Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

2 minutes ago, Fnmentaluk said:

I'm giving them till midnight to announce a surprise then I'm off , surely they need to  would announce a surprise. Soon To give people a chance to get to main or over to bits. Or where ever it is

Tbh if its not Radiohead or Bjork (I'm fully aware its not) then I'm leaving after Jessie Ware.

Cba at this point 

1 hour ago, Chilly Toad said:

Said "thank you, Primavera" before, let me state that this is for the music mainly. In that regard, the first weekend was great for me. As a positive, they also managed to work out some problems after that Thursday.

Being home with Corona now (who of the first-weekenders isn´t, by the way?), I would also mention some negatives.

VIP tickets were a scam in my opinion. I understand everyone who says they shouldn´t exist at all, but if they do offer them, there should be some significant advantage for the significantly higher price. What did VIP-holders get? No more access to the front of the stage. An area called "front of the house" or something where, while watching the shows and enjoying the admittedly good sound, you mingle with the people waiting in line at the (too few) toilets. Another, huge, area with a view of a big screen, but not of a stage (and with very suspect toilets). Way too few seats, tables etc. there  to be really comfortable. Why didn´t they keep this stand at the sideline as before, it was always a perfect place to relax and still see the main stages from not so close. The other VIP area with mediocre view and worse sound than the years before (when it wasn´t good to begin with). Access to Sala Apolo on Sunday was easy with the VIP wristband, however.

The perks for holding on to your tickets = giving Primavera considerable credit and financial wiggle room for years? The ugliest Pull&Bear merch shirt imaginable, the privilege of looking at a "book" on your computer screen and money to spend that I simply wasn´t able to spend wherever I tried - and I did try at the right places until I gave up. Really a joke.

I didn´t understand the need for the new stage setting at Mordor, and didn´t like it. I also didn´t understand this Boiler Room thing being so close to Plenitude. Whenever the music on Plenitude wasn´t full throttle, you heard the Boiler Room. Why not have this stage in the BITS area, where the music would fit way better anyway?

Most probably massively oversold; incredibly, almost amateurishly unable to properly organize the amount of people they had to expect coming (not so difficult, one per ticket was quite probable, right?). Ridiculous security situation at the main stages and on the Binance stage. No wave breakers, too few and disinterested security personnel, some simply watching the bands and every five minutes looking to their left and right. The water. The bars. The hygiene. Just saying - do this in the US and risk getting sued in ways they cannot imagine in their catalonian feel-good-bubble. Do they realize this at all? I do think a lot of what they got away with all these years and what honestly made the festival so loveable was a result of the local government being very lenient, including tax breaks.

Still, the music was superb as always. If they do a good job of working out the problems, mainly the oversell and safety, AND communicate this early, clearly and transparently, I´d be back (pending the Corona situation, of course). Communications being what they are with Primavera, that will be quite a task for them.

Am I the only one who didn’t feel like they oversold?

I think the issues were mostly with poor crowd control and the big sound tent / bar area on Mordor that creates bottlenecks on the side. It never felt to me like there were too many people in the site overall.

> Just saying - do this in the US and risk getting sued in ways they cannot imagine in their catalonian feel-good-bubble.

lmao chill

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

I think the issues were mostly with poor crowd control and the big sound tent / bar area on Mordor that creates bottlenecks on the side. It never felt to me like there were too many people in the site overall.

> Just saying - do this in the US and risk getting sued in ways they cannot imagine in their catalonian feel-good-bubble.

lmao chill

Lol did you attend the festival?!?

Edited by spoiledff7

32 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Well, the big obvious advantage would be being able to enjoy shows at both stages? For example Fontaines->Beck->National, I was at the Fontaines/National stage. In the old addition I wouldn't be able to see or hear anything that was going on at Beck (even the screens didn't show the other stage), but now I was able to watch Beck do his thing while waiting for the National.

There's obvious crowd management issues - for me I think the big WTF decision was not having any sort of barrier between the two stages - but there's a definite advantage of being able to enjoy the other stage while waiting for a show in the first one.

100% I like this setup better too. Just wish they would get rid of the big bar tents and install proper barriers.

1 minute ago, spoiledff7 said:

And how many times before this? I mean - that shouldn’t matter - it was clearly laughably oversold on the first Thursday but I’m curious

Third time this year. I’ve also done Glasto multiple times and other festivals.

