Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

1 hour ago, Lubic87 said:

Back home in rainy England. Had a really great week which has flown by, though can't believe I spent my last evening queueing 4/5 hours for Interpol (and not getting in). Madness. Did manage to see Slowdive, Shame and Wet Leg though, and met some great people in the queues while having a few beers, which made it a more enjoyable experience.

But yeah, the midweek gigs were more stressful than needed, especially given they were the main reason many of us stayed for the full week. Definitely need some serious re-assessment in the future.  The shuttle buses to Placa de Catalunya were also uncomfortable experiences, and while our hotel location was generally good, I would be keen to avoid having to use them again in the future. Obviously echo people's comments about the Thurs, mainly the bar situation. Once this was sorted, and we'd sussed the main toilet points/sinks, things were much improved.

Act-wise, was disappointed to miss out on The Strokes (as well as The National and Interpol) but enjoyed pretty much everyone I saw. Beach House, Slowdive, Warpaint, Fontaines, Les Savy Fav, Shame, Let's Eat Grandma (even with the tech issues) were all excellent and Nick Cave brought a tear to the eye despite being mostly unfamiliar with his work. And fair play to Porridge Radio for still putting the effort in to turn up when her band were unable to.

The crowds on the Thurs meant I adjusted my plans a little and focused on my main acts, while the lineup ended up falling so I didn't have to spend a lot of time navigating the Mordor crowds, which I didn't mind at all. Binance in particular seemed to become my 'main stage'. Bits was a nice area but only got a chance to go there once - they definitely should do more to attract people to take that long walk over there without the bridge.

Overall I would hapily go again, depending on the lineup. Though my friends and a few of the people I chatted to might need a bit more convincing the organisational issues have been sorted. Enjoy weekend 2 - wish I was there!

They have done more to make people go over to bits today anyway , put king gizz over plus moved 2 many DJs to play after Charli

A week ago I was complaining about lack of water, shocking organization and was feeling pretty bad about Primavera in general. Now I'm so jealous of everyone who's still in there. Definitely turned it around for me.

I think W1 lineup is way, way better than W2 - in a way, it was a bit too good for me. So many amazing artists everywhere, and with at least 1 can't-miss artist per day, it was quite stressful at times to get good spots (especially with the overbooking), plan strategies, etc. I only caught one set by "chance" - Tim Burgess - and loved it. Would love to do W2 where I don't like the lineup nearly as much and would be free to walk around, chill, explore without worrying about my spot. Also, Squid -> Ride -> Slowdive -> Metronomy sounds like a dream.

Also I'm not really sure what's the outcry on the Sunday brunch thing? I wish all Ciutat shows were allocated in advance so people won't have to queue hours (and often not get in).

Edited by yaniv297

13 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

A week ago I was complaining about lack of water, shocking organization and was feeling pretty bad about Primavera in general. Now I'm so jealous of everyone who's still in there. Definitely turned it around for me.

I think W1 lineup is way, way better than W2 - in a way, it was a bit too good for me. So many amazing artists everywhere, and with at least 1 can't-miss artist per day, it was quite stressful at times to get good spots (especially with the overbooking), plan strategies, etc. I only caught one set by "chance" - Tim Burgess - and loved it. Would love to do W2 where I don't like the lineup nearly as much and would be free to walk around, chill, explore without worrying about my spot. Also, Squid -> Ride -> Slowdive -> Metronomy sounds like a dream.

Also I'm not really sure what's the outcry on the Sunday brunch thing? I wish all Ciutat shows were allocated in advance so people won't have to queue hours (and often not get in).

It's because (like the ciutat shows) they made it sound like it would be available to all when selling the tickets. Lack of transparency or bad planning, leaves a bad taste either way.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's because (like the ciutat shows) they made it sound like it would be available to all when selling the tickets. Lack of transparency or bad planning, leaves a bad taste either way.

I don't know about the brunch, I was never going to attend w2 so I didn't really bother following. But as for ciutat shows, they're indoor venues and obviously they have a capacity. It was known in advance. I admit that the length of queues (and how difficult it was to get in) was very surprising to me, but still, it was clear that capacity will be limited.

4 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

I don't know about the brunch, I was never going to attend w2 so I didn't really bother following. But as for ciutat shows, they're indoor venues and obviously they have a capacity. It was known in advance. I admit that the length of queues (and how difficult it was to get in) was very surprising to me, but still, it was clear that capacity will be limited.

I've never been to Barcelona or the venues so assumed it would be possible to get into the gig I was told was part of the ticket I paid for, especially after queuing two hours. I'd have preferred them to say this is a perk for VIPs and W1/W2 as it pretty much was. Stupid of me to believe them I see now!

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've never been to Barcelona or the venues so assumed it would be possible to get into the gig I was told was part of the ticket I paid for, especially after queuing two hours. I'd have preferred them to say this is a perk for VIPs and W1/W2 as it pretty much was. Stupid of me to believe them I see now!

Yeah as I said the queues were much longer than expected, it was never this hard to get in previous years unless it was a really big band. It all comes down to overcrowding the festival. But still, it was never a guarantee.

Just now, yaniv297 said:

Yeah as I said the queues were much longer than expected, it was never this hard to get in previous years unless it was a really big band. It all comes down to overcrowding the festival. But still, it was never a guarantee.

No I get that. I just felt that the whole thing was handled badly. And tbh just didn't like the festival that much anyway so I'm not predisposed to forgive them this stuff!

