Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

This is my 14th and though I agree with you to some extent, it’s the only time it’s been like this. I wrote on here that there were bound to be teething problems in weekend one, given so many covid related issues.

A one off or blueprint for future?

Who knows…

dunno man, i respect your experience and this is only my 6th - but the beatles would have to reform to bring me back. 

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

This is my 14th and though I agree with you to some extent, it’s the only time it’s been like this. I wrote on here that there were bound to be teething problems in weekend one, given so many covid related issues.

Who knows…

2 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

dunno man, i respect your experience and this is only my 6th - but the beatles would have to reform to bring me back. 

Perhaps I've just been unlucky, but it would feel a huge risk to try again. It's bloody expensive when you factor in flights etc.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Perhaps I've just been unlucky, but it would feel a huge risk to try again. It's bloody expensive when you factor in flights etc.

Of course it definitely adds up to a lot, albeit flights from UK were a lot more this year than normal.

Interesting to see if they can find the winning formula again next year. Guys, here’s a tip, use the winning formula of all the previous editions!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You were unlucky and it's really annoying for long-time attendees like me to see first-timers have this sort of experience, because the festival has been great in the past. But ultimately it's not a random fluke – they have hugely oversold this edition and there's deep structural problems with the capacity, programming, the site and the organisation itself that now need addressing because of the increase in people and needs around communication (and preferably acknowledged publicly before they try to sell tickets for next year).

A lot of the problems this year aren't just covid-y hangover stuff, and it pains me to say I'm not sure if that'll be turned around or changed by next year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

You were unlucky and it's really annoying for long-time attendees like me to see first-timers have this sort of experience, because the festival has been great in the past. But ultimately it's not a random fluke – they have hugely oversold this edition and there's deep structural problems with the capacity, programming, the site and the organisation itself that now need addressing because of the increase in people and needs around communication (and preferably acknowledged publicly before they try to sell tickets for next year).

A lot of the problems this year aren't just covid-y hangover stuff, and it pains me to say I'm not sure if that'll be turned around or changed by next year.

Yeah, I expected to fall in love with it as had heard such great things. I loved the bands I saw, but ultimately I am disappointed.

I would at the very least wait to see what people say about 2023 before thinking about going back. But as a one-off in a year I don't have Glasto tickets, it was a great line-up and a decent enough alternative.

The only way to solve a lot of these ciutat/brunch problems is to raffle. You register if interested. They can prioritise vip/w1-w2 holders up to a certain percentage and then the raffle starts. But communicated well in advance and not on the day

My fourth Primavera.. Unless they book some huge must see exclusive acts.. like a Pulp reunion, Sonic Youth, ect… I also feel like this may be my last for a while. They’ve sold out. Completely overbooked and they’ve sacrificed the experience in order to make more money and to expand. There’s no indication that they’re gonna scale back and go to anything resembling 2019 or before. Nothing has been thought out.. some of the practices (brunch on the beach in particular) seem almost like fraud to me. I’m sure there’s something in their T&Cs where they could argue their way to it… but with the VIP scale back, the city gigs, the overcrowding, the complete disregard for sanitation during a pandemic, access ticket and the lack of options to resell if you caught covid or whatever.. just becoming less and less fun 

They clearly took on more than they could chew with the two weekend extravaganza. This on top of having to reignite the whole complex infrastructure of a festival of this scale after tw years + corona caused the cracks. I might be naive, but I have no doubt next year it will run way way smoother. In any event, from a music perspective, nothing comes close and for me (and the ten people crew I went with), that's the ultimate priority. Bring on PS 2023!💥

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Who knows…

It’s my 9th and it was the very best, always, so I truly hope it is a one off. We’ll see next year, I’m in. See you all later at Gorillaz 

• Upvote 1

Just on the brunch situation - they're responding to people on Instagram saying this was never the plan but they were "requested" to do it by the authorities to minimise queues and congestion. 

Id say they badly underestimated just how popular the Ciutat etc stuff would be and have acted now to avoid a mega crowd on Sunday. Personally think they should have announced early that they were raffling the limited number of tix but at least people know now if they can go or not. 

48 minutes ago, bobhoward said:

brunch on the beach in particular, the VIP scale back, the city gigs, the overcrowding, the complete disregard for sanitation during a pandemic, access ticket and the lack of options to resell if you caught covid or whatever.. just becoming less and less fun 

With exception of overcrowding all these issues aren’t a result of selling out though (in some cases they risk making them less profitable eg all the bonus ciutat gigs), they are the sign of poor organisation.

Certainly good organisation is possible as they’ve shown in previous years so next year need to revert to ‘what worked’ and will fix most of these.

• Upvote 1

With Primavera organising festivals all over the World and the new site in Madrid, so with the need to sell as many tickets as possible, I don't think we will go back to Primavera as it used to be. It has definitively lost its charme. In WE1 Mordor was dangerously overcrowded because Bits was undercrowded, this was obvious. 

Okay, going to be positive tonight. Just got into the festival site and felt the Primavera vibe right away. Entrance with Accesticket went well, only about 5-8 minutes to get in when they opened at 1600. Obviously no queues at the bars now, but it seems to be A LOT of people there ready for tonight.

Binance stage seems okay with the new placement. Sitting at the front of the stage now getting ready for Alex Cameron in 20 min. Fingers crossed that the bottleneck on the left side do not get too bad later during the festival. Weird that the passage there is so narrow. 

Only negative so far: 0,33 glasses. Insanely stupid. 50% hyped and I will finish that veer within 4 min...

Have fun at WK2 everyone! Hope you get a great experience.

2 minutes ago, pne094 said:

Only negative so far: 0,33 glasses. Insanely stupid. 50% hyped and I will finish that veer within 4 min..

My daily trick was to smuggle in tequila, buy two beers at a time and make VERY strong Desperados. 

It is a shame Primavera has come to this. Festivals all over the world implies they only see growth as a viable strategy. I cannot see them scale down the Barcelona event next year. Unfortunately. I may still go though. After all I have been to the last 11 editions. We will see.

I'm gonna try inject a dose of positivity for those going today as a weekend one survivor... 

Most of the major issues were resolved overnight Thursday. They seemed to learn lessons v quickly in terms of bar and water access, and I didn't see any crowd crushes/surges like those on day 1 again (and that was the quietest of the three days according to PS) 

Almost all the bands I saw were great. 

Its not the festival it was five years ago, but nothing is. The crowds are bigger and so are the acts in many cases - but a lot of the charm is still there. Where else do you get to see Dry Cleaning, Dua Lipa and Bicep, all while sitting next to the sea? 

There isn't another festival in the world that gives me that balance of music, weather and city access. 

I had a great time and, while I will wait to see the lineup for next year before I buy tickets, I wouldnt hesitate to return if I thought there was enough for me to see. 

I'm not discounting anyone else's views here - just thought I'd try offer my own too. 

Have a great time this weekend, folks. I'm incredibly jealous. 

*their comms is terrible. Always has been, apparently always will be... 😂

• Upvote 4