Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

5 minutes ago, Float said:

Sad news.

Cancellations getting a tad ridiculous already and I expect the two weeks before the festival to bring about a lot more. 

If Kacey and Tokischa have also dropped out (plus Connan Mockasin, OM we’re never officially announced by PS either), it would nearly make more sense to merge the two weekends than try to replace them all (not that it could logistically happen at this point of course).  

I’m sure they have regrets of announcing such a complete line-up so far in advance. Very hard to believe I’ll be beginning my journey in just 4 and a half weeks, the lack of communication just makes it all feel a bit farcical to me 😑

Really? A small handful of cancellations out of over 400 acts would require merging the weekends?

There have always been cancellations. And they’ve always found at least half decent replacements. I’m sure they want to communicate on some of the replacements at same time as sharing the bad news. Seems understandable to me - if they only announce bands leaving they’ll get harassed for who is taking their place.

Had written on here previously that we  would get more cancellations than previous years but the recent Coachella tells us it won’t be a chronic number.

And hey, maybe some of us will prefer the bands that end up joining!

• Upvote 2

I’m sure the lack of announcements from the festival concerning any possible dropouts has a lot to do with the fact that they’re expecting/preparing for more and so are gonna leave it all for one big announcement late in the day rather than a constant stream of ‘this persons out - this band’s in’ etc. I imagine when the final lineup is announced there will be a fair few switcheroos in there, but hopefully nothing that lessens the lineup too much/at all. Stuff like Kacey possibly being gone is a worry so I hope they’ve got some big acts waiting in the wings ready to step in. 

• Upvote 2

I find all these complains about the lack of communication regarding cancellations quite amusing tbh. I really, really hope you never have to go through what some of us lived when Frank Ocean bailed out seven (7) days before his show.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Really? A small handful of cancellations out of over 400 acts would require merging the weekends?

There have always been cancellations. And they’ve always found at least half decent replacements. I’m sure they want to communicate on some of the replacements at same time as sharing the bad news. Seems understandable to me - if they only announce bands leaving they’ll get harassed for who is taking their place.

Had written on here previously that we  would get more cancellations than previous years but the recent Coachella tells us it won’t be a chronic number.

And hey, maybe some of us will prefer the bands that end up joining!

I absolutely hope so!

But surely every day we get closer to the festival, the chances of decent replacements being announced is getting slimmer and slimmer? Especially when more seem to be dropped out by the week. Are they really going to get Bjork or Arcade Fire act of similar stature in to replace MA at 5 weeks notice, this year of all years? 

I’d love to be pleasantly surprised of course!,  but it’s disheartening to only see their social media talk of expansion and other money making techniques and not the festival we all bought tickets to (some of us in 2019). And now just 4.5 weeks until I set off, I come on this forum expecting more bad news rather than good. Maybe it’s the Covid gloom warping my mind and bringing me down, but I would have expected something a bit more structured at this stage. I find it worrisome. 

3 minutes ago, Nesser said:

The money making techniques were already there way before you bought your ticket in 2019, you simply weren't as focused on them as you are now.

That’s not really true considering they announced another three festivals this year.

4 minutes ago, Nesser said:

The money making techniques were already there way before you bought your ticket in 2019, you simply weren't as focused on them as you are now.

LA, Madrid, Brazil, Chile, Argentina editions did not exist before..

They could have announced 300 new festivals but it wouldn’t change the fact that bands cancel unilaterally, we are still coming out of a pandemic and even if we weren’t, it takes time to find replacement acts.

I was expecting many more cancellations than we have had. I’m relaxed as they won’t leave stages empty and will do their best to get reasonable replacements in.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Perfume have cancelled.

Wonder how many more have lost their nerve to tour.

So far, none of the cancellations was too heartbreaking for me, but this one really hurts.

Their Time Warp was a love at first sight and in the past year (after getting through all of their albums) they became one of the W2 highlights for me. 

1 hour ago, gibble said:

I've just looked at an old Clashfinder and the main stages seem to start around 18:00 or 19:00 with others starting a bit earlier around 16:00 or 17:00 and one seeming start at 11:00! I'm sure others can answer this better (this will be my first visit...).

There also seem to be an awful lot of acts on the clashfinder... are we still expecting quite a bit to be announced?

The days on the poster do have less acts but that might be more to do with it being two weekends now. Maybe one less stage and some longer sets overall.

That said, the 2019 poster doesn't cover every DJ that played, some will not even be announced, they'll just be there. 

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I've seen many festivals do this lately and its quite understandable. Normally you'd reconfirm acts around now, but the pandemic struggles mean, they'll have to do that later. I'd expect an announcement shortly before the timetable with the combined cancellations with final acts/replacements.

Kacey Musgraves dropping out ist also completely unconfirmed yet from any side but Pinkpop. It might just be a scheduling issue.

Our Booking host has cancelled our apartment and left the booking platform. 

The price of accom accross the city is killing me, we got a 6 person apartment in Poblenou in 2018 for 5 nights for like 1400, the price now for the equivalent is like 4500. 

Anybody got any recommendations of areas, or bargains out there that make sense? 

6 of us again, but fine splitting up if its reasonable. 

Yeah.

