Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

Who knows, maybe he's just gonna blow his voice out and hope he can recover in a week for the next show. But I wouldn't set your expectations high for them either showing up or putting on a great show. If his voice goes Mike can't just do everything, it'll be mostly backing track. 

The tram service was more frequent, I think - we left after Dua Lipa, as so many other people, the tram left just before we got to the tram stop, and another one came in like 5 minutes and wasn't full at all. Last week we missed the tram as well, then we waited for another one around 20 minutes and it was so full, that not everyone got inside.

Also there were people securing access to and from Binance stage (and not letting more people in the front of the stage) during Metronomy concert.

The food area between Cupra and Mordor (under those sitting stairs) was completely cancelled, with a lot of light, which made moving to Mordor so much more fluent.

The bars were so much better organised. Even if there were lines, they move very quickly. 

They really tried to learn from last week and make the best of it, even though the main problem remains. SO MANY PEOPLE. 

We came to Dua Lipa concert around 20 minutes early, got ourselves some quite OK mid-mordor spots, but the first half of the concert was just impossible to enjoy. It was totally crammed (we also witnessed a teenager vomiting nearby), first 30 minutes of the concert, there was a constant flow of people towards the stage, often quite ruthless, and then, this mass exodus started. I really don't get it. If I'm not planning to stay till the end of the concert (like at Metronomy), I always stand somewhere near the exit, so I'm able to leave without bothering people. But after everyone made their mind about staying or leaving, it was like a classic headliner PS set in past editions - we got a little closer, with quite a lot of space to dance and surrounded by the people, that came there for the music. And I have to admit, that even though I would never buy a separate ticket for her show, this was a great booking by Primavera. She really is a superstar. I'm just sorry I couldn't enjoy the whole show as much as the last 30 minutes.

So, my point is, Primavera tried very hard to make it better than last week, but fixing the details helps only that much when the main problem is overcrowding.

Other than that, it was another pleasant festival day with highlights being Alex Cameron, Rata Negra and Dua Lipa. But I was quite hungover from Acid Angel party. At some point, I realised, that these lines at bars at the festival are also good for something. Having almost unlimited access to bar at Razzmatazz (after the whole first weekend without being drunk) wasn't ideal either. And even though I came there to see mainly 100 gecs (I missed them at the festival because of limited access to liquids the first day) we had to left after A. G. Cook (this time, because of unlimited access to liquids). So, no 100 gecs for me this time.

Yesterday, I was happy to put myself together just in time for Alex Cameron. Such a rookie mistake, to get drunk before the 1st day of the (2nd) festival.

As for the P.C. Music night, Hannah Diamond was absolute highlight.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

It runs all night through Friday and Saturday so shouldn't have any problems there

Not quite, tonight (technically Sat morning) it's not on from 2am-5am. Saturday you're fine, 24hr 

Happy to be corrected here but that was our experience

Interested to see if today feels significantly busier now that they’ve offered extra tickets for those who missed The Strokes last week or if it will prove to largely be an empty gesture with people not being able to take up the offer. 

Also seeing some people on Instagram saying they’ve called up the fest and been told they can come today with a full weekend 1 ticket (not just day tickets like originally stated).

Very surprised no Hidden Stage, no Secret Sets, no Backstage Parties, no pop up surprise concerts, no Casa Teva, no corporate sponsored acoustic/repeat gigs (Rayban did this every single year for years plus ocr, firestone and others).

I’ve had a good time - but have missed all their usual nice touches.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Festiv Val said:

If it makes anyone feel any better Porto edition last night was similar to barcelona, totally oversold. Couldn't get near the stages, even for relatively smaller acts like DIIV. Everyone doing their business in the bushes as queues were crazy, totally different to before

Well that answers the question about whether I was just gonna try Porto next year instead, I guess...

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on other festivals across the summer to see if its a trend everywhere. I don't mean that to be an excuse for the mistakes primavera has made, but certainly every gig I've been to (in UK, Ireland, and a few EU countries) since Covid restrictions eased has felt twice as busy and half as organised. 

3 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Well that answers the question about whether I was just gonna try Porto next year instead, I guess...

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on other festivals across the summer to see if its a trend everywhere. I don't mean that to be an excuse for the mistakes primavera has made, but certainly every gig I've been to (in UK, Ireland, and a few EU countries) since Covid restrictions eased has felt twice as busy and half as organised. 

I guess maybe organisers are cutting corners to try to claw back some money after the last couple of years? Agree that it will be interesting to hear some more reports as the summer goes on.

