Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

This ‘double stage’ concept is the worst thing I have ever seen in live music.

If you find yourself on the ‘wrong side’ you are surrounded by people who couldn't give a shit about who is playing and are literally waiting for the next act. Zero atmosphere and Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs are treated like a pub warm up act.

Absolutely fuming!

• Upvote 7

Said "thank you, Primavera" before, let me state that this is for the music mainly. In that regard, the first weekend was great for me. As a positive, they also managed to work out some problems after that Thursday.

Being home with Corona now (who of the first-weekenders isn´t, by the way?), I would also mention some negatives.

VIP tickets were a scam in my opinion. I understand everyone who says they shouldn´t exist at all, but if they do offer them, there should be some significant advantage for the significantly higher price. What did VIP-holders get? No more access to the front of the stage. An area called "front of the house" or something where, while watching the shows and enjoying the admittedly good sound, you mingle with the people waiting in line at the (too few) toilets. Another, huge, area with a view of a big screen, but not of a stage (and with very suspect toilets). Way too few seats, tables etc. there  to be really comfortable. Why didn´t they keep this stand at the sideline as before, it was always a perfect place to relax and still see the main stages from not so close. The other VIP area with mediocre view and worse sound than the years before (when it wasn´t good to begin with). Access to Sala Apolo on Sunday was easy with the VIP wristband, however.

The perks for holding on to your tickets = giving Primavera considerable credit and financial wiggle room for years? The ugliest Pull&Bear merch shirt imaginable, the privilege of looking at a "book" on your computer screen and money to spend that I simply wasn´t able to spend wherever I tried - and I did try at the right places until I gave up. Really a joke.

I didn´t understand the need for the new stage setting at Mordor, and didn´t like it. I also didn´t understand this Boiler Room thing being so close to Plenitude. Whenever the music on Plenitude wasn´t full throttle, you heard the Boiler Room. Why not have this stage in the BITS area, where the music would fit way better anyway?

Most probably massively oversold; incredibly, almost amateurishly unable to properly organize the amount of people they had to expect coming (not so difficult, one per ticket was quite probable, right?). Ridiculous security situation at the main stages and on the Binance stage. No wave breakers, too few and disinterested security personnel, some simply watching the bands and every five minutes looking to their left and right. The water. The bars. The hygiene. Just saying - do this in the US and risk getting sued in ways they cannot imagine in their catalonian feel-good-bubble. Do they realize this at all? I do think a lot of what they got away with all these years and what honestly made the festival so loveable was a result of the local government being very lenient, including tax breaks.

Still, the music was superb as always. If they do a good job of working out the problems, mainly the oversell and safety, AND communicate this early, clearly and transparently, I´d be back (pending the Corona situation, of course). Communications being what they are with Primavera, that will be quite a task for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

This ‘double stage’ concept is the worst thing I have ever seen in live music.

If you find yourself on the ‘wrong side’ you are surrounded by people who couldn't give a shit about who is playing and are literally waiting for the next act. Zero atmosphere and Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs are treated like a pub warm up act.

Absolutely fuming!

I found the double main stage to be really, really good (W1) would definitely do it again

17 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Why?

Well, the big obvious advantage would be being able to enjoy shows at both stages? For example Fontaines->Beck->National, I was at the Fontaines/National stage. In the old addition I wouldn't be able to see or hear anything that was going on at Beck (even the screens didn't show the other stage), but now I was able to watch Beck do his thing while waiting for the National.

There's obvious crowd management issues - for me I think the big WTF decision was not having any sort of barrier between the two stages - but there's a definite advantage of being able to enjoy the other stage while waiting for a show in the first one.