Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

On 6/3/2022 at 7:01 PM, xxialac said:

The adidas was busier (for Pond) for this time of day than I have ever seen it before. Dramatically busier.  The site cannot hold this many people comfortably.

Assuming the bridge to Bits will never be allowed to be open for the masses again (which spreads people across the site), the only solution is to sell fewer tickets…

…which I can’t see happening.

RIP Primavera (2001-2022).

I wrote this when feeling a bit emotional about a festival I've loved for so many years and have stood up for it so many times Thought I would review again once the dust had settled.

So...on reflection I don't think Primavera has died. It's still there to be enjoyed. HOWEVER...much of the magic was in the sense of it being just busy enough and this year for the first time the scales have tipped. The site simply cannot comfortably handle so many additional people and yet it is clear they want to sell more tickets, no matter the harm this causes.

It's like infidelity.

The relationship can continue but it's never quite the same again...

39 minutes ago, daveje said:

Methinks Primavera is going to find out that it's over-reaching, and that it's "brand" isn't that easily transferrable.

I think they will be doing okay in the South America market. While US market is a different beast 

What I´d like to see next year:

- fewer tickets sold (and not just some, a lot), this is key

- improved PR - give people an idea how this Madrid thing is supposed to work and what exactly the program in each of the cities is going to be (at least on which days there will be programming) so you can plan accordingly

If they do this well, the following points would be optional, but greatly appreciated:

- ruthless clashing so people spread better over the area (inconsequential clashing means too many people in one place)

- move the Boiler room into the BITS area so no more sound bleeding and more people in BITS

- the old setup (warm up from Monday to Wednesday, then the three main days, wrecking party at Apolo on Sunday)

- a fair ticketing system for Apolo

- opposing main stages and an extended VIP area on the side of these as before - can do without VIP area in front of main stages

- move the Primavera stage a little in the exit direction and turn it a little to the VIP area so more space to the left and right plus better view and sound from the VIP (instead of the front places in Mordor)

- bring back Day Pro, especially the Aussie BBQ

- bring back the Firestone Stage or that trailer stage thing instead of wasting space for the radio station or Binance crap and have artists play short, "spontaneous" shows pop-up style like Shellac did once

- rename RayBan to RayBan and Adidas to Adidas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, xxialac said:

I wrote this when feeling a bit emotional about a festival I've loved for so many years and have stood up for it so many times Thought I would review again once the dust had settled.

So...on reflection I don't think Primavera has died. It's still there to be enjoyed. HOWEVER...much of the magic was in the sense of it being just busy enough and this year for the first time the scales have tipped. The site simply cannot comfortably handle so many additional people and yet it is clear they want to sell more tickets, no matter the harm this causes.

It's like infidelity.

The relationship can continue but it's never quite the same again...

I have faith that the complaints / comments will be acknowledged this year, I've never seen a more negative response to an edition of Primavera Sound (even 2011 wasn't this bad) - and with Twitter & other social platforms the customer has a louder voice.

I will say this is the first year I've not had the post Primavera blues, that 2nd Weekend (and 11 nights of drinking) broke me!

Edited by livenstu

2 hours ago, livenstu said:

I have faith that the complaints / comments will be acknowledged this year, I've never seen a more negative response to an edition of Primavera Sound (even 2011 wasn't this bad) - and with Twitter & other social platforms the customer has a louder voice.

I will say this is the first year I've not had the post Primavera blues, that 2nd Weekend (and 11 nights of drinking) broke me!

I hear you but my only complaint that truly hurt my experience was the sale of too many tickets.

Having successfully earned more revenue this year, I cannot imagine a world in which they deliberately sell fewer tickets next year.

And with you on the last point. Can barely do 4 days nowadays so have destroyed myself getting through 11.

I don´t realistically see them selling fewer tickets. Their expansion is quite the adventure and who´s to say that they are going to make money overall there? So going back to make more money where they always made it seems more probable.

However, I do see a problem even here with this venue they picked in Madrid (or not IN Madrid actually, it seems). I was never one to complain about transportation to the city at night but this area looks a loooong way out, no tram, no subway, no regular bus line - do they really expect people to rely on the organisational chaos that Primavera is whenever they try something new? I wouldn´t be surprised if a lot of people that bought early bird tickets don´t because they have serious doubts here.

Or has anyone heard how transportation to this venue may work?

I don't know if I am going to get the ticket blind because of Madrid. How big will they invest in the second weekend? Will it be worth it? In the interview Gabi said that the venue in Madrid is better prepared (I know it's far) and complained about Barcelona local authorities. 

