Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

2 hours ago, rzwodezwo said:

Am I the only one who didn’t feel like they oversold?

I think the issues were mostly with poor crowd control and the big sound tent / bar area on Mordor that creates bottlenecks on the side. It never felt to me like there were too many people in the site overall.

> Just saying - do this in the US and risk getting sued in ways they cannot imagine in their catalonian feel-good-bubble.

lmao chill

This. It was busy, but no busier than any other main stage act, or front of the o2.

Still 15 minutes to go but DJ Seinfeld crowd surprisingly sparse so far. Maybe I’m overestimating his popularity….

Watched half an hour of Megan and thought she was great. High energy, all bangers. Had to tear myself away to make it over to Cupra (although in hindsight, could’ve stayed longer as no problem with crowds over here)z

Fred again, Jay Electronica, Tyler, Danny L Harle and Dua were my favourites.

This has been my first PS so cant tell about past ones but comparing against other festivals it feels well organized and not too oversold. I didn't have any issues or see any trouble. There are some bottlenecks when leaving main stages but you get the same in pretty much any other major festival. Btw, I read that W1 had 220k people and W2 240k. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, yaniv297 said:

There's obvious crowd management issues - for me I think the big WTF decision was not having any sort of barrier between the two stages - but there's a definite advantage of being able to enjoy the other stage while waiting for a show in the first one.

Putting a barrier would completely ruin it. The best thing for me at this layout was to catch a good spot upfront on the inner side of the stages, and then you only need to shift 20-30 meters to the other side and you have a great spot for the next show. This, along with not being miles away from the other stage if you come early for a show, is the best thing about this layout.

and the fact that they can't put VIP pit upfront with it is a great bonus

12 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Putting a barrier would completely ruin it. The best thing for me at this layout was to catch a good spot upfront on the inner side of the stages, and then you only need to shift 20-30 meters to the other side and you have a great spot for the next show. This, along with not being miles away from the other stage if you come early for a show, is the best thing about this layout.

and the fact that they can't put VIP pit upfront with it is a great bonus

I get that but you can’t have it all I think. Still think that the vip area doesn’t function well enough as a safety barrier and there’s potentially a risk there. You’d still get a pretty nice view from the other side (they’d need to close curtains though). 

I wonder if we’d be talking this much about the busy festival or overselling it if w1 night 1 was organised like the other nights. I just realised I tend to skip Main stage at Pukkelpop a lot because of crowds (and generally more interested in the undercard). 

10 days over now.  Unfortunately, my 10th year wasn't quite as magical as I expected.  Next to the End of the Road, the Primavera was always the festival that appealed to me the most.  Unfortunately everything was already very chaotic.  I had a VIP for the first weekend and the normal ticket for the second weekend.  unfortunately only found out yesterday that I still came through all VIP entrances.  I'll see if I can do it again next year.

Edited by Aguycalledpat0815

After the involuntary day off, I got back some stamina, so I managed to start the day right from the beginning.

Genesis Owusu - musically not that interesting for me, but I have to admit he's a talented performer who managed to completely mesmerise the (not that big) audience. Very good show.

When he said, he was first time in Spain, I just realised, that I heard this several times during the festival (but I only remember now Beach Bunny saying they were playing in Europe for the very first time). Then these Pavement and Yeah Yeah Yeahs exclusive shows. This is what I love about Primavera, this kind of out-of-the-box bookings (now also Dreamcatcher comes to mind).

I even managed a one-off trip to Mordor, even though I planned to walk as little as possible, but it was very worth it. Yeah Yeah Yeahs were great. I enjoyed them from quite far away, but the atmosphere there was very nice and relaxed. It also seemed on the cameras that people in the front are having a good time (but from what I read here, the cameras people probably just know how to do their jobs).

Then came Angėle and I wouldn't say the amount of people there was caused by the lack of other options. She had a massive amount of hardcore fans there who seemed to be on the festival specifically to see her (not like RBCF audience, which seemed like they are just killing time waiting for something better later in the evening to come; even the band acknowledged it - "so, not a party time yet?" or something like that, which I found very funny). Angėle was the highlight of the day for me, although during her concert I started to feel like it's bedtime again.

I managed to stay for Jessie Ware, but I couldn't properly enjoy it anymore.

So, no goodbye party of any kind for me tonight, I'm oficially done. But for anyone who has still some energy left, enjoy it tonight!

And one more thing on Dua Lipa. I completely agree it was surgically precise performance with little to no space for improvisation. But on 12 days long festival, I'm happy to enjoy this kind of "staged" shows with high production values as well as totally improvised performances like the one from Les Savy Fav (at the beginning of the concert the singer himself probably didn't know half the things he was going to do during their performance, or at least it seemed that way). So, let's hope Primavera never loses their unbelievable diversity, that's why their line-up is constantly the best in the world.