I’m not saying that there weren’t issues, there clearly were, but the overall amount of people wasn’t one of them for me.

1 minute ago, spoiledff7 said:

And how many times before this? I mean - that shouldn’t matter - it was clearly laughably oversold on the first Thursday but I’m curious

That was a weird day felt really full , but according to primaveras figures was the quietest day of festival , was better every day after that

12 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

lmao chill

Completely agree with the mordor point. The crowds have been enormous for some of the acts, but what else is there to be expected for acts like Tame Impala and Dua Lipa? 

Even The Smile and Disclosure at Cupra were consistently being referenced here as some sort of potential death traps, and they transpired to be absolutely fine. We ran to Disclosure and got a great spot just 5 mins before they came on - we missed the first 2 songs of The Smile, and still managed to find big gaps! 

It was busy, but it's a festival with an incredible lineup featuring some of the most popular acts on Earth. Planning a little ahead and getting to acts ~15-30~ mins early (not always possible, I know) was all we needed for both weekends

Edited by JayDiesel

37 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Well, the big obvious advantage would be being able to enjoy shows at both stages? For example Fontaines->Beck->National, I was at the Fontaines/National stage. In the old addition I wouldn't be able to see or hear anything that was going on at Beck (even the screens didn't show the other stage), but now I was able to watch Beck do his thing while waiting for the National.

There's obvious crowd management issues - for me I think the big WTF decision was not having any sort of barrier between the two stages - but there's a definite advantage of being able to enjoy the other stage while waiting for a show in the first one.

But couldn´t you have had a very good place at Fontaines DC, a decent place at Beck and a pretty good place for The National before, too? Okay, that would have required some walking and maybe leaving strategically early and missing a little bit at the end if you really wanted a good place at a specific stage.

Also, I thought that they did show the opposite show on the screens in the last edition, but I might be wrong. They could have without a problem, anyhow.

I actually found the stage working going on at the neighbouring stage rather irritating.

Mogwai to close my festival days. This year was such a rollercoaster emotion. The lineup was superb, but Primavera for me is more than the music itself, i.e: comfort, easy, chill audience who obsessed about the music performance rather than getting wasted or cooked up.

Sadly, I can’t feel this elements in 2022, probably because overcrowded, side by side main stage, bad management or whatever. 

Hopefully, there’s a significant change in 2023, but I can feel that their moving into different direction than the old Primavera. 

Nevertheless, it’s been fun weeks after no good live gigs for more than 2 years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

But couldn´t you have had a very good place at Fontaines DC, a decent place at Beck and a pretty good place for The National before, too? Okay, that would have required some walking and maybe leaving strategically early and missing a little bit at the end if you really wanted a good place at a specific stage.

Also, I thought that they did show the opposite show on the screens in the last edition, but I might be wrong. They could have without a problem, anyhow.

I actually found the stage working going on at the neighbouring stage rather irritating.

Hmm no? Maybe? I don't know? I guess you could have got a decent middle spot for National, but surely not a really great one. Maybe I'm just over anxious about those things, but usually I wouldn't want to take those risks.

In 2016, it was Brian Wilson -> Deerhunter -> PJ Harvey (what a run damn, Sigur Ros after too), I was doine Wilson and PJ and I remember being quite irritated at having to miss Deerhunter. I had a good spot for Brian Wilson, and with the crowd leaving I was able to march forward get a great spot for PJ Harvey - first 3-4 rows - no way I could have seen Deerhunter and still got this spot.

I was at a different festival with side by side stages (Osheaga in Montreal) but they had a significant barrier and security corridor between them, and it was absolutely great. No crowd management issues and you're able to comfortably watch the other stage while waiting for a show. I really thing a barrier/corridor would have fixed this mess.

Edited by yaniv297

1 hour ago, Chilly Toad said:

Why?

Because I never felt it to be overcrowded wherever I was, had a good view most of the time and the visuals/screeens were great, particularly for Caribou and Tame.

Last went in 2016 and even the view for the screen for Radiohead was shit so was great in comparison, never mind the view for the stage itself

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Jessie Ware was the set of both weekends for me.

So relentless, so much joy.

Yeah really fucking good. Wasn’t expecting her crowd to be so big but I guess Phoenix aren’t really too much competition. Her new album is all bangers and she really gave it her all. What a great set.