10 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

I think we are all aware that the space is limited. And I have experience queueing for a big act in Sala Apolo for Brian Jonestown. But the massive queue right now was happened in almost all of the Ciutat gig regardless of the performer, while in the past I have no trouble entering  Sala Apolo for performance like Bieyi, SG Lewis, Sea and Cake, the Beths, Torres etc etc. Somehow it shows that this year that PS oversell  the ticket with a “marketing promise” that at least the tix holder able to see one of the Ciutat performer. 

I highly understand the massive disappointment of the tix holder. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

No I get that. I just felt that the whole thing was handled badly. And tbh just didn't like the festival that much anyway so I'm not predisposed to forgive them this stuff!

How did you have an opinion one way or the other of the festival if you’d never been?

They fucked up on the brunch thing I agree (though as I’ve said I’m sure if people arrive for 5pm you’ll still get in) but for Ciutat they clearly wrote in their communications “The capacity of all concerts will be subject to the capacity of the respective venues.”

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fair, I'd definitely admit the festival wasn't as magical as the previous editions I've attended (2015, 2016) despite having the best lineup of the three IMO. Mostly because it was overcrowded and just a lot less chill than usual. It's a shame, but even this new version of Primavera is still better than 99% of the festivals I know of, especially if I don't want to camp. The lineups are just amazing, the weather, the city, etc. Yeah Glastonbury's better, but most of us have zero hopes of ever getting a ticket (I did actually attend Glasto once when my band played in it - I'm pretty sure that for an outsider like me, it's easier to get on the lineup than to actually buy a ticket). 

Just now, xxialac said:

How did you have an opinion one way or the other of the festival if you’d never been?

They fucked up on the brunch thing I agree (though as I’ve said I’m sure if people arrive for 5pm you’ll still get in) but for Ciutat they clearly wrote in their communications “The capacity of all concerts will be subject to the capacity of the respective venues.”

Sorry, I mean now. Probably badly worded. I mean I don't feel inclined to forgive them now as I wasn't a big fan of the whole festival. People who love it will always defend it more. 

I was told by people here it would be fairly easy to get in for the shows so I assumed if I turned up early enough I would. Silly me! 

Not the hugest deal in the world, but I just feel they weren't that honest about the possibility of getting in to them.

We will just go round and round anyway... 

1 minute ago, yaniv297 said:

Fair, I'd definitely admit the festival wasn't as magical as the previous editions I've attended (2015, 2016) despite having the best lineup of the three IMO. Mostly because it was overcrowded and just a lot less chill than usual. It's a shame, but even this new version of Primavera is still better than 99% of the festivals I know of, especially if I don't want to camp. The lineups are just amazing, the weather, the city, etc. Yeah Glastonbury's better, but most of us have zero hopes of ever getting a ticket (I did actually attend Glasto once when my band played in it - I'm pretty sure that for an outsider like me, it's easier to get on the lineup than to actually buy a ticket). 

I've preferred every other festival I've been to and I've been to quite a few. But sometimes you just don't gel with a place and that's clearly what's happened for me.

This thread should be for people having a lovely time anyway, so I should probably back off!

Enjoy all!

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've preferred every other festival I've been to and I've been to quite a few. But sometimes you just don't gel with a place and that's clearly what's happened for me.

This thread should be for people having a lovely time anyway, so I should probably back off!

Enjoy all!

Nah you’re good. Everyone got their own opinion. I’ve been to PS since 2013, and eventho I still have a good time at the fest, it felt different and (way) less magical compare to the previous year. Would appreciate, if you have any opinion on other good festival that I can visit (non camping one).

Edited by Bram

1 minute ago, Bram said:

Probably PS is become a bigger festival than ky

Nah you’re good. Everyone got their own opinion. I’ve been to PS since 2013, and eventho I still have a good time at the fest, it felt different and (way) less magical compare to the previous year. Would appreciate, if you have any opinion on other good festival that I can visit (non camping one).

Cheers! To be honest I've only really done camping ones so can't help with suggestions. This was my first that wasn't (unless you count day festivals in London like All Points East etc). Which obviously shows for one thing that I prefer camping whereas for a lot of people the non-camping aspect of Primavera is a big draw.

Just got back today and was going to post this anyway but my tip for avoiding crowds or queues is to detour to the Sona bit.

Only originally went to use it as a shortcut but thought it was a nice spot to escape the big stages, although it was so weird you had to walk through the dark to get there from the main stages - know it’s a massive area but some parts seem completely forgotten about?

Still, I had a great time (especially with National, Tyler and Nick Cave) but would probably only return with the right line-up rather than a yearly event. 

34 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Sorry, I mean now. Probably badly worded. I mean I don't feel inclined to forgive them now as I wasn't a big fan of the whole festival. People who love it will always defend it more. 

I was told by people here it would be fairly easy to get in for the shows so I assumed if I turned up early enough I would. Silly me! 

Not the hugest deal in the world, but I just feel they weren't that honest about the possibility of getting in to them.

We will just go round and round anyway... 

Ah, apologies and actually partly my fault too.

Has always been pretty easy to get into (admittedly much smaller scale) Ciutat gigs and thought trend would continue.

I thought I knew Primavera but this year has turned everything on its head.

Not saying the magic has died but massive problems that didn’t exist before, primarily a bucket load more people.

Just now, xxialac said:

Ah, apologies and actually partly my fault too.

Has always been pretty easy to get into (admittedly much smaller scale) Ciutat gigs and thought trend would continue.

I thought I knew Primavera but this year has turned everything on its head.

Not saying the magic has died but massive problems that didn’t exist before, primarily a bucket load more people.

Fair dos. I'm happy that people still love it despite the issues and I definitely enjoyed all the bands I saw.