Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

8 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I wonder how many of the frequent goers will really stop going after this year. I think the line up is still stacked, different and better than all other festivals (in my opinion, and probably theirs too if they keep coming back) that by next year it will all be forgotten.

VIP sells will take the hit I guess, unless they announce they return to the old stages layout

Next year will be my 10th Primavera, I will definitely be here. Yes this year had it‘s flaws, but quality and diversity of the line up are still the very best - and as all the frequent goers, I‘m in for the music. Will also get VIP again no matter what, it still has it‘s advantages (and I‘m getting old).

23 minutes ago, Bram said:

Actually the one that frequently complained (including in this forum) are the loyal tix holders. If you lost that audience, you left with youngsters Dua Lipa, Grimes, Jamie XX type of audience. Far from nice and quiet, good luck

I'm a loyal ticket holder. Been 5 times, all VIP. And I'm a big Jamie XX fan. And I thought PS did a damn great job all things considered (have not seen a better more diverse more comprehensive and more interesting line up anywhere). And i'll be the first one buying a VIP ticket when the early birds go on sale. What does that make me?

18 minutes ago, brosch said:

Next year will be my 10th Primavera, I will definitely be here. Yes this year had it‘s flaws, but quality and diversity of the line up are still the very best - and as all the frequent goers, I‘m in for the music. Will also get VIP again no matter what, it still has it‘s advantages (and I‘m getting old).

It will be my 10th as well! Not sure if Im returning yet, but it would be cool to go one last time to reach some kind of jubileum.

Havent had VIP the last two editions, but I think I will go for VIP if I return.

17 minutes ago, Rhak said:

I live pretty close to Best Kept Secret and my wife likes it as well. Might go for 2023 BKS and back to bcn in 2024 but temptation is there

So how’s BKS compare to PS. i.e: the music, the audience? Is it a camping festival or there’s accommodation available near the fest?

And really keen to know about the  harassment  issues by the security, as well as unfair treatment to the disable people that I read in social media. If it’s turned out to be true, then it’s such a turn off for me. Especially when PS promoting all things related to peace and diversity

• Upvote 2

I think I'm definitely coming back but not next year, partly cos I want them to get the logistics of BCN/MAD practised and polished before I go again, and partly cos of life stuff meaning I'll have less money next year. 

I'm not doing a two weekend festival again tho, I'll be nearly 40 by Primavera 2024 and I might disintegrate. 😂

1 hour ago, Bram said:

Actually the one that frequently complained (including in this forum) are the loyal tix holders. If you lost that audience, you left with youngsters Dua Lipa, Grimes, Jamie XX type of audience. Far from nice and quiet, good luck 🙂

Almost certain my three trips would've made me a loyal ticket holder. Ah well 😜

I'm joking, of course. I just think the social media discourse was funny - you'd swear it was Fyre Fest the way some of it was portrayed. Far from perfect, lots to improve but the entitled shrieking for refunds because an act cancelled or something... Yeesh. Of course I'd rather have seen the Strokes, but there's a real lack of maturity there for some of those people (in particular those on Instagram, really) 

Maybe I'm just settling because I was so glad to be back at a festival. I dunno. 

Anyway, roll on 2023 with dua lipa, Grimes and Jamie xx. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Bram said:

So how’s BKS compare to PS. i.e: the music, the audience? Is it a camping festival or there’s accommodation available near the fest?

- Music: less stages so less clashes but also less of the special stuff (you won't get that pavement or les savy fav one off) / lots of overlap in the normal touring bands though because of the timing  / style wise i'd say less hiphop, trap, reggaeton en heavy techno stuff

- audience: mainly Dutch & Belgians, so don't expect wild scenes but as it's pretty early in the season age group is pretty much like primavera (so not loads of really young kids)

- location: pretty awesome location in a sort of sandy forest near 2 big lakes. Beware of the caterpillars indeed. Other than that the forest gives way to little nooks and cranies with beautiful stuff for decoration. Great food stands. Smoothly organised. 

- accomodation: there's loads of camping, even pre pitched stuff but also some trailer/cabins available (though not a lot) as it's actually on the grounds of a drive through Zoo. It's a touristy region so there's also quite a lot of b&b's in the neighbourhood as well as Tilburg which is only 15min away with the shuttle bus or 30mins by bike (and the dutch have really cycling really well organised). 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Rhak said:

- Music: less stages so less clashes but also less of the special stuff (you won't get that pavement or les savy fav one off) / lots of overlap in the normal touring bands though because of the timing  / style wise i'd say less hiphop, trap, reggaeton en heavy techno stuff

- audience: mainly Dutch & Belgians, so don't expect wild scenes but as it's pretty early in the season age group is pretty much like primavera (so not loads of really young kids)

- location: pretty awesome location in a sort of sandy forest near 2 big lakes. Beware of the caterpillars indeed. Other than that the forest gives way to little nooks and cranies with beautiful stuff for decoration. Great food stands. Smoothly organised. 

- accomodation: there's loads of camping, even pre pitched stuff but also some trailer/cabins available (though not a lot) as it's actually on the grounds of a drive through Zoo. It's a touristy region so there's also quite a lot of b&b's in the neighbourhood as well as Tilburg which is only 15min away with the shuttle bus or 30mins by bike (and the dutch have really cycling really well organised). 

I've done both and this is pretty accurate. Although I loved Primavera this year, I'd like to go back to BKS next year, or just somewhere that isn't as much of a maul as PS was this year. Plus can't understand how little has been made of how expensive the beer was. 

12 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

as a non drinker i was gutted that alcohol free beer was the same price as normal!

