Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

Caribou and Jamie are clashing because if they didn't, they'd have unmanageable crowds in both stages as these are both going to be popular sets. It's definitely frustrating but I'm not sure what else they could do besides putting Caribou or Jamie much earlier, which wouldn't feel right either.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

People were mentioning LCD Soundsystem or Arcade Fire as possible replacements, but I really can't see that happening. LCD's first gigs of the year are a run in London at the end of June, doubt they'll haul everyone/thing over to Spain several weeks before that for a once off.

Arcade Fire aren't touring again until the end of the summer, so highly unlikely to come to PS for a gig.

I'd say someone from W2 playing is far more likely. Phoenix, Interpol, YYYs etc.

Or someone like Foals, who are starting their festival dates in Poland on the Saturday, so should be able to play in Spain on Friday, assuming some agreement could be reached with Mad Cool if there's radius clauses...

More likely though, no-one. Several cancellations already with no replacements, including several of the larger Cituat gigs that just disappeared (and only acknowledged by PS when peple asked them on twitter etc). Probably just move Jamie XX into the Strokes slot and leave it at that.

Move Jamie XX to The Strokes slot and get Floating Points and Four Tet to do a B2B, as both are in Europe but for some silly reason aren't booked to play...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

People were mentioning LCD Soundsystem or Arcade Fire as possible replacements, but I really can't see that happening. LCD's first gigs of the year are a run in London at the end of June, doubt they'll haul everyone/thing over to Spain several weeks before that for a once off.

Arcade Fire aren't touring again until the end of the summer, so highly unlikely to come to PS for a gig.

I'd say someone from W2 playing is far more likely. Phoenix, Interpol, YYYs etc.

Or someone like Foals, who are starting their festival dates in Poland on the Saturday, so should be able to play in Spain on Friday, assuming some agreement could be reached with Mad Cool if there's radius clauses...

More likely though, no-one. Several cancellations already with no replacements, including several of the larger Cituat gigs that just disappeared (and only acknowledged by PS when peple asked them on twitter etc). Probably just move Jamie XX into the Strokes slot and leave it at that.

Really can't see it being Foals. Zero crossover from what I can see between PS and MC.

Phoenix are ruled out for the Friday and Saturday. LCD are European exclusive at BBK. Iggy Pop also ruled out. Arctic Monkeys not on tour till August. Yeah Yeah Yeahs free for all 3 days as are Interpol from the headliners from W2 so either of those two would look the most likely imo. Definitely wouldn't rule out AF though

Personally I'd be happy with them moving Beck up a slot and putting King Giz in his current slot, if we're to not get any replacement should they cancel

39 minutes ago, AlexTheKid48 said:

I really hope that they do not move Gizz to the main stage. Would be gutted. Primavera stage is the perfect spot for them!

Yeah but if everybody is there because of a Strokes cancellation it won't matter 😅

1 hour ago, purplecowz said:

Caribou and Jamie are clashing because if they didn't, they'd have unmanageable crowds in both stages as these are both going to be popular sets. It's definitely frustrating but I'm not sure what else they could do besides putting Caribou or Jamie much earlier, which wouldn't feel right either.

This "crowd management" thing is often repeated, but is clearly nonsense.

There's loads of acts where there's no-one similar scheduled to clash with them to "control crowds".

Tame Impala will probably be one of the biggest draws of the weekend, and there's basically no-one of note scheduled against them to realistically draw crowds away Not many Tame Impala fans are going to choose YLT or Cigarettes after Sex instead. Similarly Charli XCX's only real competition is Sharon Van Etten.

Lorde is basically only clashing with Giveon and The Murder Capital....

There's plenty of examples of big acts not having much competition, and certainly no-one similar that's going to split the fanbase.

There's certainly examples of it happening too, but I'm pretty sure that's simply just down to have a number of big acts who have to play around "peak time", and so there has to be clashes....

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

There's loads of acts where there's no-one similar scheduled to clash with them to "control crowds".

Tame Impala will probably be one of the biggest draws of the weekend, and there's basically no-one of note scheduled against them to realistically draw crowds away Not many Tame Impala fans are going to choose YLT or Cigarettes after Sex instead. Similarly Charli XCX's only real competition is Sharon Van Etten.

There's plenty of examples of big acts not having much competition, and certainly no-one similar that's going to split the fanbase.

There's certainly examples of it happening too, but I'm pretty sure that's simply just down to have a number of big acts who have to play around "peak time", and so there has to be clashes....

Lorde and Giveon do have a lot of shared fans I think. Especially for the more mainstream crowd, that listen mostly to the usual popular pop/R&B-songs. For two of my friends it's the worst clash of the weekend.

And Tame Impala/Cigarettes after Sex too for the 10's Indie-fans...

The problem is not the main stages, are the other ones. That is why, in some cases, they put two big names at the same time, being one at the main stages.

1 minute ago, MeMeMeM said:

I was trying to focus on how good it will be back to the Forum after 3 years...now, I am feeling really depressed

Yeah all of these acts (and big acts, at that) dropping like flies is pretty disheartening. It would be one thing if the festival had replaced Massive Attack/the other big dropouts so we could assume they’d do the same here, but they didn’t and so all I can think of is the lineup getting reshuffled and us getting a lesser festival because of it.