Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

just to reiterate what gabi said last week in the Q&A about the bridge - apparently the new harbour owner forbid PS from using it this time round. 

so i guess moving forwards that won’t change and probably doesn’t help with plans to remain in barcelona as, like you say, Bits is criminally under used 

The annoying thing is that Bits is actually really great and such a nice vibe, but expecting people to go back and forth to this a couple of times a night is just not going to happen when you have to basically schedule in an hour to get to and from it now, potentially eating into set time of acts at Mordor/etc you might want to see, and because of that it barely makes a dent on the capacity issues in the main bit of the site.

I just don't know what the solution is to it but it's not really working in its current form. Maybe curating it as an entirely separate thing somehow might work.

7 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The annoying thing is that Bits is actually really great and such a nice vibe, but expecting people to go back and forth to this a couple of times a night is just not going to happen when you have to basically schedule in an hour to get to and from it now, potentially eating into set time of acts at Mordor/etc you might want to see, and because of that it barely makes a dent on the capacity issues in the main bit of the site.

I just don't know what the solution is to it but it's not really working in its current form. Maybe curating it as an entirely separate thing somehow might work.

This, there's a few times I wanted to go to bits but for one act and each time I just cba. 

Just now, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

This, there's a few times I wanted to go to bits but for one act and each time I just cba. 

Yep I had originally planned to do the same but after the first journey over there on Thursday I realised it was impossible to see a single act there without it making you miss stuff over the other side. Only possible if you’ve got at least an hour gap in your schedule to get there and back, so now only planning on going over right at the end of the night/4am onwards.

I think if they timetabled Bits better, the whole thing improves. Every time we went down over weekend one, it was half empty but there were very few of the biggest acts on down there. 

I reckon if they'd stuck Disclosure, or Caribou (before the main stage move), or Charlie (she's there this week, right?) on the main stage down in Bits, the crowd splits and a lot of people would stay there.

Yes, you'd still have a mega crowd for someone like Gorillaz (and, I suspect, Dua Lipa), but that's what happens when you book v big acts. 

Say for this weekend, stick Run the Jewels or MIA on in Bits and see if it helps. Would some people be disappointed about their fave acts being further away and having to choose? Sure but if it is a matter of crowd safety, it has to be done, really. 

I don't expect any of those changes this weekend BTW, but maybe for next year.

1 minute ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I think if they timetabled Bits better, the whole thing improves. Every time we went down over weekend one, it was half empty but there were very few of the biggest acts on down there. 

I reckon if they'd stuck Disclosure, or Caribou (before the main stage move), or Charlie (she's there this week, right?) on the main stage down in Bits, the crowd splits and a lot of people would stay there.

Yes, you'd still have a mega crowd for someone like Gorillaz (and, I suspect, Dua Lipa), but that's what happens when you book v big acts. 

Say for this weekend, stick Run the Jewels or MIA on in Bits and see if it helps. Would some people be disappointed about their fave acts being further away and having to choose? Sure but if it is a matter of crowd safety, it has to be done, really. 

I don't expect any of those changes this weekend BTW, but maybe for next year.

I dont see other way to solve it, but this solution sucks. It means more clashes, and clashes on distant stages.

It will be worthwhile if you can get 2-3 shows in a row on bits, will make the walk more reasonable, but, but for one show it is just too much overhead

Maybe it's just a case of theming it somehow, or giving it over to certain artists for the day. Eg The Smile could have curated the afternoon/evening and timetable it so there's some sort of in demand thing every couple of hours to keep people at that side of the site (The Smile live, Sons of Kemet, Thom Yorke solo, other Radiohead-adjacent stuff, Autechre DJ, whatever).

I don't think it's a totally lost cause but if they're insistent on keeping up this sort of capacity they're going to have to force people to choose this side of the site more aggressively.

Let's see what weekend no. 2 brings, but right now, I just can't see myself not coming back next year. 

Yes, this wasn't the greatest Primavera ever (2019 still rules them all), but I can't find better line-up anywhere else and the pros still outweigh the cons by far, at least for me.

And except for the 1st day, we actually had an amazing time. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, pipan said:

Let's see what weekend no. 2 brings, but right now, I just can't see myself not coming back next year. 