Alcohol situation in general was a big turnoff for me. I'm not out to get wrecked these days but I love having a pint of cider at a festival. Even if they'd had cider it would have been a tiny one (and yes I know pints aren't really a big thing in Spain but I have had them in Spain!). Having to drink white wine or spirits instead (they often didn't have red) was a pain in the arse.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DDave said:

I've done both and this is pretty accurate. Although I loved Primavera this year, I'd like to go back to BKS next year, or just somewhere that isn't as much of a maul as PS was this year. Plus can't understand how little has been made of how expensive the beer was. 

I can't imagine BKS being any cheaper whatsoever...

19 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

as a non drinker i was gutted that alcohol free beer was the same price as normal!

I was surprised too but then realized it's the same in bars plus: if I'm not mistaken they actually ask for as much work to produce (there's always an extra process involved). 

When it comes to the size of pints: I always hated it when my buddies bought big ones and they were warm & staleish 3/4ths through. It doesn't have to be a problem when the bars function properly...

Cider is not a popular drink in Spain apart from in Asturias and Basque Country. Even at Bilbao BBK I don’t remember seeing it.

They had it at Primavera before but guess it wasn’t that popular (or conversely that Estrella thought it would reduce beer sales).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rhak said:

I was surprised too but then realized it's the same in bars plus: if I'm not mistaken they actually ask for as much work to produce (there's always an extra process involved). 

they were about half the price in shops. no biggie though in the scheme of thing 

As predicted, they have been letting people into Brunch on the Beach without the Dice ticket.

They needed to put enough people off so they didn't risk turning away angry people at the last minute, even if only a small chance of this as the capacity at the open parts of the forum is still massive.

But are now letting people in now it’s obvious there is plenty of space.

Just now, Rhak said:

I stand corrected, just checked with a buddy currently attending: 3,25€ for a beer...

Which is a whopping 1,25€ cheaper. Wow.

I don't know how things work in Spain but in Belgium/The Netherlands beer brands practically pay so much for the advertising that the beers are almost free for the festival, so the mark up is huge. 

26 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

oh wow yes, they didn’t even have cider did they?

Nope! I knew it was a risk going in, to be fair. But another reason why I much prefer a UK festival!

Primavera was bloody great for the music, but it's just made me realise that I go to music festivals for a lot more than just the music. But that's because I live in London and am in the privileged position of being able to most see bands whenever I like usually. Appreciate for other people that's really not the case.

Some final thoughts on this year's edition, first the negative stuff:

1. 1st day obviously, it really felt like the pause between the festivals was too long and they forgot the basics. And also so much more people got there very early, probably afraid of how long is gonna take to get in with this new access ticket thing - which was actually much smoother than anyone could expect, I would say it was even faster than in previous editions. But the result was too many people everywhere right after they opened the doors, which caused the feeling of it being so overcrowded even though the numbers said otherwise. This massive early arrival fortunately never happened in the following days and the feeling of sun & chill at half empty opening concerts on Cupra stage returned after the first day (to my great pleasure).

2. 1st half of Dua Lipa concert - I felt like this must be some other festival, not Primavera Sound. I've never feel (by far) so much negative crowd energy on Primavera before (or after). And we weren't even that much close to the stage, more like in the middle or Mordor, which was always in the past the ideal place to watch the "less essential" headliners comfortably. Not this time.

3. Covid - not even single day without some cancellation or two (some for the acts I couldn't wait to see for two and a half years). I know this is noone's fault, it's just the new reality we have to adjust to. At one moment I even started to sympathise with the organizers. It really must be fucking hard to react to so many last minute drop outs, and they really tried to fill every single new hole, so when after PinkPantheress was out and they just only moved the start of the programme on that stage to later hour, without adding any new artist, I just felt for them, no hard feelings. So, while covid is here, I really don't expect these numerous secret shows anymore like in the past - every surprise name will be probably used as a replacement.

4. Brunch on the beach - I got the message about the reservations, we talked about it and decided that we don't have to be everywhere just moments before it was sould out. But still, this felt like a big injustice for everyone who was planning to attend it. However, adding 7 more electronic music events for tonight - this seems like they realised their mistake and really did their best to make it right. 

5. Covid again (or what is it - we are still having occassional fevers and whole body - aches, without any other symptoms, so who knows). Having to skip the whole festival day broke my heart. And it was the only day we planned to stay till the morning (we really enjoyed Danny L Harle concert at PS 2019) and also the only day with The Strokes. Thank god, we saw Rigoberta Bandini the 1st weekend.

So to summarise it, I think they can fix the problems no. 1 and 4. easily in the next edition. Problems no. 3 and 5. are beyond their control, it's on us to adjust to this new reality. So I'm only worried about problem no. 2 - and I think it might be solved partially by more crowd control. They learned how to do it at Binance stage (Angėle was packed and stil the smooth entrance/exit to the stage was maintained by the security for the whole show) - they just have to think bigger for Mordor. But, how to solve people being dicks, I'm without ideas for this one.

And none of the above is reason enough not to come back in 2023. But definitely only for the Barcelona part. So I hope the line-ups will be as similar as possible, something like with South America Primaveras. If they are as different as this year, it will be so much harder to resist to do both weekends. BUT I HAVE TO BE STRONG.

39 minutes ago, Rhak said:

Which is a whopping 1,25€ cheaper. Wow.

I don't know how things work in Spain but in Belgium/The Netherlands beer brands practically pay so much for the advertising that the beers are almost free for the festival, so the mark up is huge. 

Ok. Sorry to keep coming back to this but I had a look at my old bks cupss and I think this is for 25cl instead of 33cl at PS. So probably not that much of a difference. Also small beers to the islanders tastes 😅

Edited by Rhak