On a side note: I really had a great time, but too many cancellations in wk1, really. 

Edited by Whos3000_

1 hour ago, Whos3000_ said:

I don't know if I am going to get the ticket blind because of Madrid. How big will they invest in the second weekend? Will it be worth it? In the interview Gabi said that the venue in Madrid is better prepared (I know it's far) and complained about Barcelona local authorities.

I wouldn't buy a ticket blind to anything for this without knowing more details about what they're doing with it and what provisions they're putting on. I really doubt it'll sell out quickly so I'd wait a bit, or pick one up on resale.

Worth reflecting that now we know they can sell out enough tickets for a double edition quickly, then they can surely sell out a single edition even more rapidly (I don’t see the international set that makes up the bulk of the crowd nowadays choosing Madrid).

On the other hand there are always resale tickets down the line…

Attending the double weekend was so perfect in theory but almost impossible to enjoy fully the last days. I had to limit myself and missed plenty of shows the last two days that seemed essential. Primavera is such a weird process/experience. Building excitement gradually for nearly a year in advance. Then euphoria especially in the beginning of the fest. Gradually enjoying less during the festivald due to fatigue/being hungover/aching feet. First few days after the festival feeling like I might never wanna go to a festival again. And now I am starting to forget the negative sides and already thinking of buying an early bird ticket for next edition. Best moments of the trip was probably the non music related, like meeting new people and skipping the ciutat shows on the Monday to go for amazing tapas and local wine. Favourite moment at the festival was definitely finally succeeding to get drinks after an hour in queue Thursday W1 and storm off to see the Armed feeling the effect of the alcohol kicking in. 

Favourite shows for me:

Mogwai x 2.

Slowdive at Razzmatazz

King Gizzard at Razzmatazz and Sala Apolo

Iosonouncane

The Armed

Fontaines DC

Idles

The Smile

Carolina Durante

Les Savy Fav at Sala Apolo

Amyl & the Sniffers - would have been even better at a smaller stage. 

The Murder Capital

Plenty of other enjoyable stuff like Rigoberta Bandini, Pond, RBCF, JAMC, Dreamcatcher and Caroline Polachek.

Biggest disappointments for me were The National and Beach House. Both great performances from the bands but way too quiet despite being about 30 meters from the stage. Even Dinosaur Jr was really quiet but that seemed to improve in the end.

Tomorrow I will be back to live music for Big Thief which means that threeway clash with Interpol and Slowdive hurts a little less. 

On 6/20/2022 at 11:02 PM, Olivedal 1904 said:

Attending the double weekend was so perfect in theory but almost impossible to enjoy fully the last days. I had to limit myself and missed plenty of shows the last two days that seemed essential. Primavera is such a weird process/experience. Building excitement gradually for nearly a year in advance. Then euphoria especially in the beginning of the fest. Gradually enjoying less during the festivald due to fatigue/being hungover/aching feet. First few days after the festival feeling like I might never wanna go to a festival again. And now I am starting to forget the negative sides and already thinking of buying an early bird ticket for next edition. Best moments of the trip was probably the non music related, like meeting new people and skipping the ciutat shows on the Monday to go for amazing tapas and local wine. Favourite moment at the festival was definitely finally succeeding to get drinks after an hour in queue Thursday W1 and storm off to see the Armed feeling the effect of the alcohol kicking in. 

Favourite shows for me:

Mogwai x 2.

Slowdive at Razzmatazz

King Gizzard at Razzmatazz and Sala Apolo

Iosonouncane

The Armed

Fontaines DC

Idles

The Smile

Carolina Durante

Les Savy Fav at Sala Apolo

Amyl & the Sniffers - would have been even better at a smaller stage. 

The Murder Capital

Plenty of other enjoyable stuff like Rigoberta Bandini, Pond, RBCF, JAMC, Dreamcatcher and Caroline Polachek.

Biggest disappointments for me were The National and Beach House. Both great performances from the bands but way too quiet despite being about 30 meters from the stage. Even Dinosaur Jr was really quiet but that seemed to improve in the end.

Tomorrow I will be back to live music for Big Thief which means that threeway clash with Interpol and Slowdive hurts a little less. 

Beach House was too quite? Man, I was in front and I almost puked once with earplugs how loud they were lol. 

They had way better sound than Slowdive  in Razzmatazz, Slowdive was more proper for Cupra stage than Razzmatazz.