End of the Road Festival last year with a few weeks to go:

With less than a month to go until EOTR 2021, we have made some late additions to our lineup. Leading this news announcement as Special Guest is Damon AlbarnCrack Cloud, Sipho, Loraine James, Anna B Savage. Also joining us will be: KiranLeonard / Wesley Gonzalez / BABii / Gwenifer Raymond / Broadside Hacks / The Umlauts/ Sam Akpro / Tiberius B / John Francis Flynn / Michael Clark / Joe Goddard (DJ)

Please note that unfortunately the following artists will no longer be able to join us: Whitney, Tune-Yards, Tinariwen, Songhoy Blues, Les Amazones d’Afrique, Blanck Mass, Les Filles de Illighadad, Current Joys, Marie Davidson &L’œil Nu, Shygirl, The Anchoress, Mike Polizze, Margaret Glaspy, Itasca, Skullcrusher, Jeffrey Martin, Jake Xerxes Fussell, Disq, Sofia Wolfson, David Thomas Broughton and Marlaena Moore.

Covid innit…

Edited by xxialac

Just now, TiltedBrain said:

The price of accom accross the city is killing me, we got a 6 person apartment in Poblenou in 2018 for 5 nights for like 1400, the price now for the equivalent is like 4500. 

Anybody got any recommendations of areas, or bargains out there that make sense? 

We will be rebooking our accommodation tonight. If anyone currently has a ROOM booked via AirBnB rather than a whole apartment - there's a chance need to do the same. Check recent reviews for your host. We are not gonna risk showing up to find we have nowhere to stay. 

140/person/night seems like a hell of a lot, you've got almost zero chance of finding somewhere close to the festival now anyway so you might as well bargain hunt and count on travelling an hour after the fest every day. 

In an ideal world the likes of Primavera and Mad Cool would be able to put down their swords for a year and come to some kind of agreement of dropping the exclusivity between them and borrowing a few acts from each other to plug any major gaps left by dropouts, but alas I think that’s probably a pipe dream.

Realistically there are tons of bands touring at the time, both their own shows and festivals, so there should be options for even the biggest dropouts. Somebody noted in the Glastonbury forum that they’ve actually had to turn down some pretty decent bands this year because the demand to play is so high, so that’s hopefully something Primavera can take advantage of. 

Also wouldn’t be surprised to see a few acts do double duty between weekends who weren’t initially doing it - seems like an easy solution if they’re not already booked up on the other weekend. 

Edited by FloorFiller

59 minutes ago, Float said:

LA, Madrid, Brazil, Chile, Argentina editions did not exist before..

LA was being developed under the radar before you bought your ticket for the 2020 edition and the international expansion had been talked way before that. But hey, feel free to keep thinking they got greedy just now or that they are going to use a 2023 headliner as a replacemente for an already sold-out festival. 

• Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, TiltedBrain said:

You might want to post your arrival and departure dates.  

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I realise it was a total outlier as they had to quickly throw the show together and call in all the guests last minute. Haven’t had much interest in anything they’ve done since Plastic Beach (iirc their comeback album was a bit of a dud) but gonna go in with an open mind as their live shows seem to get largely rave reviews.

Much more of an indication of how they are live now. I'm really looking forward to them. 

2 minutes ago, Nesser said:

LA was being developed under the radar before you bought your ticket for the 2020 edition and the international expansion had been talked way before that. But hey, feel free to keep thinking they got greedy just now or that they are going to use a 2023 headliner as a replacemente for an already sold-out festival. 

😬yikes.

Who said they got greedy this year? I said I find it disheartening to only see adverts for other editions and not much talk about BCN given it’s only a few weeks away. 

And who said they’re expecting 2023 headliners this year? Haha, on the contrary I said I find it unlikely as time goes on that they’ll announce an act like Bjork or Arcade Fire, using their stature as an example. 

With little over a month to go, just 34 days, before all this goes from theoretical to being experienced on stage, Primavera Sound has added new names to its programme, which has been extended even more with a batch of artists and bands led by Mdou Moctar and his rock from the desert, the grindcore legend Napalm Death, 2manydjs’ case of hits, Caterina Barbieri in her continuous search for new sounds, Myd’s French touch in band format, Richard Dawson presenting his new and rare adventure with the Finns Circle, Saramalacara and Dillom representing the new Argentine urban wave and Yeule’s cyborg-pop. As if that wasn't enough, the new batch of names is completed with John Glacier and his glitch-rap, the neotrance productions of Doss, the hallucinogenic garage of Frankie and the Witch Fingers, the dance-punk revolution of De1l Girlz x Dani Rev, the Brazilians Teto Preto, the hardcore producer Osheyack, the DIY dance by the Congolese band KOKOKO!, the Canadian DJ Peach, the hard-dance eminence Anne Savage, the Argentinian producer Tayhana, the pop-punk of Aiko el Grupo and the revelation from Tanzania DJ Travella, the nightmare trap by IC3PEAK, Paquita Gordon from Milan and her vinyl suitcase and the digger touch by Xtrarradio DJs. Of course, DJ Coco will not miss the event: on its 20th anniversary, he will also be making the Parc del Fòrum dance until dawn.