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I guess maybe organisers are cutting corners to try to claw back some money after the last couple of years? Agree that it will be interesting to hear some more reports as the summer goes on.

Some combination of cut corners, reduced staff, inexperienced staff (this is the biggie I reckon), and a lack of practice. 

Like I say, I'm not trying to provide excuses for anyone but it's pretty clear plenty of mass events are having hiccups lately - look at all the football match issues in Europe, the airports, and even the hospitality staff shortages everywhere. 

A pain to deal with, and hopefully one that is resolved soon. 

(just watch Glasto go swimmingly now to undermine my theory 😂

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Reckon tonight is when they really bump up against the edge of that 90k capacity or whatever it was. Be safe out there anyone trying to attend Strokes and/or Smile. 

Not looking forward to the walk from Tous (Rigoberta Bandini) to Mordor (Strokes) today... Definately not going try getting near the stage, just untill I feel I can both experience the band and dance to The Adults Are Talking. 

Ironically it may be less busy during MIA right after Strokes considering The Smile starts at the same time.

Looking forward to start the festival today in a chill atmosphere with either Maeve (Tous) or Sampha (Binance). 

10 minutes ago, pne094 said:

Looking forward to start the festival today in a chill atmosphere with either Maeve (Tous) or Sampha (Binance). 

If you’re a bit early, I’d strongly recommend checking out CMAT at Tous. I’ve never seen her live, but the music is fabulous. Country-inflected pop, full of hooks, with a healthy stab of melancholy behind intelligent and funny lyrics.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pne094 said:

Not looking forward to the walk from Tous (Rigoberta Bandini) to Mordor (Strokes) today... Definately not going try getting near the stage, just untill I feel I can both experience the band and dance to The Adults Are Talking. 

Ironically it may be less busy during MIA right after Strokes considering The Smile starts at the same time.

It’s Sampa the Great - not Sampha.

I’ll start with Khea on tous stage. That should be fun

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Very surprised no Hidden Stage, no Secret Sets, no Backstage Parties, no pop up surprise concerts, no Casa Teva, no corporate sponsored acoustic/repeat gigs (Rayban did this every single year for years plus ocr, firestone and others).

I’ve had a good time - but have missed all their usual nice touches.

Same. They explicitly said, there would be surprises, didn’t they? I mean there were surprises, but not the way they meant

14 minutes ago, Modesty Powder said:

If you’re a bit early, I’d strongly recommend checking out CMAT at Tous. I’ve never seen her live, but the music is fabulous. Country-inflected pop, full of hooks, with a healthy stab of melancholy behind intelligent and funny lyrics.  

Very much looking forward to this - perfect way to shake off the hangover and start the day afresh

1 minute ago, brosch said:

Same. They explicitly said, there would be surprises, didn’t they? I mean there were surprises, but not the way they meant

That was for 2020 wasn’t it? Don’t think they’ve explicitly mentioned any surprises or anything for this years editions, probably because they’ve already spread themselves way too thin and can’t afford to book any other large acts in small slots.

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

That was for 2020 wasn’t it? Don’t think they’ve explicitly mentioned any surprises or anything for this years editions, probably because they’ve already spread themselves way too thin and can’t afford to book any other large acts in small slots.

Id say a lot of the marketing slogans have been merged in our heads - certainly mine. I remember the promise of surprises, then Primavera in August, then the postponement, then "we will dance together again" and "our biggest edition yet". 

They must have dropped the surprises along the way, I'd say.

Id say if anyone combed through the statements, we'd find a change in tone at some point, but in real time, we're probably just thinking more is being added rather than anything being taken away too. 

Got back home late last night. Despite travel problems and all the nonsense on day one I had a pretty good time. As a large festival I can only compare it to Glastonbury where even though they have a whole valley to play with, crowd movement problems still occur. Let's just hope they take some of the criticism on board for next time. I'd certainly consider going again for a lineup of similar quality. Also really enjoyed Barcelona having not been before and it didn't really seem as unsafe as some have suggested. I'd bagged Dice tickets for 3 Cituat shows which were great fun, felt sorry for the thousands in those lines though.. One hidden gem was the Laut venue, a little warehouse style club, had a couple of great nights dancing away in there til 5am. Had considered trying to grab a cheap W2 ticket but alas, my blistered feet have had enough, only 12 days til Glasto.

Standouts -

Gizz (Razz 2), Warpaint, Les Savy Fav, The Armed, Boy Harsher, Khruangbin (Poble Espanol), Cave

Have a great time to all those sticking around.

Edited by Jumbulance