Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Fucking hell, we all knew there was a likelihood of acts dropping out because of COVID but The Strokes are essentially the big draw of the festival. I would say surely if they pull out they’ll have to replace them, but after Massive Attack I’m just not so sure. 

I wouldn’t mind to have Beach House movin’ up to day 2 for The Strokes replacement.  With their new record is the top selling album in America, I mean we can imply that they are one of the biggest draw of the fest right?

1 minute ago, Bram said:

I wouldn’t mind to have Beach House movin’ up to day 2 for The Strokes replacement.  With their new record is the top selling album in America, I mean we can imply that they are one of the biggest draw of the fest right?

In what world is Beach House’ new album the top selling album in America? 

And I don’t think they can just move acts to different days as that’ll piss off the day ticket holders.

3 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

They haven’t cancelled. Primavera is still a week away.

I think it's inevitable unfortunately. They're probably due to fly over in 4 days, so need a negative test and a full recovery by then, as well as no other cases between the group...

Just now, FloorFiller said:

In what world is Beach House’ new album the top selling album in America? 

And I don’t think they can just move acts to different days as that’ll piss off the day ticket holders.

Based on Stereogum & Pitchfork. this come as a surprise for me as well https://www.stereogum.com/2178029/beach-house-have-the-top-selling-album-in-america/news/amp/https://www.stereogum.com/2178029/beach-house-have-the-top-selling-album-in-america/news/amp/

https://pitchfork.com/news/beach-house-once-twice-melody-is-the-best-selling-album-in-the-us/amp/

Just now, Whos3000_ said:

The strokes and MA dropping would ask for no lesser act than NIN or Arcade Fire but it's not gonna happen

They’ve already set the precedent for dropouts with Massive Attack, but then The Strokes are arguably a bigger deal and leave a huge dent in weekend 1 so they’ve kind of dug themselves a hole of leaving people furious and asking questions whatever they do.

Hopefully the fact they haven’t outright cancelled already means they’re hopeful to be able to play Primavera, but at this point I think the festival is cursed and so we’ll find out they were out drinking with Pavement this week and watch the dominos fall.

16 minutes ago, Bram said:

Well a bit misleading as that’s based on vinyl sales (and not many of them).

12 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

I think it's inevitable unfortunately. They're probably due to fly over in 4 days, so need a negative test and a full recovery by then, as well as no other cases between the group...

I don't want to turn the discussion on covid because enough but it took 7 days for me to test negative with a rapid test and 12 with a PCR test. The timing was similar for other people I know so 4 days it's not enough time 

Manifesting the following;

- The Strokes unwilling to outright cancel as they know how much this gig will mean to their European fans

- Primavera panics and books a replacement for The Strokes (LCD or Arcade Fire)

- The positive member of The Strokes makes full and quick recovery at the last minute and go ahead with the show

- We end up with both of the bands and all is good

1 minute ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Manifesting the following;

- The Strokes unwilling to outright cancel as they know how much this gig will mean to their European fans

- Primavera panics and books a replacement for The Strokes (LCD or Arcade Fire)

- The positive member of The Strokes makes full and quick recovery at the last minute and go ahead with the show

- We end up with both of the bands and all is good

I like your optimism, but unfortunately see the most likely outcome being The Strokes don’t outright cancel until the very last minute and Primavera goes with the ‘welp too late to find a replacement’ excuse and they just bump somebody small up to fill the gap instead.

Although if they’re smart they’ll currently be scrambling to find a replacement who’s willing to jump in on late notice because the outcry to them not would be huge. 

Yeah, 6 days out I'm really not sure The Strokes will play, nor do I believe Primavera will replace them if they don't. Just being realistic here. 

At the very least it means I can see Earl and Gizzard then Simz on the Sunday. 

5 minutes ago, DDave said:

Please not NIN. Phoenix are playing in France that night. Lcd are European exclusives for BBK. 

All roads lead to Arcade Fire should the Strokes cancel. 

I think we will get nobody so I am not even going to start speculating to get disappointed again 🙃

The Strokes last played a show on May 21st so I assume they wouldn't have tested until yesterday as they were meant to fly out to play a show today. Maybe whoever is positive got it a week ago but is asymptomatic and therefore only found out yesterday due to having to test. So, that could potentially mean that they're nearing the end of their covid and might be fully recovered sooner than we think. I'm fully aware that this is just me being hopeful and over-optimistic though.