My two cents - what a great weekend, my first Primavera. I went to W2 with a small element of trepidation, due to the well documented issues. In all honesty, I didn't find the crowds too bad, where we were we didn't experience any of the feared overcrowding that the extra Strokes day ticketers might bring, in particular. We found that if you got to the front via the walkway on the left hand side, it was quite easy to get a decent spot quite close without causing any issues for anyone. There seemed to be a bottleneck in the main stage field where that huge viewing platform is (with the bars underneath) and the WCs on the left hand side. Once you worked through that, in our experience it was ok. 

Absolutely perfect weather, that sea breeze is a life saver, it's so good to be in shorts and a t-shirt, day and night. Loved the layout, although that walk to Bits is a mission! 😂

Loads of interesting stages and lovely places to chill by the sea front. Great vibe on the Dice Stage, my favourite. Boiler Room was loads of fun, the sound in there and atmosphere was on point. 

Super quick to get in every day, never used any of the motor transport to get home, the queues seemed huge, so we gave that a swerve. Either walked back or got a bike taxi. 

Food options were ok for me (vegan) but not spectacular, that huge food court was an eye opener. 

Highlights were Prospa, the utterly transcendent Fred Again, Run The Jewels, even The Strokes managed more engagement in one show than the previous three times I've seen them. Loads of other good stuff over the weekend.

It felt like a really inclusive festival, a safe space for people to express themselves, which is what it should be about. I think we're witnessing a moustache renaissance! 😂

Downsides for me, by the end of the weekend, the toilets were in a right tangle, a lot of sinks out of water and I never found any soap or sanitizer in the dispensers from Thursday onwards. Labour shortages or cost cutting? Another festival that fails to address the shortage of facilities for females, too. I hate to think how much time women have to waste, waiting for a free WC. 

All-in-all though, I really enjoyed it. Beautiful city, nice setting, good atmosphere, music was great. Would definitely return for the right lineup. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

It's interesting hearing so many mixed feelings on the festival.

I'm in the camp of... that was probably my favourite festival I've ever been to.

It doesn't quite have the magic of Glastonbury but by being condensed it's more a lot more forgiving and the hotel festival experience will be difficult for me to go back from.

Even with the cancellations there was so much to see. Such a wide range of acts, I could be seeing a hardcore act one second and then a dream pop duo the next.

The bits area is so unexpectedly nice as well. There's not hoards of people down there and it's so nice to have the option to just chill on the beach with an Aperol Spritz whenever.

100% want to try and go back next year.

• Upvote 1

At the airport now (T2 - almost no queues, spent 5 min to get through security). Lots of thoughts regarding this years edition, but all in all I ended up liking it a lot! Spent more time at the main stages than I planned. On Friday I started to like the stages next to each other, and come  Saturday I liked it even more than the old arrangement. Thursday was not great though, with the sound being way too low, and too many Dua Lipa fans talking being annoying during Interpol and Gorillaz. It was also the only concert where I felt it being too crowded at Mordor.

Phoenix btw.. holy hell that was fun! The crowd was amazing, the band even better.  Perfect ending to the festival for me (too tired for DJ Coco this year 😔).

Edited by pne094

Glad to read so many positive reviews this morning. I'm certainly wondering if I made the right weekend choice with so many great sets on weekend two but that's just my envy watching from home. 

It wasn't perfect but it certainly seemed to improve as it went along and that gives me a lot of hope for next year. 

Plus, if all the reddit and Instagram commenters who say they'll "never go again to the worst festival ever" actually don't go, it should be nice and quiet 😅

5 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Glad to read so many positive reviews this morning. I'm certainly wondering if I made the right weekend choice with so many great sets on weekend two but that's just my envy watching from home. 

It wasn't perfect but it certainly seemed to improve as it went along and that gives me a lot of hope for next year. 

Plus, if all the reddit and Instagram commenters who say they'll "never go again to the worst festival ever" actually don't go, it should be nice and quiet 😅

Actually the one that frequently complained (including in this forum) are the loyal tix holders. If you lost that audience, you left with youngsters Dua Lipa, Grimes, Jamie XX type of audience. Far from nice and quiet, good luck 🙂

Glad you guys all enjoyed it. W1 definitely improved after day one but it just wasn't really for me overall. I loved the music I saw and it was nice to try something new, but I think this was probably my only Primavera outing. I've been pretty negative about it but I'm genuinely happy that people had a better experience than it first seemed they would.

7 minutes ago, Bram said:

Actually the one that frequently complained (including in this forum) are the loyal tix holders. If you lost that audience, you left with youngsters Dua Lipa, Grimes, Jamie XX type of audience. Far from nice and quiet, good luck 🙂

I wonder how many of the frequent goers will really stop going after this year. I think the line up is still stacked, different and better than all other festivals (in my opinion, and probably theirs too if they keep coming back) that by next year it will all be forgotten.

VIP sells will take the hit I guess, unless they announce they return to the old stages layout