is pretty accurate. Although I loved Primavera this year, I'd like to go back to BKS next year, or just somewhere that isn't as much of a maul as PS was this year. Plus can't understand how little has been made of how expensive the beer was. 

12 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

as a non drinker i was gutted that alcohol free beer was the same price as normal!

Alcohol situation in general was a big turnoff for me. I'm not out to get wrecked these days but I love having a pint of cider at a festival. Even if they'd had cider it would have been a tiny one (and yes I know pints aren't really a big thing in Spain but I have had them in Spain!). Having to drink white wine or spirits instead (they often didn't have red) was a pain in the arse.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DDave said:

I've done both and this is pretty accurate. Although I loved Primavera this year, I'd like to go back to BKS next year, or just somewhere that isn't as much of a maul as PS was this year. Plus can't understand how little has been made of how expensive the beer was. 

I can't imagine BKS being any cheaper whatsoever...

19 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

as a non drinker i was gutted that alcohol free beer was the same price as normal!

I was surprised too but then realized it's the same in bars plus: if I'm not mistaken they actually ask for as much work to produce (there's always an extra process involved). 

When it comes to the size of pints: I always hated it when my buddies bought big ones and they were warm & staleish 3/4ths through. It doesn't have to be a problem when the bars function properly...

Cider is not a popular drink in Spain apart from in Asturias and Basque Country. Even at Bilbao BBK I don’t remember seeing it.

They had it at Primavera before but guess it wasn’t that popular (or conversely that Estrella thought it would reduce beer sales).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rhak said:

I was surprised too but then realized it's the same in bars plus: if I'm not mistaken they actually ask for as much work to produce (there's always an extra process involved). 

they were about half the price in shops. no biggie though in the scheme of thing