Yes, this wasn't the greatest Primavera ever (2019 still rules them all), but I can't find better line-up anywhere else and the pros still outweigh the cons by far, at least for me.

And except for the 1st day, we actually had an amazing time. 

Tend to agree and would like to see the next weekend pan out. Don’t get how Thursday was so busy with the least amount of people while there were easier moments at cupra on the latter days (not for the big shows obvs like little simz but Dinosaur jr was nuts on Thursday and beach bunny super chill)

Any suggestions for places to eat in the area around Razzmatazz? Just find something on the rambla poblenou (10 minute walk) or is it something even closer to be recommended? Unfortunately the great El 58 do not open until 20.00 and thats when we should be in line at Razzmatazz.

Edited by puckno

1 hour ago, Ohjesus said:

just to reiterate what gabi said last week in the Q&A about the bridge - apparently the new harbour owner forbid PS from using it this time round. 

so i guess moving forwards that won’t change and probably doesn’t help with plans to remain in barcelona as, like you say, Bits is criminally under used 

But they are using it for VIP aren't they? So it's only some people they are allowed to use it for, not the whole site?

Two of my most enjoyable sets of the festival were in Bits (Let's Eat Grandma and Squarepusher), partly due to the acts but also due to the space to move and enjoy it. Definitely think people not using it led to the overcrowding and would highly recommend W2 people make the trek, especially if crowds getting too much.

23 minutes ago, puckno said:

Any suggestions for places to eat in the area around Razzmatazz? Just find something on the rambla poblenou (10 minute walk) or is it something even closer to be recommended? Unfortunately the great El 58 do not open until 20.00 and thats when we should be in line at Razzmatazz.

L‘Olivera is great for tapas - 10min walk from Razzmatazz 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, JB15 said:

Any of you tested positive for covid since coming back? One of our group have, I don’t feel a million dollars either 

Feeling rough but testing negative. 

Putting it down to (hopefully) just some post-holiday blues and a bit too much booze and a lack of sleep. 

I spent most of Thursday in Bits and then the free beer bar by Binance so I was surprised to read the next day about the massive bar queues and crushes, sorry to anyone who experienced them! Had an absolute ball at the festival and I will probably be back again depending on the lineup.

Also whoever recommended Parking Pizza and L'Ostia thanks so much, absolutely sorted me out!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JB15 said:

Any of you tested positive for covid since coming back? One of our group have, I don’t feel a million dollars either 

Yep, my little sickness on Saturday turned out to be covid. Tested negative out there when I had just started to feel off, got worse and when I tested after getting home I was positive. Had the works, fever, chest, throat, nose, but 3 days later I'm definitely feeling better, still tired. Lay up watching all of Stranger Things 4 today to recover. Hope you and your mates alright. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Feeling rough but testing negative. 

Putting it down to (hopefully) just some post-holiday blues and a bit too much booze and a lack of sleep. 

Mate woke up with shivers and a cough. I had a dry cough but could be from the airco. Same time got a message from someone who came home and was not well and tested Both tested negative and both better a few hours on

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

But they are using it for VIP aren't they? So it's only some people they are allowed to use it for, not the whole site?

Two of my most enjoyable sets of the festival were in Bits (Let's Eat Grandma and Squarepusher), partly due to the acts but also due to the space to move and enjoy it. Definitely think people not using it led to the overcrowding and would highly recommend W2 people make the trek, especially if crowds getting too much.

Yeah heading over to Let's Eat Grandma on the Thurs after being in the packed Tame Impala crowd was really enjoyable and a bit of relief. The space, lack of bar queues, and sitting on the grass while waiting for the band to start. Never went there again, unfortunately. Probably would have done if the bridge was accessible.

8 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

Yeah heading over to Let's Eat Grandma on the Thurs after being in the packed Tame Impala crowd was really enjoyable and a bit of relief. The space, lack of bar queues, and sitting on the grass while waiting for the band to start. Never went there again, unfortunately. Probably would have done if the bridge was accessible.

It was such a lovely vibe there. One of the few times I felt really relaxed at the festival!