Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

3 minutes ago, Olivedal 1904 said:

I was quite far up front in the centre for FKA Twigs and didnt seem that crowded? Of course the space definitely gets quite full for the popular acts. But to me it has never felt uncomfortable or anything. 

The front is okay but if you are at the right side or the back, thousands of people are pushing in when the main stages finish. Especially in the back you'll have trouble getting out, because the stairs are so narrow and too many people are coming down 

Hoping that the exit at Mordor will relieve this situation a bit though.

Edited by Quadrophobia

4 minutes ago, Fabrizzo said:

Weird idea, if the Strokes did not arrive in time for the weekend they could play a concert at Poble Espanyol for those who have the wknd 1 ticket and remained at BCN ... 😬😬😬😬

Good idea for sure but maybe Poble Espanyol would be a bit small for the Strokes.

8 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Hoping that the exit at Mordor will relieve this situation a bit though.

Do you really think a lot of people will just leave post-headliners then? Dunno if I see it… more likely people leaving and then re-entering down the road only to try squeezing in to the other stages.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just had an email from BA and nearly shat myself ha! Just a courtesy about getting ready for my flight next week...

Had the exact same email and almost release of the bowels yesterday haha. 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Do you really think a lot of people will just leave post-headliners then? Dunno if I see it… more likely people leaving and then re-entering down the road only to try squeezing in to the other stages.

In the past, straying to the exit from Mordor gave an incentive to stop at Ray-Ban and watch whatever was playing there. Now the comfortable way to bed will probably be chosen by more people.

Just now, Quadrophobia said:

In the past, straying to the exit from Mordor gave an incentive to stop at Ray-Ban and watch whatever was playing there. Now the comfortable way to bed will probably be chosen by more people.

Also, you can't re-enter Primavera Sound after 3AM. Once you're out, you're done for the night (at least onsite).

I would bet a lot of people will be quite happy to leave directly from the main stages at 3am. Vast majority of the acts afterwards are DJs that many won't be interested in. 

ha - the whole easyjet thing is making an already nerve inducing situation even worse too - they're basically cancelling one flight from gatwick to barcelona a day this week (among lots of others, of course). real russian roulette stuff. but you can only see three days in advance.

1 minute ago, Quadrophobia said:

Maybe/hopefully you’re right, although don’t think that’s gonna help the likes of Caribou, Disclosure etc who start before the 3am cut off for re-entry, even if they do have headliner competition against them. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Maybe/hopefully you’re right, although don’t think that’s gonna help the likes of Caribou, Disclosure etc who start before the 3am cut off for re-entry, even if they do have headliner competition against them. 

Yeah I find it dangerously optimistic to put Caribou, The Smile and especially Disclosure on Ray-Ban.

5 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Yeah I find it dangerously optimistic to put Caribou, The Smile and especially Disclosure on Ray-Ban.

Was planning on watching The Jesus and Mary Chain before The Smile but you’ve got me worried now that I should just skip most of it to ensure a space in Cupra, especially as it doesn’t look like The Smile really have any stiff competition up against them (unless I’m underestimating the appeal of the likes of M.I.A and Burna Boy).

Was planning on watching The Jesus and Mary Chain before The Smile but you’ve got me worried now that I should just skip most of it to ensure a space in Cupra, especially as it doesn’t look like The Smile really have any stiff competition up against them (unless I’m underestimating the appeal of the likes of M.I.A and Burna Boy).

M.I.A will have a big draw. She should arguable have been a headliner in the first place. If I was going to W2 that would be the absolute worst clash of the festival for me. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I plan to catch the entire JAMC set and then head to the Smile. Don't think it will be that hard to get at least a decent spot. 

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

M.I.A will have a big draw. She should arguable have been a headliner in the first place. If I was going to W2 that would be the absolute worst clash of the festival for me. 

Think you’re massively overestimating her draw in 2022 tbh, but I guess we shall see. To me, she hasn’t done anything of note in… like over a decade, and she wasn’t exactly headliner level before that either. Be a crowd of people waiting to do finger guns to Paper Planes and not knowing much else. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I mean, you won't miss out on them but its gonna be crowded. 

Burna Boy and MIA will draw many people, but arguably are drawing quite different crowds

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Think you’re massively overestimating her draw in 2022 tbh, but I guess we shall see. To me, she hasn’t done anything of note in… like over a decade, and she wasn’t exactly headliner level before that either. Be a crowd of people waiting to do finger guns to Paper Planes and not knowing much else. 

I'd actually argue her and Interpol are basically the same in that respect

Hey all, this will be my third time in Primavera, having been in the 13-14 editions. Even then I remember last minute cancellations, devastating clashes, the huge rainstorm during John Grant, I also remember leaving the sets of loved bands like JAMC and Television early because I didn’t enjoy it and going to catch a few songs from a band like Blur and staying for their whole set mesmerised. 
For first comers I’d suggest not to overplan neither invest too much in a single band, just go with the flow, enjoy yourselves and allow time to rest, eat, visit the merch stand and record fair and soak in the atmosphere, otherwise you risk feeling burned out and the whole weekend being a blur of people on a stage. Also surprise yourselves by watching an artist you’d normally wouldn’t watch. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Neither have Massive Attack. Better yet look at how many festivals RATM are headlining and they haven't written an original song in 23 years. Doesn't mean anything. M.I.A headlines smaller festivals all the time, she could definitely have been an original headliner here if Interpol are. 

Edited by BenG92

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

Neither have Massive Attack. Better yet look at how many festivals RATM are headlining and they haven't written an original song in 23 years. Doesn't mean anything. M.I.A headlines smaller festivals all the time.

I mean, can’t really compare the legacy and back catalogues of Massive Attack and Rage before they essentially because heritage acts to that of M.I.A, but y’know, horses for courses I suppose. Like I say, maybe I’m completely underestimating her lasting appeal.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I mean, can’t really compare the legacy and back catalogues of Massive Attack and Rage before they essentially because heritage acts to that of M.I.A, but y’know, horses for courses I suppose. Like I say, maybe I’m completely underestimating her lasting appeal.

Yeah it's not like-for-like of course, but M.I.A has a bigger legacy than just "that paper planes song" even if she does owe something to Pineapple Express for getting her more fans 😅 The Smile will draw a crowd for the same reason they got that slot in the first place, they're half of Radiohead and people will consider just seeing Thom and Johnny perform value for money. Not that their album wasn't good, it was, but still.

3 minutes ago, Nesser said:

If your weekend is ruined because two (2) bands of the current line-up can't make it either you didn't prepare enough or this festival is not for you.

Just 4 more days.

It's not two at this point though, is it.

I just find this sort of attitude of really unhelpful and inconsiderate to people who – have pointed out multiple times in this thread over the past few pages – that they might not live in a place where these bands tour regularly, or may not be able to afford seeing bands' concerts individually. Spending hundreds of Euros/£s/$s on a festival experience and not seeing any of the large acts you really wanted to see is going to suck for a lot of people, regardless of how good the lineup is elsewhere. Primavera also sells a lot of day tickets, and those purchases are always heavily influenced by the strength of headline/sub-headliner acts that day.

I just think it's good for people to take a step back and remember that your experience of the festival, and your reason for buying the ticket, is not always the same as everyone else's. You may not give a shit that you won't see The Strokes or Massive Attack or King Gizzard or Brockhampton or C Tanaga etc – but plenty will.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6