Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Its just an easier way to essentially keep 2 weekends without doing it in one city. I mean Porto now seems like just the odd one out because these 2 will take most of the big names.

I suppose Porto has always been slightly smaller so I’m sure it will still be fine, easy enough to get from Porto to Madrid in the same weekend anyway. 

I wonder what this means for Mad Cool? They’re clearly a bit of a shambles behind the scenes and don’t really seem to have a settled location. It will be interesting to see how they deal with having a well backed competitor in the same city, with an undoubtedly good lineup too.

Just now, Suprefan said:

Its just an easier way to essentially keep 2 weekends without doing it in one city.

Production is definitely cheaper and easier in the same city, but as a tourist I'd prefer going through multiple destinations. Accommodation searching for 2 weeks in BCN has been TOUGH.

6 minutes ago, Orens said:

Production is definitely cheaper and easier in the same city, but as a tourist I'd prefer going through multiple destinations. Accommodation searching for 2 weeks in BCN has been TOUGH.

The thing is how much of a difference will you have in the lineups to make you go to the other city. Will it just be a couple diff headliners or key undercard acts since itll be the only way to get people to choose one over the other.

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

The thing is how much of a difference will you have in the lineups to make you go to the other city. Will it just be a couple diff headliners or key undercard acts since itll be the only way to get people to choose one over the other.

I don't think it will be as big (or breezy) as Barcelona, but as the original is being sold out immediately with a majority of overseas attendees, a second festival in Spain kinda makes sense

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Flights from london really aren’t that expensive if you book early. 

And ditto on the hotels which are v expensive near the forum but not if you are willing to use the metro/shuttle. Plus venue vastly closer to town than the madrid one.

Its half term here during the Barcelona dates, for this years festival on the Wednesday to Sunday, direct flights were £545 each last time I checked.

Venue does look a bit remote

It is hard to envision that foreign visitors would favour Madrid over Barcelona edition given the remote location in Madrid. Unless there would be different lineups which might make some wanna do both or choose one over the other based on musical preference. 

A part of the charm with Primavera is the nostalgia of going to the Forum and the beautiful setting by the beach. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

the sad news here for those who plan to go only to one is that this probably means that the Wednesday free day is not coming back next year, and also not sure what it means for the city in-between shows. maybe Sunday-Monday in Barcelona and Tuesday-Wednesday in Madrid?

Or maybe they might go back to the normal format for Barcelona? Ciutat program starting on the Monday before the festival and ending on the Sunday. With the Monday and Tuesday before the festival just offering 1-2 shows in the Sala Apolo. Then something similar for Madrid the following week. 

5 minutes ago, Olivedal 1904 said:

Or maybe they might go back to the normal format for Barcelona? Ciutat program starting on the Monday before the festival and ending on the Sunday. With the Monday and Tuesday before the festival just offering 1-2 shows in the Sala Apolo. Then something similar for Madrid the following week. 

Yes, this is surely what they’ll do.

The old school dates combined with new style bigger names and tonnes of venues .

Edited by xxialac

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yes, this is surely what they’ll do.

The old school dates combined with new style bigger names and tonnes of venues .

Here is what the press release says:

The 2023 edition of Primavera Sound will once again happen over two weekends. But this time it will be held in two different Spanish cities: on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of June it will take place, as usual, in the Parc del Fòrum of Barcelona-Sant Adrià del Besòs, and on the 8th, 9th and 10th in the Ciudad de Rock of Arganda del Rey, in Madrid. In both cities, Primavera Sound will maintain its identity as an urban festival with the Primavera a la Ciutat programme for the rest of the week. Also, in both Barcelona and Madrid, this programme will be integrated into the cultural spaces of each venue with different musical activities before the main days.