Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

So vip holder in peace. 

Bars being so busy is absolutely crazy. People doing large orders whilst they were there to stock up isn’t helping. Everyone keeping cups is daft, just do an exchange having people pre pour drinks. Missed quite a bit of SVE in a bar queue. 

The crowd was rammed during tame impala. 

However…back of VIP was wicked, with minimal queues. Also really enjoyed the vibe dog Fred Again on cupra. 

it’s oversold by 10-15% with not enough staff either. Bad combination. But, still enjoyed night 1. Night 2 will be camped in Mordor 

Basically echoing what everyone else has said, need to add that staff not knowing how to take payment from the app meant that they took €48 credit for €24 worth of drinks too.

Very fricking annoying.

SVE played it safe, the Armed were a bit mental. Tame Impala were beige I'm afraid, except for the Strokes cover which was a nice touch.

Highlight of the evening for me was Let's Eat Grandma who put a huge smile on my face.

Bar queues were awful and the Sharon van Etten crowd surge was genuinely scary, I hope people avoided that. 

I've had a really good time since - Tame Impala was excellent, Fred Again even better. Met Fred at the bar too and he was so chuffed at the reaction he got. 

Long gap now to DJ Shadow hasn't helped but we go on. 

Not really drinking and not aiming for the front pit much so my experience is probably not as bad as others (and my first time so nothing to compare with), it just felt uncomfortably busy rather than outright unsafe but yeah the water is going to become more of an issue if there are any warmer evenings. 

I thought SVE was great, only really ever plays the new album which is what it is but more impressed than when I’ve seen her previously. Tame Impala the opposite but fun enough, and Pavement were decent (probably my own lack of familiarity). 

Think it’s a blessing in disguise The Strokes have cancelled and Caribou have switched stages, can’t see the National having a massive crowd just because they’ve played so often which might spread people about

The crowd around Black Midi was actually scary. It was packed and bottlenecked…we couldn’t move. Problem is they “expanded” the festival grounds to sell more tickets, and no one wants to go over to the “expanded” bits area because it’s such a nightmare to get over there. So everyone is staying in the main area and clogging it up. Also, there is a VIP entrance to the bridge in the Binance VIP area that they didnt bother to tell anyone about.

honestly the first time I have felt unsafe at this festival. And the fact that you have to wait over an hour for a cup of water is dangerous. They should count their lucky stars if everyone makes it out of this weekend unharmed.

Edited by jadel74
  • Upvote 1

Yeah Pavement were great. Interesting setlist too, heavy on hits but some deep cuts too. However, I thought the crowd upfront was way too rowdy and I kinda hated the mosh pits and crowd surfing. For me they're a legendary band with songs that were huge in my life, I would love to be able to watch them without having to fear for my safety. Ended up going back a few rows which was much better. The band absolutely delivered. 

Charli XCX and 100 Gecs were fantastic - Ended up leaving Black Midi early because we were exhausted, absolute nightmare trying to get out from beside the accessible platform. The festival is so overcrowded and the bar situation is beyond a joke - Seeing far too many people being so rude to the bar staff though and it’s disgusting, they’re unfathomably understaffed and they’re doing their best. Poor fella serving us looked ready to pass out, kept leaning his head on the pillar in between serving people and had more or less forgotten the order just after receiving it.

• Upvote 3

Oh my good lord. I was hyped but that was a ridiculous mess. There was lots wrong but by an order of magnitude:

1) Bar system need a complete revamp. Awful, every bar I went to. Even pre-pouring the beers would save some of the wait. Jesus.

2) there’s no where near enough room in the front bit of the double stage so both left and right are massive pinch points. They need to - at least - direct people leaving an act to go one way I.e left stage act finishes, leave on the left.

Wowza. I actually can’t believe how bad it was. 

Edit: completely forgot the water situation… trying to imagine glastonbury getting away with that…

Edited by Radiochicken

After a great day bands wise and an awful experience like everyone else I then managed to crash my rental bike (brakes were put opposite, hat went almost flying downhill and had a instinctive brake) and will be running around with massive bruises and scratches for the rest of the week. Great. Just great. 

Just now, Rhak said:

After a great day bands wise and an awful experience like everyone else I then managed to crash my rental bike (brakes were put opposite, hat went almost flying downhill and had a instinctive brake) and will be running around with massive bruises and scratches for the rest of the week. Great. Just great. 

Phone is completely bent and screen broken 

I have to agree that the bar and especially water-situation was terrible, but I had a really good time. Thought the two main stages worked really well, I was mostly in the front rows and thought it was always quite crowded but never too much (I can imagine that it was different on smaller stages).

Charli killed it, Tame Impala was ok, but expected a bit more, The Strokes-cover made my day tho. Pavement was amazing, loved that the crowd upfront was really into it with jumping and everything.

It's my first Primavera, so don't know how it has been in previous years, but I really liked it. Gutted about the Strokes-cancellation, but still very excited for the next days:)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ohseptember said:

Anyone use Cabify to head back tonight? If so, how did it go? Took the night bus around 4 & the crush of people right where the last barricade was got pretty scary. Looking to avoid it the next two nights...

We got the tram and metro (it was 5am by then so it started running again). The tram was horribly packed though and also a bit scary so would also be interested in alternatives!

The hot topic being the security/organization, i don't think it can be easily fixed.

Went to the Primavera Bits section and there it's like a whole different festival, way more chill and you can get a drink easily. I think there is a shorter route available only for VIPs from the Parc del Forum, they should about a way to open that for everyone and make the Bits section more enticing to disperse the crowds.

It's way too crowded and even if they find a way to fix the bars, i don't feel like it's enough. 

First time here and the first impression was very good, i was blown away by the venue and some of the stage setups and the fact that i was getting through the gate so easily also helped.

Things went to shit after the first two gigs (faye webster and joey), when i saw how packed was cupra for dinosaur jr, it looked really unsafe with people everywhere. Got very early to Binance for SVE so i can't tell much about the bottlenecks, it looked ok on the right side of the stage.

Sound mixing was awful for some of the bands( lets eat grandma had massive issues, black lips was so quiet i couldn't understand anything from the back with people talking all around me)

Overall the impression is not good, most artists were really into it and trying to put up a good show, the crowd was also good at times, but organization sucks big time this year. They are not even able to make a proper queue at the bus station, even if it's sooooo easy to put some more fences and tapes so that people stay in line. Very disappointed.